Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
tahir

Powertech solar

has been pestering me for an ad, I'm not sure myself, he's emailed me loads of bumpf, if anyone here would like to give their considered opinion I'd appreciate it:

BTW he's offered me a discount on a system...
tahir

Mr Solar has started posting, I'd like to respond to him re: his ad, any views appreciated...
sean

I don't know enough about it. Dougal's probably yer man for this sort of stuff isn't he?
tahir

sean wrote:
Dougal's probably yer man for this sort of stuff isn't he?

Yup
Treacodactyl

If he's posting is there any reason to not allow an ad? Has anyone vetted the other people to much extent?
dougal

I have already sent Tahir a PM with details of the Chinese manufacturers of "Powertech's" solar thermal collectors, flexible plastic pipe and wind turbine.
These products are claimed to be "Powertech's" when actually Powertech just has the sole agency for the UK on these products.

They don't seem to *make* anything.
I'm not sure the extent to which they *install* much themselves. They get "installers" across the country to sign up for "training" before they are allowed to supply the kit. Which makes it seem like a franchise operation...
Their website doesn't seem to have *any* indication of prices. Rolling Eyes
They don't give any indication of selling bits to folk with the Downsizer DIY ethos.

I note that Tahir was offered a discount (from what?) to facillitate an advert - rather than a discount for anyone responding via the site...
Has anyone seen double glazing ads offering discounts without stating the price? I see it all the time.

I dunno if their kit works well or not.
Air source heat pumps are noisy and so more used in urban/commercial/industrial applications than rural/domestic.

I think the more important question is whether or not there is any filter on who adverts are taken from.
Would Downsizer carry an ad from Tesco, Playboy or KFC?
If not, why not?
Can the 'why not' be expressed as a policy?

Powertech is now 15% owned (with an option to increase to 30%) by a company with publicly traded (Ofex not London Stock Exchange listed) shares.

Is there any question of Downsizer being seen to endorse products or services? Which happens the moment anyone says there IS an ethical filter ("Look, we passed").
And is there any length/datasize/bandwidth limitation to such promotion?

Hasn't this ever come up before?

One way around the problem might be to have Powertech write up a specific install or two, giving all the costs and performance figures, *without* shameless excessive self-promotion, other than references to their own website. And that article would naturally be subject to sub-editing.

My feeling is that the ethos was to provide a marketplace for ethical small traders, not stock market quoted companies. So a project report using the kit they import, just fine. "Our stuff is best, ignore the others", no thanks.
Whether there is any overt ethical filter, there's no harm in a *size* filter.

Just as a Downsizer-Tech point, I presume there could easily be a link on the page triggering a pre-set 'search all forums for "Powertech" query', such that anyone taking issue could be directly linked in...
It might be an idea for other articles too (find all threads mentioning "rosehip" or "pasta" or "wind turbine" or "biodiesel" or "cold smoker OR cold smoking" or "Mullacott") - yep, its doing people's thinking for them, but there's no harm in helping those that need the help...
Jonnyboy

Just reading Dougal's post has got me thinking that there are companies who are jumping on the 'renewables' band wagon just to get a share of the huge subsidies, If I could put a company in that box then this one would appear to be it.

Just because a company is into renewable energy doesn't make it ethical. I think that at the very least we should park this until he proves himself a bit more through time and rep. on the fora.
jema

I agree with parking this. We cannot be a free for all advertising system and solar panels are all to frequently up there with double glazing in the dodgy dept.
tahir

dougal wrote:
I think the more important question is whether or not there is any filter on who adverts are taken from.
Would Downsizer carry an ad from Tesco, Playboy or KFC?
If not, why not?
Can the 'why not' be expressed as a policy?

Good point dougal, we definitely need to know who we're prepared to take ads from and why
sean

I agree with Dougal that it would be easier to have a size filter than an ethics filter. Given the rest of Dougal's post I'm also in agreement with fobbing Mr Solar off for now.
I get flyers from firms like his most weeks.
dougal

dougal wrote:
One way around the problem might be to have Powertech write up a specific install or two, giving all the costs and performance figures, *without* shameless excessive self-promotion, other than references to their own website. And that article would naturally be subject to sub-editing.

I don't see the harm in publishing "case studies" with real costs and independently-confirmed performance numbers.
And would expect that "Mr X of Southampton" (or whoever the client was) would need to be verifiable.
Without those three elements, it'd be pure promotion.
And I'd be quite happy to see similar articles by, say, BP's solar division...
But I don't think Downsizer should be carrying *adverts* for BP.
jema

Jonnyboy wrote:
. I think that at the very least we should park this until he proves himself a bit more through time and rep. on the fora.

This reminds me a bit of footprints and his water filters. If he had come in and asked for an advert on joining I would have been against it.

Reputation has to count for a lot on downsizer.
Treacodactyl

Yep, I'm happy with what dougal says. It's much easier on size and forum membership than vetting the product as we have the filters, card adverts and oils which haven't been vetted as such, they are just members who are running thir own small business.
tahir

OK I've said that a link in oyur Links directory is fine, didn't mention an ad. He says he'll be commenting on topics in his field of expertise on the forum and submitting breaking news also.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home