Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
perlogalism

Price for half a Lamb?

We've got a couple of year olds which need to go and we don't have enough room in the freezers to house them. We've a number of friends and neighbours who would have a half but haven't got a clue how much to charge them. What do you reckon for "mates rates"?
sean

I dunno really. Rob R's at 150 for a whole one butchered and packed if that gives you an idea.
Marionb

We charged 65 for half a lamb which included butchers fee for killing and cutting
Rob R

I don't know about mates rates, as it'll depend how good of a mate they are.

Deadweight price at the moment is around 4 per kg, so for a 20kg carcass that's 80, plus your killing & butchering charges, maybe 30, plus 10 for your time, fuel, etc. so perhaps 60 per half is your 'break even' (gross margin, ie not taking into account any fixed costs).
perlogalism

Thanks all, that give me something to work from.
Nick

Think carefully about mates rates. They might be doing you a favour, if you've got overstock, but it doesn't do the market any good, and you'll struggle to put prices up next time, or when a mate of a mate wants one.

A good leg of lamb will cost 30 or so, 15 for a shoulder, a tenner for a rack, fiver for a shank, another tenners worth of mince, few quid for neck fillet, and breast. Liver and kidneys? A bit more.

So, what would they pay at a decent butcher for a half? I'm guessing at 75/80, so I'd start there. Feel free to adjust my butchers prices, it's been a long time since I bought mine there.
Cathryn

We charged friends 75 this time, warning them that it would be more next time. Trying to remember the weight but a little bit over 20 i think. They want more next time. They had to take it all though and I haven't worked how much it will actually cost next time. (My assistant lambing rate varies from amazingly cheap to far more than he can possibly afford, ever.)

I cost in being faced with five carcasses to process at short notice with being able to ring friends and have them buy and collect some of it also with short notice. We're obviously not as organised as everyone else though. Smile
Rob R

I cost in being faced with five carcasses to process at short notice with being able to ring friends and have them buy and collect some of it also with short notice. We're obviously not as organised as everyone else though. Smile

Why is it short notice, does your butcher collect and kill them without telling you...? Very Happy
Cathryn

No, but we have inadequate diaries, in fact we had too many diaries, one of them included the date to collect from the abattoir, the other the date when we were going away. And then of course there was my work diary...

I had a flashback then! Your lamb sounds too cheap Rob! Smile
perlogalism

Think carefully about mates rates. They might be doing you a favour, if you've got overstock, but it doesn't do the market any good, and you'll struggle to put prices up next time, or when a mate of a mate wants one.

Fair enough but in 6 years, these are the first I've had to find homes for. We normally manage to eat all ours Wink Just now though, I have a partially flooded field, no grass, enough Mutton in the freezers for well over a year and these haven't cost me anything up to now. I'd rather let them go before the feed bill, vets bills etc, come in.
Nick

Makes sense. Smile Rob R

Lamb trivia; It takes 980 litres of water, 1.25 at todays prices, to produce a lamb. sean

If it's only 1.25 for that much water and lamb is roughly 2/3 water (same as mammals generally) surely they should be cheaper. Wink Rob R

I had a flashback then! Your lamb sounds too cheap Rob! Smile

In that case, how many shall I put you down for? Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home