Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
timneva

Prolapsed Chicken

Hi guys,

anyone know why a chicken's insides end up on the outside? I'm assuming the poor girl may have been egg bound but have never seen a bird in such a poor state. She had a major prolapse with her insides hanging out everywhere. I've put her out of her misery but was wondering what could have caused so many of her intestines to hang out to such an extent. She was running around fine yesterday, so it obviously happened reasonably quickly.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Tim
Bodger

Not really, its just one of those things.
It can happen with any breed but after thinking about it, here are two reasons that I've thought of it that might make it more prevalent in some birds.

It may occur in birds that are in too good a condition. In other words , they are fat.
There are some hybrid laying ducks ( No names mentioned but they are a make of duck rather than a breed) that lay such a big egg and so many eggs for their body size that they are said to be very prone to prolapses. This may also be true of some of the hybrid laying hens that are simply produced as laying machines.

If neither of these ideas fit your situation, then just put it down to bad luck and hopefully it will be many years before you meet up with the situation again. Very Happy

Bodge
timneva

Thanks Bodge. Anythings possible I guess. I assume they were reasonably healthy as we've been getting 8 eggs from 4 chickens until recently when they dropped back to (what I would assume is normal) 4 eggs a day. She was a big chicken though so who knows.
judith

timneva wrote:
we've been getting 8 eggs from 4 chickens until recently when they dropped back to (what I would assume is normal) 4 eggs a day. She was a big chicken though so who knows.

Blimey. I've never come across hens laying 2 a day. Did they lay them both at the same time?
timneva

Yeh, that's what most people say. One of our friends is a vet and he says he's never heard of it before. They seemed to lay morning and afternoon, but it's stopped now though. A bit weird really
judith

It might explain the prolapse - the poor girl's insides were really working overtime.
Bodger

As far as I know , even the laying machines that I mentioned, only lay one egg per day. Are you sure that you were getting 8 eggs per day from 4 birds ? Shocked
Did you miss egg collection on the odd day ?
timneva

We thought the same for a bit, but we actually made a point of collecting each morning and there were (mostly) another 4 in the afternoon. This went on for about 2 months or so after a long period of no egg production whatsoever and for the last few weeks they've been back to normal.
Tavascarow

Occasionaly in old birds they will drop an extra egg, the second one very often soft shelled.
I had some ex batteries that did it occasionaly but if they are doing it regularly that is most unusual & probably accounts for the prolapse.
You did the right thing by putting her out of her missery.
timneva

Yeh, she was in a real mess. I just hope the other don't go the same way.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Array Home Home Home Home