Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Bugs

Quality equipment

I've a feeling there's a thread in the mists of time already started by Jema about this, but can I find it??? Rolling Eyes

Generally I'd like to buy good equipment that will last, so I thought I'd start a thread where anyone can recommend what they use or know to be good. We've done saucepans separately but I thought little bits would be good - whether a brand name or a generic description.

My ulterior motive is that we currently require a tin opener that will open tins, and a pepper grinder that will put up with being dropped and will last and doesn't require a second mortgage.

Apparently the Culinaire Magican is good, and Lakeland claims a lifetime guarantee Shocked which is about all you can ask for from a tin opener. I'd prefer a common or garden metal one but the last two we bought broke. Evil or Very Mad

Have recently bought a Screwpull corkscrew as it has a 5 year guarantee and allows me to get in to a bottle without waiting for OH to come home (very important for a happy home, that!).

So as well as finding me a nice grinder and can opener, have you anything else lurking that you think is worth investing in for a Downsizer's hardworking kitchen?
tahir

For a pepper mill I'd go for one with a ceramic mechanism. Mine are Zassenhaus.
jema

I have been farily happy with a ceramic from Le Crueset.
sean

This lot are quite good IMHO:
www.cookware.co.uk
We've got a cleaver and S&P mills from them, which I'm happy with.
Their stuff isn't particularly cheap, but I think it's reasonable and they quite often have decent special offers on.
tahir

This lot are excellent for any German cutting tools (knives, scissors, nail clippers etc), Rosle utensils, Zassenhaus utensils and a couple of ranges of cutlery too.

They're cheaper and quicker than any of the UK online merchants I've used.

http://www.hainlin.de/
Sarah D

I tend to buy stuff as and when I need it, and go after no specific name. We have a pepper mill that is about 15 years old, beechwood, survives dropping, throwing (don;t ask), heat, etc. No idea of the make, though.
As for the rest of the equipment I use, I tend to go for the catering standard quality if I can get it - much better made and lasts better than that aimed at the ordinary domestic market. Can be picked up quite cheaply second hand too. Best things ar the things like slotted spoons and ladle, etc, and the saucepans, sieves, strainers, etc.
My own favourite is "nice" wooden spoons - I have "far too many" of them, apparently, but I love them, especially when they become old with a bit of character. It is also one of the things on the make myself list, being not too difficult and very forgiving for a slip with the gouger........... Laughing
tahir

Sarah D wrote:
My own favourite is "nice" wooden spoons - I have "far too many" of them, apparently, but I love them, especially when they become old with a bit of character. It is also one of the things on the make myself list

Ditto, we always used to buy a wooden spoon wherever we went on holiday, got one left now, it's olive wood from Kenya.
Sarah D

I'll tell him iI'm not alone, then, when he starts................ Laughing Laughing
jema

Qaulity can be timeless, my best saucepan must be 40 years old or more Smile
Jonnyboy

We have tons of wooden spoons, they seem to 'season' over time so I have particular ones which always get used for currys and chillis
Sarah D

Yellowed ones for curries, very long handled ones for getting into the brewing bucket, one with a corner for sauces, tiny wee ones for small pots of sauce, flat ones for stirring onions, big ones for big pots, the one with the bent handle for soap making................
Jonnyboy

The odd thing is that I don't use a wooden spoon for tasting, always a metal one so I get the full flavour of the food.

Eating food off a wooden spoon just doesn't taste right for me.
jema

Jonnyboy wrote:
The odd thing is that I don't use a wooden spoon for tasting, always a metal one so I get the full flavour of the food.

Eating food off a wooden spoon just doesn't taste right for me.

ditto
Sarah D

Usually all you can taste is wet wood. Like steaming veg in a bamboo steamer - yuk Confused
And a bit like only having one knife to reliably test the potatoes when cooking............. Laughing I always use the same one.
twoscoops

[quote="tahir it's olive wood from Kenya.[/quote]

Do they press olives for oil in Kenya?

I find my Microplane grater very good. And my Bosch processor.
tahir

That did occur to me, I don't know to be honest, but they had a lot of stuff in olive wood around.

Microplane is the only way to go if you need to grate ginger, excellent, just be careful of grating your knuckles off (take ages to heal)
jema

tahir wrote:
That did occur to me, I don't know to be honest, but they had a lot of stuff in olive wood around.

Microplane is the only way to go if you need to grate ginger, excellent, just be careful of grating your knuckles off (take ages to heal)

I love my microplane Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home