Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
judith

Price of woodland

I know this is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" sort of question, but does anyone have a rough idea about prices? Does it tend to follow the price of agricultural land, for example?
A couple of small plots have come up locally and we're thinking of putting in an offer on one - only we've no idea where to start negotiations.
sally_in_wales

http://www.woodlands.co.uk/ help at all?
tahir

TD might be able to help, Woodsman used to have a plot in Wales didn't he?
judith

Thanks for the link, Sally. I'll take a look.

tahir wrote:

ISTRC W's was in Shropshire, but it might be a guide. Haven't seen him around lately though.

Any ideas TD?
tahir

judith wrote:
Haven't seen him around lately though.

He's posted today
judith

That was good timing Laughing
CP

it was in shropshire, i'll give him a nudge, see if i can wake him up Wink
judith

Thanks CP!
dpack

check the details of acceptable use ,proposed plans etc Wink
from experience woods can range from free to quite costly .
Andy B

tahir wrote:

It was near Telford, he wanted about £18,000.00 for what was about 4-5 acres in a much larger wood, i think.
Depends on the quality of the wood but £20-25,000.00 for 5 acres is about average, but it ususally wont be a stand alone sight but part of a much bigger wood.
judith

Thanks Andy, that's very useful. So we are talking about 4 - 5k per acre.
We haven't seen the plots yet, but they are discrete woods, rather than part of a larger whole, so I'm hoping they will be a nice mix of deciduous.
CP

Andy B wrote:
tahir wrote:

It was near Telford, he wanted about £18,000.00 for what was about 4-5 acres in a much larger wood, i think.
Depends on the quality of the wood but £20-25,000.00 for 5 acres is about average, but it ususally wont be a stand alone sight but part of a much bigger wood.

Yes, it was part of a very large woodland, very nice but full of nasty biting midges Evil or Very Mad
wellington womble

There is a small woods association, which might have some useful info (assuming they have a website somewhere)
Andy B

judith wrote:
Thanks Andy, that's very useful. So we are talking about 4 - 5k per acre.
We haven't seen the plots yet, but they are discrete woods, rather than part of a larger whole, so I'm hoping they will be a nice mix of deciduous.

If you get the chance to buy something discrete go for it, they very rarely come up. My last attempt was ruined by an unexpected job loss issue, still pissed off about it now.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home