Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Bodger

Problem with the site ?

I'm logging on and can see the sections and the date and time of all the posts but nothing else. Shocked

I'm blind
cir3ngirl

Thank goodness I thought it was just me.
gil

There's another thread called 'Help!' - same issue

cir3ngirl wrote:
Thank goodness I thought it was just me.
mousjoos

& now this new format...
vegplot

Looks like a template issue to me as the forum as reverted to what looks like an out-of-the-box theme, probably nowt to worry about.
Liz in Ireland

Oooooooo I've gone all blue Confused
Ren

I liked the old comfy look Embarassed

This kinda reminds me of the one look suits all work ones we have!
snowball

There is no need for concern. The old feel and look that we know and love will return soon. Jema is trying to fixa bug that is causing problems for some people. The current look, is because he is using templates while he works out what the problem is.
TheGrange

Jema ... is a he .... i was thnking Jema was a girl Shocked Surprised Embarassed
Mrs R

TheGrange wrote:
Jema ... is a he .... i was thnking Jema was a girl Shocked Surprised Embarassed

so did i til not so long ago Embarassed
Bulgarianlily

Whiter than white

Arrrgh everything has gone white, is it bad weather? I can't see anything.... well no posts again
jema

Please people, at this point clear your browsers cache and tell me what happens then?
mihto

Things look great!! How do I clear the cache?
TheGrange

oh we are all green and its lovely Laughing
Mrs R

ah we're back Cool
marigold

Didn't need to clear my browser's cache - everything came back to normal as I was previewing a sympathy message (FF on Mac) - well done you!! Time for a large glass of something strong Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .
jema

Except in IE where posts are now invisible Rolling Eyes

but that is sort of good Wink
Nell Merionwen

jema wrote:
Except in IE where posts are now invisible Rolling Eyes

but that is sort of good Wink

i had the blue but now i have gone back to not seeing any of the script Crying or Very sad
Penny Outskirts

Looking good in FF here
nora

Back to normal using Firefox.
cir3ngirl

Gone back to nothing in message boxes
Gervase

Super in Safari.
Nell Merionwen

will it be like this forever Crying or Very sad
Jonnyboy

nothing in ie even with cache cleaned. can only see posts when hitting post reply and scrolling down through the small window below the text box.
Bodrighy

I*'m not back yet either. I have click quote to read a post

Pete
snowball

No Helen, it wont be like this forever. Jema has spent the last god knows how many hours trying to fix the problem. When it is fix, everything will be back as it was.
jema

Okay,

This may not be perfect. But it is better.
jenn

can see posts now but couldnt for about 10 mins, eek thought it was summat |I said

jenn
cir3ngirl

Thank you Jema
Effie

Yup, back in firefox. Thank you jema
Bodrighy

Looks different but I can see!!! I can see!!!

Thanks

Pete
chez

What's the moderator colour coding, then? Just so we know, like ... Wink
Nell Merionwen

Snowball wrote:
No Helen, it wont be like this forever. Jema has spent the last god knows how many hours trying to fix the problem. When it is fix, everything will be back as it was.

hooorayyyyyyy for jema. that man deserves a big drink and a shiny medal. he is truely amazing. it baffles me how he can do this stuff. i struggle to add attatchments to e-mails.
give him a big cwtch from me please snowball. he is the best Very Happy wav wav
jamanda

Is it mended? Thank you Jema xxx
Nell Merionwen

ooh i just saw this and thought of you jema

notworthy
Bodrighy

Helen M wrote:

Gor I haven't heard that word since I was in school in Barry longer ago than I care to remember Laughing

pete
stumbling goat

do not know what went wrong.

do not know who fixed it.

but grateful all is back to normal.

phew!!!

tr
Mr O

All posts are centralised for me, as in pagination, left or right , or centralised.
towerhill

Firefox 3.0.1 on ubuntu 9.04

All fine with left justification here.
sean

Chez wrote:
What's the moderator colour coding, then? Just so we know, like ... Wink

Mods appear to be a rather fetching maroon. Admins are an unattractive pale orange.
towerhill

To much fake tan!
jema

Things are still a work in progress.
Nell Merionwen

Bodrighy wrote:
Helen M wrote:

Gor I haven't heard that word since I was in school in Barry longer ago than I care to remember Laughing

pete

barry boys? or richard gwinn?
Nicky cigreen

ugh... everything centre justified... hard.. to ..look... at...
mihto

colour it green wrote:

Try using firefox Laughing
Nicky cigreen

mihto wrote:
colour it green wrote:

change browser? I think I shall just not look... and go to bed instead Smile
towerhill

colour it green wrote:
mihto wrote:
colour it green wrote:

Nos Da!
mihto

colour it green wrote:
mihto wrote:
colour it green wrote:

I changed to Firefox a few weeks ago.....and never looked back. Easy, pleasant and quick.

Sometimes a new thing need not be a bad thing Wink
jema

Alignment back on track.
Nick

Job done?
jema

Never as easy as that.
resistance is fertile

everything is still centred here!
jema

clear cache.
resistance is fertile

jema wrote:
clear cache.

Oh right, What does that mean?
Nell Merionwen

resistance is fertile wrote:
jema wrote:
clear cache.

under tools you should have "internet options" use this to delete browsing history/cookies and so on (omg i gave someone computer advice Embarassed Shocked )
Gervase

M-J is using IE 8, and there doesn't seem to be an option to clear the cache any more. The help menu just suggests resetting the application to its original default, which will delete all cookies etc. Anyone got a suggestion (other than to use any browser other than IE, of course, but it's not my computer).
tahir

Gervase wrote:
M-J is using IE 8, and there doesn't seem to be an option to clear the cache any more. The help menue just suggests resetting the application to its original default, which will delete all cookies etc. Anyone got a suggestion (other than to use any browser other than IE, of course, but it's not my computer).

IE8:

Tools>Internet Options>General>Browsing history>Delete

Tick the things you'd like to delete
resistance is fertile

Helen M wrote:
resistance is fertile wrote:
jema wrote:
clear cache.

under tools you should have "internet options" use this to delete browsing history/cookies and so on (omg i gave someone computer advice Embarassed Shocked )

Thanks Helen, its so great to have IT experts on here to help out! Very Happy
jema

One small benefit of all the problems is that I have now made the main forum pages 100% valid XHTML 1.0, which is a useful step forward in helping preventing problems in the future.
mihto

Can you give us an idea what happened?
jema

Not totally, there was a major code update that effected forum templates which was partially intended to try and deal with glitches people have been seeing, this combined badly with a typo Embarassed that effected Internet explorer leading to the situation where lots of things were going wrong at once.
I reset the template to a core template, but even that needed work as core templates are not compatible with downsizer anyway Rolling Eyes
Then I started work on trying to get the actual templates working, and it became apparent it would be best to get these error free to a more up to date standard, finally the core typo popped out the works and things got back live but still with a few problems in the css as IE has all sorts of funnies that crop up when you change html DOCTYPE.
I was complacent going into this as usually on a Saturday there are just enough people around to report glitches and the glitches take me a couple of minutes to resolve and so no harm is done.
mihto

Thanks most humbly. Not understanding too much at least things seem to have been sorted out.

I can only say that you are our Downsizer hero. The site normally works extremely well; the pleasant - is interface the right word? - is a joy to behold and very easy on the eye. The technical bits are all there and the links work. You did a hell of a lot of work yesterday and we really felt for you. Sometimes we take our site for granted, most of us do not understand how much work goes on behind the scene. Yesterday we had a glimpse and it was awsome.

THANK YOU; JEMA!!!
Silas

Seconded.
ian1

Thirded . thank you
gil

Thank you so much, jema. Back to normal now Very Happy
Well...... more or less

'View latest posts' still centred at bottom of screen
Posters' names now left justified in list of latest posts [which is new, but OK]
jema

"View Latest" was always meant to be in the center at the bottom. If it was not on some browsers then that was the bug!
mihto

jema wrote:
"View Latest" was always meant to be in the center at the bottom. If it was not on some browsers then that was the bug!

"View Latest" was always on the left on my Explorer. Now it is centered (like everything else on Explorer). Explorer looks decidedly untidy.

Firefox is OK.

Was there a bug?
jema

Clear cache and centering will sort itself, aside from "Latest Posts" that should be centered.

http://forum.myfreeforum.org/ftopic5090.php

has cache instructions.
Nicky cigreen

ah yes.. deleting the temporary internet files seems to do the trick.... yay!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home