Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Hairyloon

Propably a better sort of industrial waste...

But blue honey is a bit disturbing...

http://sciencealert.com.au/news/20142405-25561.html
OtleyLad

Re: Propably a better sort of industrial waste...

But blue honey is a bit disturbing...

http://sciencealert.com.au/news/20142405-25561.html

Not at all attractive - wonder if it has a similar side effect to eating beetroot? Shocked Shocked
Mistress Rose

This isn't new. It has been reported in several places over the years. Bees will pick up any sweet substance, so the waste from any sweet factory is just a type of forage for them.

If you want bees on unlikely things, they also go for urine of any sort. I consulted a 16th century bee keeping book some years ago and they described urine as a 'physic' for the bees. They still go for it in the 21st century. Permission to go 'uuk'. Very Happy
robkb

If you want bees on unlikely things, they also go for urine of any sort. I consulted a 16th century bee keeping book some years ago and they described urine as a 'physic' for the bees. They still go for it in the 21st century. Permission to go 'uuk'. Very Happy

Permission granted. But at least I know how to attract bees to my allotment if the flowers fail Wink
dpack

This isn't new. It has been reported in several places over the years. Bees will pick up any sweet substance, so the waste from any sweet factory is just a type of forage for them.

potassium salts in solution?
Mistress Rose

Probably quite a lot of salts. They used to get phosphorus from urine, and nettles often mark old settlement sites because of the phosphates in the ground.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home