Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
misty07

pre pay credit card?

im thinking of getting a pre paid card due to me all over the country and using for emergencies. I have looked on google at top 10 etc etc thats it. has anyone got one ? Reccamend one? upsides? downsides? i have bad credit history so i need to boost that also so getting the card will help me in this fact. any help would be great cheers matty.
chez

We just have a separate current account that we use for expenses for work - we top it up when we know we are going to need it. It has a visa-debit card.
Penny Outskirts

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cards/prepaid-cards

Have a look through this hun, may help you.
misty07

all very confusing to me

im looking to get one for me traveling about and want one that i can use abroad aswell my account im in arrears. i get paid into my OH's account and she pays into my account enough to get my direct debit for my loan and thats all that goes in and out of my account. as my account is screwed i cannot open another account have tried on more than one occasion but they wont allow me . so basicly my OH does all the money things if i want money i just take some out with OH's consent as she has all the cards. i would spend on crap i dont need or useless stuff. well i may find a use one day before i die. so i dont want a monthly cost dont want to really pay to set up as such will be putting on £100 a month i suppose to fund days im away kind of if i forget my lunch i could use it in tesco's when i fuel up or a services or as like last week i could of bought a present for OH on the ferry or in extream cases i can pay for fuel when the fuel cards dont work or something beyond my control does that make sense?
chez

All banks are now obliged to provide a 'numpty bank account' for people who's credit history is shot. The application is sometimes turned down on the first round; but you can appeal and they put it through.

We have one at Barclays. You need to go in to the branch to apply.

http://www.barclays.co.uk/Currentaccounts/Packagedaccounts/CashCardAccount/P1242557963900

HTH.
djoptix

im looking to get one for me traveling about and want one that i can use abroad

Cards that give you a good deal in the UK on normal stuff will generally be extortionate for using abroad - high withdrawal fees at cashpoints, as well as percentage added on top of whatever you use.

We have a FairFX prepaid card that we use when we are in France and I can't recommend it highly enough if you need a card for the Euro zone. You can get one for free through the Moneysavingexpert forum - click here for the special link to get it free rather than the usual price of £10, providing you load it with €20. (note that the card is in Euros, so you can't use it in the UK.)

There's a cashpoint fee of €1.50 with each withdrawal, but that's better than most UK bank account cards. You can use it anywhere you could use a Mastercard. You top it up online, paying in with your debit card (takes a few hours from when you pay for the FairFX card to get credited) or by direct bank transfer (takes a couple of days).

You can do a lot of other cool stuff, like buy Euros in advance, but the main thing is that it's incredibly convenient and the rate you get is better than almost all high street places. PLUS - it's one of the very few cards that is free to use to book Ryanair, so effectively it saves us £10 every time we fly.

My advice would be to get a FairFX card for use abroad, and get a different one for the UK.

HTH Smile
paul1963

Pre paid credit card? I am not sure how these work - surely that is just the same as a current account card? Can anybody enlighten me please? Very Happy
Nick

Pre paid credit card? I am not sure how these work - surely that is just the same as a current account card? Can anybody enlighten me please? Very Happy

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?p=1057452#1057452
paul1963

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?p=1057452#1057452

Cheers Nick, I should probably have read that link in the first place Embarassed It sounds as if the pre paid credit card money make a bit out of you having money on the card and you get the convenience of being able to use a card into the bargain.

A credit card with 28 days interest free would do as well or (if there are any still out there) a current account that pays interest. Very Happy
Nick

Yeah, but they are handy for people with bad credit history, or under 18. And, as people say, there are fringe benefits, such as being able to not pay Ryan air too much. paul1963

Yeah, but they are handy for people with bad credit history, or under 18. And, as people say, there are fringe benefits, such as being able to not pay Ryan air too much.

Fair point Very Happy
djoptix

fringe benefits, such as being able to not pay Thieving Cattletruck Lowest-of-the-low Air too much

EFA.
sean

My advice would be to get a FairFX card for use abroad, and get a different one for the UK.

HTH Smile

Just ordered one of these for the holidays. I shall report back.
Shane

fringe benefits, such as being able to not pay Thieving Cattletruck Lowest-of-the-low Air too much

EFA. Now I'm not sure, but I think somebody may have an axe to grind Nick

EFA. Now I'm not sure, but I think somebody may have an axe to grind

It's pretty accurate, however.
woody guthrie

I have a 3v card which I use for ebay and Ryan Air, I can load up to €350 on it. Can't use it over the counter though but I was thinking of getting the O2 pre pay card as it's cheaper to load money on and you can use it as a credit card in shops etc.

I know it's the done thing to slag off Ryan Air but if you take it at face value and know it's not going to be the most pleasant way of travelling by air but it allows you to access cheap travel throughout most of Europe. I nipping over to the UK just for a day and a half and the total return flight cost is €42, which is less than the train ticket to get me to the airport. Aer Lingus is a lot more but you do get a breakfast and a newspaper!
Marches

Re: pre pay credit card?

im thinking of getting a pre paid card due to me all over the country and using for emergencies. I have looked on google at top 10 etc etc thats it. has anyone got one ? Reccamend one? upsides? downsides? i have bad credit history so i need to boost that also so getting the card will help me in this fact. any help would be great cheers matty.

I have a Virgin Money Pay-as-you-go pre-paid Mastercard.

Most ore-paid cards charge a monthly or yearly fee as well as top-up and transaction fees, the Virgin Money card only charges the top-up and transaction fees and they're around 3% or something like that.

I use it for buying books off Amazon and paying bills sometimes, it costs £10 to buy initially but it comes in handy.
The minimum amount you can put on at any time is £10 and there's a balance and statement checking service on their website.

http://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/prepaid-card/apply.jsp
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home