Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
boisdevie1

Protecting intellectual property

I am developing a business idea which involves selling an audio file via a website. Given that the web is worldwide, is there any way to protect my product against copying and pirating? I know I can get clients to tick a 'Promise not to copy it' box but don't think that would be that effective. And given the fact that the file is in MP3 format |I can't see any way of getting it to auto-erase after a set period of time.
Frazzled_Barbie

DRM (Digital Rights Management) is available but really not effective. And in my opinion not worth the cost and hassle of installing it and maintaining it.

Depending on what e commece package you go for there are controls inbuilt to stop anyone other than the buyer from downloading and it is also possible to limit how many times it can be downloaded (useful if you are having a site/store with a monthly membership).

However this doesnt stop your customer sharing it with .....whoever.
oldish chris

Methinks that bigger brains than yours, with far more resources than you, have failed to come up with a solution. Their best effort so far is to try to pass a law that will enable the US authorities to imprison for decades anyone who dares try to diddle a billionaire out of a few cents. The law is called SOPA. Look up wikipedia for more info.

Some people think that intellectual property is theft and will develop an open source application to circumvent any form of DRM.
Hairyloon

Some people think that intellectual property is theft and will develop an open source application to circumvent any form of DRM.

OTOH some people are happy to pay a reasonable price for good music.
oldish chris

OTOH some people are happy to pay a reasonable price for good music. They ain't the problem.

Mind you, if boisdevie were to crack the anti-piracy problem, he'd make far more than by flogging tunes.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home