Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Lorrainelovesplants

printed labels for egg boxes

Im looking to print labels for egg boxes. OH suggested printing our own avery type labels, but I think this will not be cost effective compared to getting them done at a local printers.
I will do an initial run of about 500, and need adhesive labels about 3 inches X 5 inches. I have seen some software on poultry keepers almanac, but would like to know if anyone has this, to get feedback on it.
I'd like to incorporate a photo of one of our hens in colour with black type - quite simple.
Becki

I print mine out on the PC and glue them on. Extremely cost effective Very Happy
Mary-Jane

Re: printed labels for egg boxes

Lorrainelovesplants wrote:
Im looking to print labels for egg boxes. OH suggested printing our own avery type labels, but I think this will not be cost effective compared to getting them done at a local printers.
I will do an initial run of about 500, and need adhesive labels about 3 inches X 5 inches. I have seen some software on poultry keepers almanac, but would like to know if anyone has this, to get feedback on it.
I'd like to incorporate a photo of one of our hens in colour with black type - quite simple.

I was thinking of doing the same thing Lorraine, so I''m glad you've raised this in here. I'd be very interested in seeing what others do. Where do you get your egg boxes from by the way? I need to order some in now and I'm not sure where/what is the most cost effective way of doing it.
Lorrainelovesplants

Ascott was the cheapest at £23.49 for 360 egg boxes posted to me. The boxes are a grey OK quality.
Mary-Jane

Lorrainelovesplants wrote:
Ascott was the cheapest at £23.49 for 360 egg boxes posted to me. The boxes are a grey OK quality.

Thanks, that's useful to know. Our local Farmers' Co-op will get them in for me too - but I don't know what the price is yet. I'll let you know just for comparisons sakes.

Edit: Just spoke to the co-op and they can do 270 half-dozen sized boxes for £19.94. That works aout at about 7p a box (locally), compared to 6.5p a box from Ascott. I shall go locally as I can pick them up tonight!
judith

Mary-Jane wrote:
Edit: Just spoke to the co-op and they can do 270 half-dozen sized boxes for £19.94. That works aout at about 7p a box (locally), compared to 6.5p a box from Ascott. I shall go locally as I can pick them up tonight!

Come to the next MDS meeting and you can pick them up from Ascott. Very Happy
pookie

judith wrote:
Mary-Jane wrote:

Come to the next MDS meeting and you can pick them up from Ascott. Very Happy

Ahh so it's at mine then! Laughing
woodsprite

I fancy a looksee around Ascott as well! Wink Laughing
Actually I'm sure it must be my turn but I understand that its a long way for you all to come AND I have very little to show off in the way of livestock at the mo. If/when I move however, you will all be expected to visit and ohhh and ahhh in all the right places! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
joanne

I have the Poultry Keepers Almanac and its very easy to use to print egg labels
Mary-Jane

jocorless wrote:
I have the Poultry Keepers Almanac and its very easy to use to print egg labels

Is there a link to it Jo - or do I have to buy it or summat? Confused
joanne

Its here

http://www.poultrykeepersalmanac.com/

It costs 9.99 to download and is great for seeing how things are going and keeping tabs on whether you are in profit or deficit although I've not used it lately because basically I forget about it - I bought it so that I would have it, if and when I finally get around to begin selling my eggs - Of course that means the little madams actually have to lay me enough eggs to sell - which they aren't doing at the moment
Lorrainelovesplants

Good to know that Jocorless has used this. Do you find the printing bit flexible? Can you rearrange it to suit your needs or do you have to stick to the format? Can you use your own photos? Could you use it for other products? how cost effective do you find it?
Lorraine
joanne

Its fairly flexible - you can use your own pictures and change most of the text but can't move it around and it works fine because it uses standard avery labels or plain paper for that matter - but there is nothing in there you get and a whole heap more by using something like MS Publisher or its equivalent

I don't know about cost effectiveness - I don't have enough eggs to make that call
joanne

You couldn't use it for other products really - its just for selling boxes of 6 eggs
alison

I set up my own in word, and print them when I need to. They are really easy to do.
OtleyLad

jocorless wrote:
You couldn't use it for other products really - its just for selling boxes of 6 eggs

Hello, someone from downsizer was enquiring about the PKA printing labels and in fact you can print them for anything you want (must admit I had not thought of that myself).

The only thing fixed is that your design is printed on an A4 sheet with 8 labels. So it would be ok for Honey, Pickle, Preserve jars, etc.

You can import images for the background - so if you had Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro software you could desiign something quite flash....

PS an example price Staples do a 100 sheet pack (that makes 800 labels) for £11.99 online (+vat and delivery). I am sure you could get them cheaper if you shop around too.
chez

Been thinking about this - it would be easy enough to make a template for word or publisher or OO to print out on 8-per-page labels that could be downloaded from the site. I like faffing with that kind of thing, would that help anyone?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home