Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
SandraR

Price of honey

It's been a very good year for the bees, resulting in plenty of honey - so what price are people charging this year for a 12oz jar sold at the gate?

I completely forgot to look at the local show at the weekend.
Chez

The chap on the seafront at Blue Anchor is charging 4.50 for a 1lb jar at the gate. He's *right* next to the cafe and the steam railway station, though, so might be priced accordingly.
crofter

2014 honey on ebay for 12.99 / kg

I would charge 5 per jar. If nobody buys it, lower the price a little.
Tavascarow

5.00 a lb is the going rate in these parts last time I checked.
Lorrainelovesplants

Ive just checked my bees - not happy.

2 secret swarms and Im now got 2 colonies queenless. grrrr.

Tav - you dont have a spare mated queen do you?
Lloyd

I saw a house in the Cotswolds yesterday with a sign at the gate selling at 3.50 for a 1lb jar.

Last year an apiarist removed a swarm from our garden and gave us a jar in return, if that comparison can be used as a guide?
arvo

Reckon that's cheap Lloyd. It's been 4.50 /lb for the longest time round here.
Lloyd

Reckon that's cheap Lloyd. It's been 4.50 /lb for the longest time round here.

Cool, I'll buy a couple of jars next week! Very Happy
Tavascarow

Ive just checked my bees - not happy.

2 secret swarms and Im now got 2 colonies queenless. grrrr.

Tav - you dont have a spare mated queen do you?

Fraid I don't.
woodsprite

3.50 a LB jar round here. Mistress Rose

Things do vary in price depending on where you live. Sorry about your bees Lorraine. Are there no queen cells? Could you combine them with a colony with a queen? Not ideal, but at least you will get something out of the remaining bees. Lorrainelovesplants

I am combining, but Id rather not. Took my eye off the ball for a few days - my fault. Still, I have 1 colony with a queen - could be worse. Tavascarow

It's not to late to raise new queens.
Put a frame of eggs in from the other hive & they will be fine.
Neighbours of mine raised queens in September last year & they mated & overwintered OK.
Lorrainelovesplants

no eggs at all. Lorrainelovesplants

Actually, not true. I have a queen in one hive with eggs, but already tried this and failed. Cathryn

Priceless. (Cos I only have a few pounds and didn't expect any at all this year.)

Jamanda

That looks wonderful Very Happy dan1

Going for 5.50 a lb in Bristol!

On a related note; where's a good place to source personalized honey jar labels?
tahir

Priceless. (Cos I only have a few pounds and didn't expect any at all this year.)

Nice labels
Cathryn

Cut out with scissors and glued on with pritt stick. Smile Must try and get some to you if I ever have anymore. tahir

No worries, bit too far to worry about getting us some (thanks though Smile ) Dogwalker

Now if you really want to get some to Tahir,
get it to me before Christmas and my daughter will take it back to Chelmsford and he can collect from her.

She took loads of mine back last year and sold it to friends at the gym for 6 a lb. Very Happy
tahir

Ooerr! We could trade for some jam... sean

Or bespoke furniture... tahir

Hah! Blinking well hope not Cathryn

Tahir, I do not want to trade with you, you are quite hopeless at it, you don't seem to have even grasped the basics.

If I think there is a chance of seeing dogwalker then I will drop a (very) few jars with her 'cos you are looking at my entire harvest in that photo and we've eaten some of it. Smile We do have family in London though, just at the opposite end to you but I will keep it in mind next time we are there.

We don't eat much jam. (And now he probably won't speak to me ever again.)

By the way, why don't you have hives among the fruit trees? They don't have to be your own.
tahir

Tahir, I do not want to trade with you, you are quite hopeless at it, you don't seem to have even grasped the basics.

Is that why my business is almost failing? Laughing
tahir

By the way, why don't you have hives among the fruit trees? They don't have to be your own.

We do but Dave has hardly harvested anything since he's had the hives here, 6 jars maybe?

I'm hoping we'll get something this year
Cathryn

Is that why my business is almost failing? Laughing

Did I say anything? Wink
tahir

Picking up lots of tips from Mr Newby Wink Cathryn

Irresistible. Smile tahir

It's great, really lovely. Ta v much Smile Nick

Get a room, you two. woody guthrie

I have about 40 lbs of honey left after I've given presents to friends, a bit of bartering, gifts for the children's teachers, made a few gallons of mead and some to the man who lets me house a couple of hives in his orchard. Today we asked the lady on the market who sells organic veg if she would be willing to sell some and she said she'd take all we have at 6 Euro a pound jar. Really pleased to sell all our excess in one go at a fair price.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home