Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
markjadams

Price of a nuc or full hive of bees

Does anyone know what the current going rate is for a nuc or full hive of bees.

I have a few that I need to sell but have no idea what the current price should be.

I am in Wales.
Chez

I think Joanne sold some of hers for 120 a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure how many frames that was with.

I wish you were closer - I'd like a nuc up here, and we are less than three miles away from my Ma's, so I can't split her hive!
gardening-girl

I paid 100 for a small colony on 11 frames last July.
joanne

I think Joanne sold some of hers for 120 a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure how many frames that was with.

I wish you were closer - I'd like a nuc up here, and we are less than three miles away from my Ma's, so I can't split her hive!

That was for a 5 frame nuc and I would say it's on the low side now.
markjadams

My Nucs are on 6 national frames, full hives are on national frames.
Mustang

I was chatting to two professional beekeepers who have nucs. They were charging 25 and 33 per frame (for a National frame).
Tavascarow

For a five frame nuc from a reputable source with a young tested queen the going rate here is between 150 & 200.
I've seen them cheaper, but beware that some will put an untested queen in the box with frames of brood from a variety of hives.
So it might look like a prosperous colony & prolific queen but could end up a breeder of bad tempered bees a poor layer or even a drone layer.
We bought a couple of colonies last year from a local beekeeper who was downsizing, one full to the brim with bees the other not much more than a nuc for 200.
Which IMHO was a bargain.
I split the large colony three ways so we ended the season with four colonies for 200.00.
Lorrainelovesplants

250 from the bee centre at Polzeath, which is a bit steep.
markjadams

I think I will settle on 150 for bees on 6 national frames and 190 if the reusable 6 frame poly nuc box is being kept.

Does this sound reasonable?
joanne

Sounds very reasonable to me
Tavascarow

250 from the bee centre at Polzeath, which is a bit steep.
Are you sure? Friends of mine have just bought a nuc from there with a 2013 queen for 165.00. Tavascarow

Scrap that they bought it from Porteath not Polzeath. Razz
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home