Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Green Rosie

Price of Kune Kune Weaners

We are going to sell some of our KK weaners this year. What price do people on here sell them for and at what age?
T.G

KK weaners were going for free towards the end of last year, i've seen them as low as 20 so far.

Market price for weaners is dreadful locally, chelford market had reports of them selling as little as 10, so the local pig breeders were telling me and a pig breeder friend was told by selby market not to bring theirs in as prices were so low.

Yet other farmers have told me there is a pig shortage due to folk ditching them into the market when the feed prices started to rise. So if thats the case it will only take a few weeks, it's thought, for weaner prises to rise and probably be more expensive than last year.

Lamb and beef prices are rising or holding their own; confirming this with my butcher who said to hold back selling weaners if you can.

I think the private market is better, I've friends who are selling weaners privately at 40 - 50, berkshire, OSB, lops and tamworths, and porkers seem to be holding their price.

HTH
mochyn

But Rosie's in France...
Truffle

Well I'd like to try KK for the grazing qualities (lower feed costs)- if you've got a source for 20, please let me know!
Di Howes

I think you will find that the ones going through the market are probably unregistered Kune Kunes which are fine to raise for meat but no good if you intend to breed. It also would seem that the price obtainable for Kune Kunes can vary depending on where you live in the country.

I have 3 lovely gilts suitable for breeding (black and white and with piri piri) and I am asking 100 each for them. If I can't sell them then they will make into sausages.

I have just read this again and should explain I would rather make them into sausages than send them through a market.
T.G

But Rosie's in France...
Yes I realise but she asked what our prices were Wink
T.G

Well I'd like to try KK for the grazing qualities (lower feed costs)- if you've got a source for 20, please let me know!

KK pig breeders of registered KK pigs have been struggling to sell them for sometime and will often give castrates away, try the KK society website.

If you aren't wanting pedigree stock try preloved.
TRUELLA

I breed registered Kune Kune's & at the moment (thanks to the non-existant 'micro/mini pigs that grow' selling them is difficult! Unregistered your looking at between 20 - 50 each, registered between 100 - 150 each. Good luck! Green Rosie

I was just thinking today I'd not read through this thread properly - some-one we spoke to here said they sold al their KK weaners for around 50 but I'm not sure if they were registered or not. Chez

Jo S says she sold her weaners for 40, unregistered. Bodger

I've seen plenty of KK's about and rightly or wrongly, I consider them to be pets rather than practical pigs.
I stand to be corrected of course and I no doubt will be, but going on their size, conformation and very importantly on the fact that they cost the same to have slaughtered as any other larger pig breed, are they really worth having ? They may be nice to look at but what use are they?
oaklandspigs

very importantly on the fact that they cost the same to have slaughtered as any other larger pig breed, are they really worth having ? They may be nice to look at but what use are they?

No definitive answer here I suspect passions on both sides!

One KK breeder I know uses them on pasture supplemented with small amounts of concentrate, so reckons they cost less to get to slaughter than other breeds, hence making economic sense.

Some say they root less (not my personal experience) so cause less damage to the land, so are worth it for that

Others have them cos they like the look of them.

Plenty eat them, and say their great as long as you don't let them run to fat.

We have one in our herd as and will xbreed her for meat pigs, will let you know what they turn out like !
T.G

My kk's dead weight was between 80kg and 95kg. So not that small I have more buyers than I can service for their sausage, horses for courses.

My reg boar is bigger than that, as are other peoples boars I know, I don't know why people have this idea that kK's are all small, yes there are some small ones out there. Smile
Shan

We have quite a small KK but having said that her mother is twice her size. Her brothers were bigger than her mother and like TG, we had them killing out between 70 kg's and 90 kg's. In fact, Piglet was the only small one in the litter. We have kept her because she is a terrific companion pig.

KK's do tend to be quite economical through Spring and Summer because as long as you have good grazing, you really don;t need to give them much else. Some root and some don't.

PS Cross breeding KK's with Berkshires works very well.
Shan

Just to add, they can and do get fat on grazing.

I allow ours to do so because the fat is invaluable for charcuterie and for lard. I like to do quite a few duck confits and pig lard is a wonderfully neutral fat for this.
Bodger

What age are you taking them through to, to get to that dead weight ? Green Rosie

We like them BECAUSE they are small and we slaughter ourselves so they are a lot easier to handle. Ours eat a lot of grass (and do dig) and not over much bought in food. They are very friendly which is a must for us with guests staying here and we like the taste of the meat. TBH we weren't expecting to have weaners to sell on but a change of circumstance has meant that this year we do have. Shan

What age are you taking them through to, to get to that dead weight ?

About 8 months.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home