Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Nell Merionwen

Potential workshops.

I have been gassing to Ginkotree this morning.
We are planning to put workshops into action in the future linked to Merionwen.
A weekend of teaching you how to make your own basic natural skincare potions.
We were originally talking about doing it in the future but there is a potential for doing it in August.
Would people be interested?
earthyvirgo

Can I be honest?
I'm going to be anyway.
In a well meaning way Smile

I don't fully understand why you're teaching people to make what you're aiming to sell.

Unless it's a very, very basic course.
Knowing how long it takes to prepare for a workshop, I think your time will be better spent producing the Merionwen range this early on.

EV
Nell Merionwen

Can I be honest?
I'm going to be anyway.

I don't fully understand why you're teaching people to make what you're aiming to sell.

Knowing how long it takes to prepare for a workshop, I think your time will be better spent producing the Merionwen range this early on.

EV

It will be basic...A sort of cosmetic store cupboard basics thing.
I plan to do it but I wasn't going to do it so soon.
Pilsbury

You need to be,in position to wholesale the ingredients needed to make the products to your students.
It really is not a great plan to teach people how to make what you sell and then send them off to source ingredients elsewhere. I know people can look round for other suppliers but the main reason we ran courses in the craft shop was so people could pick up stuff on te way out and come back next week for more.
We then went one step further and arranged craft fairs for the people to take a stall and sell what they made.
There has to be a way of funneling repeat business back to yourself.
Hairyloon

Re: Potential workshops.

We were originally talking about doing it in the future but there is a potential for doing it in August.

You mean last August?! Shocked
Nell Merionwen

You mean last August?! Shocked

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. I have a tardis and I'm not afraid to use it! Laughing
Nick

Can I be honest?
I'm going to be anyway.

EV

This.

Are you running a business selling cosmetics, or teaching? The more you teach the less you'll sell. And, I suspect, you shouldn't have the time.
Nick

But, I'm aware it's none of my business, and I'll shut up. Smile tahir

I'll shut up. Smile

That'll be the day Shocked
Nell Merionwen

I'll shut up. Smile

That'll be the day Shocked Funny Cathryn

But, I'm aware it's none of my business, and I'll shut up. Smile

Do you need someone to explain about the internet and forums to you?
Nell Merionwen

All feed back is useful. Nothing is set in stone. I'm just throwing idea around. Rob R

Can I be honest?
I'm going to be anyway.

EV

This.

Are you running a business selling cosmetics, or teaching? The more you teach the less you'll sell. And, I suspect, you shouldn't have the time.

Yeah, Nick used to be my best beef customer, until I sold him a cow...
Hairyloon

I suspect, you shouldn't have the time.
I have a tardis and I'm not afraid to use it! Laughing Nell Merionwen

I suspect, you shouldn't have the time.
I have a tardis and I'm not afraid to use it! Laughing
Exclamation
Nick

Can I be honest?
I'm going to be anyway.

EV

This.

I've got an empty freezer right now, to add insult to injury.
Nick

I'll shut up. Smile

That'll be the day Shocked

There are three F's in off.
Rob R

Can I be honest?
I'm going to be anyway.

EV

This.

Me too, I'm running out of stock.
sally_in_wales

speaking from the perspective of someone who has taught cosmetic making, definately do recipes that don't feature in your shop repertoire, and expect the biggest topic of conversation you have with people to go along the lines of
them asking: This is great, where can I buy the ingredients cheaper? I really want to make lots for the village craft fair.
Followed by you spending an hour explaining the cosmetic regulations in far more detail than you really wanted to whilst trying to be helpful about suppliers without giving away all your pet favourites, and at least one person getting the hump in a terribly genteel way because 'whats the point of going on a course if I can't immediately use it to turn a fast buck'. Or words to that effect. And thats based on courses where they are pitched as 'vaguely historic' and 'simple potions to enjoy at home'

They'll all be lovely people, you'll be great at it, but you will spend at least a week beforehand triple checking recipes, buying extra class hardware, printing handouts, fretting about timings and all that, and three days afterwards recovering not to mention all the half used packs of raw materials that you an't then use yourself because of non-sterile storage etc. Just be sure you can spare that amount of time and stress from your world domination plans.
sean

Can I be honest?
I'm going to be anyway.

EV

This.

You shouldn't have bought that homing cow. We tried to tell you.

@Nell: What everybody else says about the courses. You need to be building core business and repeat custom.
MornieG

Sorry Nell but I agree with the others. Especially at the start you are throwing potential business away by teaching others to make what you do, even if they buy the ingredients from you. They will go away and source cheaper ( tho' not necessarily better ) ingredients from elsewhere.

What about a ladies/hen pamper day/weekend. They come to learn the benefits of natural products, what's in them and what each ingredient does, how to select the best ones for their skin type, how and when to use each item. Arrange complimentary treatments, a masseur, manicure and pedicure, natural make up................having tried the products hopefully they go home having bought some.

Mo.XX
jamanda

That's a better idea. You do do a very good massage! earthyvirgo

Sorry Nell but I agree with the others. Especially at the start you are throwing potential business away by teaching others to make what you do, even if they buy the ingredients from you. They will go away and source cheaper ( tho' not necessarily better ) ingredients from elsewhere.

What about a ladies/hen pamper day/weekend. They come to learn the benefits of natural products, what's in them and what each ingredient does, how to select the best ones for their skin type, how and when to use each item. Arrange complimentary treatments, a masseur, manicure and pedicure, natural make up................having tried the products hopefully they go home having bought some.

Mo.XX

Big market too.

One of the recent Alex Polizzi programmes turned a failing Beauty/hair salon around with hen/Pamper evenings.

EV
Nell Merionwen

I like this idea a lot.
However, I do think I should stick a pin in it for at least the first year and build the business first.
Get me in my sensible hat!
jamanda

I like this idea a lot.
However, I do think I should stick a pin in it for at least the first year and build the business first.
Get me in my sensible hat!

Good hat wearing! Very Happy
sally_in_wales

good girl, I think thats the best decision Cool 12Bore

Is this Judith's Sensible Hat you're wearing, or your own?
I don't think that DS could cope with two Shocked
Cathryn

I also think that you are asking the wrong people if you ask on this forum. I don't think we are probably high end users of pampering cosmetics and personally I already make my own skin creams, not all the time but occasionally. You need to infiltrate a different site. Wink Barefoot Andrew

She has certainly taken charge of The Clipboard Shocked
A.
12Bore

She has certainly taken charge of The Clipboard Shocked
A.
*gulp*
Barefoot Andrew

Indeed. I have a to do list Shocked
A.
tahir

Is this Judith's Sensible Hat

Speaking of which, where is young Judith nowadays?
sean

Nobody knows. Though she's now a two-boat family allegedly. It's possible that this has disqualified her from sensible hat wearing. 12Bore

Nobody knows. Though she's now a two-boat family allegedly. It's possible that this has disqualified her from sensible hat wearing.
She prolly has a sensible hat with skull and crossbones on it.
Nell Merionwen

Indeed. I have a to do list Shocked
A.

and that is just the one you know about! Wink
sgt.colon

Can I be honest?
I'm going to be anyway.

EV

This.

And then he moooved on.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home