Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Pray for me

So it turns out any forgotten cucamelon fruits WILL sprout and reach 4 inches tall in the couple of days you leave the greenhouse unattended.

I still have three jars of pickled ones to get through.
sean

You could just dig them up and chuck them in the bin. Growing stuff that you don't actually like eating seems to be a general thing. Just say no.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Surprised
sacrilege!

Nah, I mean they're tasty, but a bit like courgettes in that relentless, horrifying, production. And nobody has any recipes for them Laughing
Nick

You could just dig them up and chuck them in the bin. Growing stuff that you don't actually like eating seems to be a general thing. Just say no.

Broad beans. Spinach. Fish.
wellington womble

Mine are sulking. They germinated weeks ago and are only a couple of inches tall. I was hoping to stuff a child with them...
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Don't be fooled!

Last June:

July (more than one plant!):

Chez

Artichokes. They're very *prolific*, aren't they?
NorthernMonkeyGirl

The Jerusalem type? Dunno, I've killed all-but-two of them
Chez

No, the take-so-long-to prepare-that -arvo -wont -cook -them type. They seem to like the soil. I'm glad I'm not the only Jerusalem Artichoke Murderer.
Behemoth

You've killed Jerusalem artichokes? What with?
Cathryn

Salt winds. I think I managed one small crop.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

A dual attack of neglecting the tubers until slightly wrinkled, then cruelly leaving them to drown in "soil".
Which means the two I have now will survive any impending apocalypse Laughing
wellington womble

Don't be fooled!

Last June:

July (more than one plant!):

Really? how marvellous! Mine look just like the first picture. Perhaps I'll only pot on one of them, though.

I don't grow broad beans anymore. Or fish.
dpack

i planted 9 courgette/marrow type cos i need 2 at most

8 came up and im loathe to murder them but it is 3 too many in each fishbox Rolling Eyes
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I've killed all the squashy things too Sad gardening-girl

My cucamelons are in the same stage as your first photo. wellington womble

Should we don protective clothing, do you think? Oh, I've just remembered I planted exploding cucumbers, too. NorthernMonkeyGirl

Found another baby cucamelon tonight, and a cluster of possible cucamelonettes... Mistress Rose

Only one of my squashes survives. 2 didn't come up and one succumbed to something, so hoping the one, which is now in the greenhouse, will do its duty. I have 2 courgettes planted out, so hoping nothing will eat them. wellington womble

I have loads of squashes (badly in need of planting out, mind) and they've all germinated. Last year I planted one courgette and it died! Mistress Rose

They can be very temperamental can't they. It seems if you sow lots they all come up and it you only sow a few they refuse. NorthernMonkeyGirl

I have baby squashes coming up amidst the cucamelons now Rolling Eyes the perils of home composting! LynneA

If only I could loan you the little bastard squirrels from my garden.

As per usual, they decided to nibble every viable fruit on the cooking apple tree just after I had thinned them.

Today discovered they had pre-emptively eaten the roots of one of my sweet potato plants Evil or Very Mad

Mind you, they never touch the Mashua. I think they're a little scared of getting tangled in it, it grows so fast.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home