Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Treacodactyl

Price of English Apples

A few weeks ago I bought some English Cox's grown at our local farm shop. They had just been picked and tipped into a huge box for you to help yourself. All sorts of different shape and sizes.

Just bought some English Cox's from our local Waitrose, which is much closer to us. They are a much more uniform size and have been put in trays to protect them and all have a sticker on them to identify them.

Now the farm shop ones have much less wasteage as there's no food miles, no packaging and the misshapen ones are not sorted out.

So can someone explain why Waitrose charge 1.79 a kilo and the farm shop 1.99?
Bernie66

Economies of scale, whilst the farm shop is nearer to source and poorer quality the "cost to sell" is much higher per worked hour in the shop. The wages and overheads per pound taken in the farm shop will be way way above that of a supermarket.
wellington womble

Because the farmer gets a decent cut, instead of being forced to the brink of bankrupcy?
Rosa

purchasing power Smile
tahir

wellington womble wrote:
Because the farmer gets a decent cut, instead of being forced to the brink of bankrupcy?

Absolutely (although that's definitely on the high side, our farm shop charges between 1.35-1.60 depending on variety)
Jonnyboy

Re: Price of English Apples

Treacodactyl wrote:

So can someone explain why Waitrose charge 1.79 a kilo and the farm shop 1.99?

It's a good point. It could be as simple as the farm shop taking the pi$$, but it could be they buy from a small orchard and Waitrose buy from a huge one. Unless we have a cost breakdown of the price it's pretty impossible to know for sure.
Bernie66

To me its a case of labour cost. One person can take 6k a day in a supermarket, in a farm shop its unlikely so the margin on each sale has to be higher in the small shop.

They could be taking the piss i guess, I just always see the good in people though.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home