Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Chez

Potato varieties for storage?

What varieties can I plan to plant that will store well? My potatoe source has dried up Smile
sean

Wilja's a good all-rounder for cooking and stores well.
tahir

Anya lasts really well
wellington womble

Oh good. I haven't duck mine up yet (I didn't plant them till July, though)
Mistress Rose

King Edward is an old variety, but that stores well. I also grow Desiree which is also all right. The main thing is to have a cool, frost free, dark, place to store them. I can keep mine until about Christmas in the centrally heated house in a potato sack. It would be far better with a cellar, but we don't have one.
Green Rosie

Desiree does store well but I find it crops intermittently for me.
Chez

My supplier down the road looks to be back in business - the farmer died and I thought the family would stop; but they have signs up again, I've just paid 6 for 25kg of Wiljas. If they're going to continue doing it, then I guess that it's a better use of my space to grow more expensive things.

I reckon we get through about 100kg a year. What sort of cropping area do you think you'd need to get that?
gythagirl

Sarpo Miro keep well, crop well and are huge!
Green Rosie

I reckon we get through about 100kg a year. What sort of cropping area do you think you'd need to get that?

How long is a piece of string? Some years I get a fabulous crop but this year they went in late after a cold spring and got hit by blight early so were horribly small. Average commercial yield is around 40 tonnes per hectare so if my maths is right* for 100kgs you'll need around 25m2.

#Disclaimer - my maths could be totally wrong
wellington womble

You'd also need to be able to store them all year, which I don't think I could manage.
Green Rosie

If I manage to grow a good crop I generally find I can successfully store them only to March, not beyond.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home