Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
SandraR

Poultry housing

I'm looking to buy a 'ready made' house (for 9 young Leghorns and a cockerel).

We (well OH) usually makes the houses but I need a 'temporary' one fairly soon.

We expect to do a certain amount of adjustments - extra ventilation, perch heights etc. ( why are houses nearly always made with the nestboxes higher or at the same level as the perches ?)

Any recommended companies please ?
Bodger

Its a problem with most of the houses that I've seen advertised. It shows me that while the people who make them might be good joiners, they certainly aren't poultry keepers. Access for the poultry keeper to clean out etc, is another area where many also let themselves down.
Best of luck with your search Sandra, let me know how you get on.
chez

Any good?

http://www.devonhenhouses.co.uk/

They say they'll do bespoke if you want it.
Bodger

" bespoke" is that Devonish for expensive? Shocked
SandraR

They are a bit aren't they? although to be fair they are better 'thought out' than most on the market.

The largest house for 20 is smaller than one of mine I house 12 in at a push.

I don't know what I want Rolling Eyes Maybe a live in carpenter for a month or so Smile
Nicky cigreen

you could try Tuckers in Ashburton. they have nothing on their website but they always seem to have poultry houses for sale
SandraR

OOOh I could do. I like it there.

Cornwall farmers have stopped doing them but they were pretty useless anyway.

I just want something to tide me over whilst I wait for OH to make one.
foggy

I've never actually been there, but in pictures they have hen houses outside:

redpost equestrian, just north of Totnes, as that may be a bit nearer to you.

http://www.redpostequestrian.co.uk/
foggy

You can bring me some hens too, if you like, as I live a bit further north of there Laughing
gritstone

Just buy a cheap shed or nail some pallets together with a tarpaulin roof if it's temporary. I suppose it depends on the length of time you need it and how many chickens you have to house.
Cathryn

I have some in a wired run (four fence posts, chicken wire and a chicken wire cover although I have used silage netting in the past). the house inside is three sides (an old cupboard with doors removed would work) and a perch (a tree branch works fine). They are happy and healthy and will be fine until I decide what I want to do with them.

These birds are yet another attempt at growing for meat. This time they seem to be mainly hens. We might eat them but it goes against the grain to eat nice laying birds. (Welsh Blacks from Castle Farm.)
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home