Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
pointerbetty

Problem with my bantam cockerell's spur....

Has anyone any advice for me here please? My Pekin Bantam has huge spurs but one has grown instead of at 45 deg.angle, vertically upwards and has a bit of a curve in it inwards too. Now I periodically trim his claw nails with little trouble and he is very tame and quite happy about that but the spurs are so thick and I don't feel very confident about this. Can you trim spurs and if so how far can you go? It's easy to see the construction of the claw nails but not so easy with the spurs. Would appreciate any advice.
crofter

I use a hacksaw. Leave a short bit, 1cm or so.
pointerbetty

Thank you - yes that would be a better tool to use, I can see that. Shall try it.
Bodger

I've used a hacksaw but a Dremmel is even easier.
pointerbetty

Did the noise not worry the cockerell? I have a Wahl pet nail grinder which is quite efficient which would equate I guess to a dremmel. (OK well actually I bought it for husband's toenails but he is a Pointer so qualifies in a way). Perhaps I might try a combination of sawing off and then grinding smooth.
Is there no worry about nerve/blood vessels going down into the spur or aren't there any in a spur - I wasn't sure.
Bodger

I don't know about that, but they want to be cut off rather than ground off. If the cockerel has light coloured spurs, then you should be able to see the quick. You need to avoid cutting that. I'm afraid that if the spurs are dark coloured, then its a bit of a guessing game. Be conservative in how much you shorten them.
pointerbetty

Thanks everyone - yes, I'll do a little at a time and go carefully. He's too precious a bundle to risk.
Thank you again.
Shan

Would sheep foot trimmers work?
pointerbetty

Ooh... haven't got any of those but if I don't get on with the hacksaw and dremmel solution I'll ask a friendly sheep owner. We have several round this way. Thank you!
Bodger

Rub a little soap on your hacksaw before you start, you'll find the sawing easier.
pointerbetty

Hadn't thought of that... good advice thank you - will do so!
Bungo

Would sheep foot trimmers work?

That 's what we use.
Lorrainelovesplants

We use an angle grinder one person holding firmly (me) and John on the grinder. They dont mind any more than handling for any other reason. We finish off with a rasp.
pointerbetty

I haven't got one of those so am just about to go out and try the hacksaw then grind off solution. I'll let you all know how I get on.
If the hacksaw/grind doesn't work out well I'll go looking for an angle grinder to borrow - thanks for the suggestion.
Bodger

You wont need both.
pointerbetty

Well I managed it but it was quite hard work.... he was as good as gold I have to say and I think I was more in danger of sawing off one of my fingers than too much of his spur!! I used the hacksaw and just tidied off the rough bits afterwards with the Wahl pet nail emery attachment.

I have still left quite a bit of the spur but taken enough off so hopefully the incurving bit won't damage him. Not sure how fast spurs regrow but if I need to do it again I think I might try the sheep trimmer solution.

So thank you everyone for your help. Much appreciated.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home