Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Cathryn

Problems on here this morning?

I am having problems with the site today. I was on here very early and it was slow. Now getting phbb: critical error. Unable to access database (or something like that). And the joomla one, contact you Jema. Apparently it's not me. Smile (It's not other sites are fine.)
jema

We were getting a bit of a DOS attack, it has now been blocked.
snowball

DOS means denial of service, see, I do listen to his ramblings. Smile
Rob R

Snowball wrote:
DOS means denial of service

Is that a computing or marital term?
chez

Could be either Laughing
Cathryn

Smile He sounded very masterful then didn't he. Wink
chez

I thought so. It made me go all wimbly Laughing
snowball

Surprised Shocked Surprised
jema

Surprised

I think I am also going to write my own code to automatically deal with a lot of this sort of thing.

I use various things that other people have written, but after more than three years of running servers I now actually think I know more than most people and should start dealing with things my way Cool
chez

Gosh Snowball! He's VERY assertive this morning Laughing

There is something *very* satisfying about learning about something by borrowing someone else's code and then doing it better, I agree.
wellington womble

jema wrote:
Surprised

I think I am also going to write my own code to automatically deal with a lot of this sort of thing.

Is that the coding equivalent of 'Yes, Dear. I'm sorry' And buying perfume? Wink
mihto

jema wrote:
We were getting a bit of a DOS attack, it has now been blocked.

Why would anyone be interested in a DOS attack against a website like Downsizer? What is in it for them? Or is it an attack against a server with many more clients?
jema

Downsizer is on a pretty big server.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home