Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption
 


       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
cab

Pumpkins!

Loads of 'em, on the market and even the supermarkets, the ones on the market here are at least locally grown. A great opportunity to pick out pumkin and squash varieties you haven't tried yet, or just to make the most of the ones normally sold for carving (and while they're not the tastiest varieties they're still capital eating).
cinders

I buy mine from a local stand outside someones house I made an excellent pumpkin soup, plus pumpkin pie last year and also roasted the seeds. Will wait towards the end of the month before i buy
sean

Put a bit of smoked paprika in when you roast the seeds.
gnasher

i'll be getting mine after halloween when they are all half price. Wink
alisjs

good idea Very Happy
my pumkin crop failed due to last year's promiscuous plants!
Nick

Never used them. Embarassed

Those small ones, that look like a single portion, eg about the size of a softball, anyone got a recipe to use them, ideally whole?

Can I just top them, hollow, fill with something, re-lid, and roast, or something?
cab

alisjs wrote:
good idea Very Happy
my pumkin crop failed due to last year's promiscuous plants!


Pumpkins/squashes/courgettes are always complete tarts. If you're seed saving you have to be really quite cunning!
sean

Nick wrote:
Never used them. Embarassed

Those small ones, that look like a single portion, eg about the size of a softball, anyone got a recipe to use them, ideally whole?

Can I just top them, hollow, fill with something, re-lid, and roast, or something?


Yep. There's an HFW recipe using cream and gruyere which is good if stunningly rich.
Nick

Hm. I have double cream and dolcelatte. Bet it would be even richer...
Cathryn

You want the cinammon, nutmeg, double cream, condensed milk, sugar and butter option I think...

I have succumbed - how do I store it until next week as I have just thrown down a mine will be spookier challenge... Smile
Slim

cab wrote:
alisjs wrote:
good idea Very Happy
my pumkin crop failed due to last year's promiscuous plants!


Pumpkins/squashes/courgettes are always complete tarts. If you're seed saving you have to be really quite cunning!


Oh don't go and scare people, it's really quite easy. All you have to do is get used to what the flowers look like. Tape a female flower shut the night before it would normally open (otherwise it'll open up before you can get to it, I can almost promise you). Then you find a male flower from the same plant, or another that you want to pollinate it with, rip off the petals so you can really stick the anthers (bits that hold the pollen) into the female flower and get as much pollen on there as you can. Then tape the flower back up so nothing can get in there with a foreign pollen. All you have to do at that point is mark that fruit so you know which one you controlled the pollination of. (I would either scratch a design into the fruit itself - looks real funky when it grows large - or put a very loose ring of tape around the stem)
Nick

Sex in your house must be a real blast. Wink
cab

Slim wrote:

Oh don't go and scare people, it's really quite easy. All you have to do is get used to what the flowers look like. Tape a female flower shut the night before it would normally open (otherwise it'll open up before you can get to it, I can almost promise you). Then you find a male flower from the same plant, or another that you want to pollinate it with, rip off the petals so you can really stick the anthers (bits that hold the pollen) into the female flower and get as much pollen on there as you can. Then tape the flower back up so nothing can get in there with a foreign pollen. All you have to do at that point is mark that fruit so you know which one you controlled the pollination of. (I would either scratch a design into the fruit itself - looks real funky when it grows large - or put a very loose ring of tape around the stem)


See, thats like I said, really quite cunning Smile
Slim

Nick wrote:
Sex in your house must be a real blast. Wink



That's about the only sex that goes on... Rolling Eyes Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home