Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Nick

Puppies.

Apparently, I want a new puppy. :/

Female, some type of cross breed.

Anyone know of anything that isn't carrying a stupid name, and wanting nine gazillion quid from a puppy farm?

Local rescues have nothing.
sean

Lurcher? Evesham, so not a million miles from you.
Nick

Not out of the bounds, but ideally small, female, young enough to train very well, must go with cats and other dogs.
(nothing there matches, I'm afraid)
sean

I wondered about the cats bit.
Nick

I wondered about the cats bit.

Aye, they're all PC gone mad here. No fighting is required, I am advised. Rolling Eyes
dpack

i can enquire via the longdog rescuers but the cat friendly bit does reduce the options

as you get around a bit a national org such as dogs trust might be worth a call
Nick

Yeah. Cats thing is non negotiable; they currently outnumber the dogs.

We've spoken to various charities including battersea, but they have nothing suitable. Took us over a year to get outlast one from them. If you want an abandoned and aggressive Staffie cross you can have one today. More sensible option, no chance.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I take it you've checked HWAR? Smile
sean

HWAR? Smile

HWAT IS IT GOOD FOR?

HABSOLUTELY NOTHING...
dpack

Laughing Nick

I take it you've checked HWAR? Smile

No. Who?

ETA. Ah. Thanks. (Nothing on show currrntly but will talk to)
sgt.colon

HWAR? Smile

HWAT IS IT GOOD FOR?

HABSOLUTELY NOTHING...

Laughing Laughing

Say it again!
Shan

Could be a few options here: http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk/adoptables.html Nick

Could be a few options here: http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk/adoptables.html

thanks. almost, but the one I'd have is male. All added to the list.
dpack

lulu might be a suitable candidate wellington womble

I was looking recently at failed assistance dogs. They have dogs of various ages who turn out not to be suitable for assisting and need homes. I know it's not exactly a puppy, but the cats and the training would be taken care of (they do need puppy fosters, but you have to give them back at 14 months). Might be worth asking. Nick

The search is over. Rolling Eyes

Photos to follow at some point, I am sure.

(Thanks, everyone.)
dpack

good news for you and pup Very Happy Nick

One of us, at least, is happy and facing a better life.

I, otoh, have a widdling, whining, expensive drain coming my way.
dpack

Laughing Lorrainelovesplants

Pics please! Shan

One of us, at least, is happy and facing a better life.

I, otoh, have a widdling, whining, expensive drain coming my way.
You left 'pooping' out of your description. Laughing
Nick

Pics please!
We pick her up in about 3-4 weeks.
dpack

Cool chez

To keep you going in thr meantime, my Mama has just got two new collie puppies to train up for her sheep.

dpack

well we know what big paws mean, big paw prints Laughing

they look weather proof and very healthy.
chez

They are called Finch and Wren and are brother and sister. The remaining old dog is not wildly impressed. Shan

To keep you going in thr meantime, my Mama has just got two new collie puppies to train up for her sheep.

They are just the cutest cutest not so little 'poopies'.
Nick

Who wants pictures mailed so they can post? sean

Back from Barnstaple Real Food Market now. Here you go:

sean

Weird. Doesn't like the third pic & I can't see why I've tried resizing and renaming so that's your lot. dpack

barnstable food market has some exotic ingredients

roast,curry ,satay or stir fry ? Twisted Evil

or is that nick's delightful new family member? Laughing
chez

Awww. Lovely. The boys went to the local dog show this afternoon ... I am angling for a wolfhound to train as an assistance dog, but they came back with nothing. Sadly disappointed Sad sean

Are you having trouble with wolves? Seems like the ideal dog for a smallish bungalow. Nick

This is Octavia. Tavy, for short. She is a not very old golden retriever cross poodle.

A mongrel.
sean

Call her a Groodle and you can probably flog her on for nine hundred quid. jamanda

She's very cute whatever she is. dpack

Awww. Lovely. The boys went to the local dog show this afternoon ... I am angling for a wolfhound to train as an assistance dog, but they came back with nothing. Sadly disappointed Sad

they are huge, very huge, eat a lot and need a 3 seater sofa to themselves
they fart a lot and their fur is quite smelly
they are often rather dim and apart from chasing big things are hard to train
they need a lot of outdoor running in a safe place to keep them fit and tired
they dont last long, big dogs often die youngish, a 10 yr old would be unusual

i quite like the ones i have known but....

deerhound x greyhound lurchers have less of the above disadvantages , most of the advantages of big sight hounds and are usually quite smart and charming Wink
dpack

This is Octavia. Tavy, for short. She is a not very old golden retriever cross poodle.

A mongrel.

im glad tavy is your new family member rather than sean's dinner Laughing
joanne

Call her a Groodle and you can probably flog her on for nine hundred quid.

Their 'proper' name is a 'golden doodle' but it's actually a first gen mongrel!

She's very pretty though!!!
Nick

Call her a Groodle and you can probably flog her on for nine hundred quid.

Their 'proper' name is a 'golden doodle' but it's actually a first gen mongrel!

She's very pretty though!!!

Groodle is apparently the Australian name. You're right on both other counts.
wellington womble

Awww. Lovely. The boys went to the local dog show this afternoon ... I am angling for a wolfhound to train as an assistance dog, but they came back with nothing. Sadly disappointed Sad

Jenna met a couple of Scottish deerhounds the other day. They were delighted to lick her face, even though they had to bend down. She thought they were marvellous. She could have ridden them!

Octavia is lovely. You named her after my car, I trust.
Shan

Very cute little beastie. I have been told I am not allowed a dog. Rolling Eyes Apparently one dysfunctional turkey stag is enough. Nick

Very cute little beastie. I have been told I am not allowed a dog. Rolling Eyes Apparently one dysfunctional turkey stag is enough.

My, very local, experience suggests that when a husband tells a wife she's not allowed a puppy, one turns up anyway.
Shan

It certainly happened with a flock of sheep.... Laughing Nick

It certainly happened with a flock of sheep.... Laughing

Your husband 'travels' a lot for 'work', too, doesn't he?
Shan

He does indeed. Very Happy

Although, I actually have to agree with him about the doggy... much as it irks me to do so...
Nick

Just having a sleep with my sheep, dad.

dpack

that is disgracefully cute and a good way to make a pup still feel part of a puppy pack. Shan

Just having a sleep with my sheep, dad.

One day when I grow up, I'll eat it.
Nick

Ha. One day?

chez

*dissolves in cuteness overload*

Wolfhound-desire aside, I can't really be arsed with dogs. They're too needy. I can't even cope with clingy people amd they don't even shed on the furniture.
Shan

Laughing I have the same problem... Shan

Ha. One day?

You know, he's probably going to round it all off with peeing on the rug?
Nick

Already today I have cleared up three shits, countless pees, and she's vomited up her breakfast three times. On the plus side, she eats that back up quite quickly. Disgusting creature. Shan

Reminds me of the pigs. At least I get to eat the pigs. Laughing sean

*dissolves in cuteness overload*

Wolfhound-desire aside, I can't really be arsed with dogs. They're too needy. I can't even cope with clingy people amd they don't even shed on the furniture.

That's why the only satisfactory dogs are sight-hounds.
wellington womble

We are in the market for both just now. Well, the sheep fur sure. The dog I'm less sure about, because of the neediness, the mud, the shedding and the holidays.

I was hoping for lamb, but I'm not sure the loss would be bearable for the junior members of the team.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

We are in the market for both just now. Well, the sheep fur sure. The dog I'm less sure about, because of the neediness, the mud, the shedding and the holidays.

I was hoping for lamb, but I'm not sure the loss would be bearable for the junior members of the team.

Have you seen off that big fox? :/
wellington womble

I'm trying to catch #10. Can you get fox-eating dogs? chez

I'm trying to catch #10. Can you get fox-eating dogs?

Wolf hounds. They'll do the job.
Nick

The Tories will be reelected in a month and then we can all hunt foxes again. Everything's going to be grand. wellington womble

they still hunt up here anyway, supposedly they use dogs to flush and an eagle owl to make the kill, but I don't know how often it happens that way. dpack

they still hunt up here anyway, supposedly they use dogs to flush and an eagle owl to make the kill, but I don't know how often it happens that way.

would that be my old "friends" the quorn?

re fox killers , brown bear's pointer and my yellow hell hound were both proven capable and i recon a good working saluki or saluki x would have no problem protecting a chook flock Wink
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Llamas see off foxes, allegedly... wellington womble

they still hunt up here anyway, supposedly they use dogs to flush and an eagle owl to make the kill, but I don't know how often it happens that way.

would that be my old "friends" the quorn?

re fox killers , brown bear's pointer and my yellow hell hound were both proven capable and i recon a good working saluki or saluki x would have no problem protecting a chook flock Wink

The Warwickshire. I was only joking about the dog! I think any dog will see off a fox, but they'd need to be out all the time.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home