Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Wingy

Question about type of wood

I have a stack of fallen limbs from Elder trees from my property that I'd like to keep for the fireplace. Is Elder wood good for burning or does it spit a lot? These came down earlier in the year, most are still green. How long do they need to be seasoned for and what else could I use them for?
BahamaMama

Re: Question about type of wood

Wingy wrote:
I have a stack of fallen limbs from Elder trees from my property that I'd like to keep for the fireplace. Is Elder wood good for burning or does it spit a lot? These came down earlier in the year, most are still green. How long do they need to be seasoned for and what else could I use them for?

There is a really useful thread on the 'Its not easy being green' forum about different woods and their fuel properties. I will go and have a rummage, back in a mo
BahamaMama

Oh dear....
Elder: A mediocre fuel that burns quickly without much heat output and tends to have thick acrid smoke. The Hag Goddess is known to reside in the Elder tree and burning it invites death. Probably best avoided.

Got anything else Very Happy

If there is a link fairy around could they tidy this up please:-

here's the link
gil

Here's another link to another webpage about the burning properties of different woods
cab

Pretty stinky when burned. I can't immediately think of a good use for elder wood, other than making whistles, and thats best done when the woods green (or so I'm told).
Truffle

Best use I can think of is to grow Auricularia spp.
cab

Truffle wrote:

Someone had to say that, and odds are it'd be Laughing

Is this covered in Stamets?
Wingy

Quote:
Burning it invites Death...
Surprised Oh... Shocked maybe I should just stack it in a log pile then. Confused

Yes, I've got a good mix of native Scottish trees that we planted when we first moved here 15 yrs ago, so there are lots of others I could use. I just wondered about the Elder as I've never really used that wood for anything before.

That's a great link on all the different woods. Thanks! Very Happy
Truffle

cab wrote:
Truffle wrote:

Someone had to say that, and odds are it'd be Laughing

Is this covered in Stamets?

I don't even have it... bit more of a papers guy when it comes to shroom growing. I've got a good PDF on growing them somewhere if you want a copy?
cab

Truffle wrote:

I don't even have it... bit more of a papers guy when it comes to shroom growing. I've got a good PDF on growing them somewhere if you want a copy?

Wood ear cultivation isn't currently on my to do list Laughing Might work out well on Wingys wood pile thougn.
Truffle

cab wrote:
Truffle wrote:

Wood ear cultivation isn't currently on my to do list Laughing Might work out well on Wingys wood pile thougn.

I've never actually tried it, just read it for fun... I'm starting to feel really geeky now.
Bluedog

I know its not exactly what you asked for but I have always found this useful....

Beechwood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year,
Chestnut's only good they say,
If for logs 'tis laid away.
Make a fire of Elder tree,
Death within your house will be;
But ash new or ash old,
Is fit for a queen with crown of gold.

Birch and fir logs burn too fast
Blaze up bright and do not last,
it is by the Irish said
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
Elm wood burns like churchyard mould,
E'en the very flames are cold
But Ash green or Ash brown
Is fit for a queen with golden crown.

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
Apple wood will scent your room
Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
Oaken logs, if dry and old
keep away the winter's cold
But Ash wet or Ash dry
a king shall warm his slippers by.
dpack

mini beast habitat Wink
robin wood

It is a surprisingly strong but light wood, I have some nice spoons made from it, makes good skewers for kebabs etc. Rots quickly if damp.

When I used to work in forestry most of the old folk I worked with would not have it in the house because of the elder witch.
mochyn

robin wood wrote:
It is a surprisingly strong but light wood, I have some nice spoons made from it, makes good skewers for kebabs etc. Rots quickly if damp.

When I used to work in forestry most of the old folk I worked with would not have it in the house because of the elder witch.

The old chap's just cut down some elder. I wonder if he could make me some spoons? Does it need seasoning?
robin wood

mochyn wrote:

The old chap's just cut down some elder. I wonder if he could make me some spoons? Does it need seasoning?

Nope,

Just make sure to split it in half and remove all the pith before you start planning your spoon. A 2" diameter branch will make a decent eating spoon, smaller ones are good for serving olives, salt etc.
Bluedog

Robin, would Eldar be considered safe for a spoon that is destined to be used?
robin wood

Perfectly safe so long as you are not the type to worry about the elder witch. Very Happy
mochyn

robin wood wrote:
Perfectly safe so long as you are not the type to worry about the elder witch. Very Happy

I'm quite at home with witches from whichever tree!
tahir

mochyn wrote:
robin wood wrote:

I'll be quite honest, I thought Robin was talking about you.
mochyn

tahir wrote:
mochyn wrote:
robin wood wrote:

I'll be quite honest, I thought Robin was talking about you.

There's a word for you.
tahir

mochyn wrote:
There's a word for you.

Grundmuckly
mochyn

tahir wrote:
mochyn wrote:
There's a word for you.

Grundmuckly

Alright, there's more than one word for you. That's a very good one, but (as I'm sure you know) not the one of which I was thinking.
James

robin wood wrote:
It is a surprisingly strong but light wood.

Our washing line pole is elder. Its a good long, straight pole from the centre of a large tree. For an 8ft pole, its remarkably light. Its been going now for years and looks like it has many years life in it yet. It remains outdoors all year and shows no sign of rot.
When it finally goes, I'll definately cut another elder pole to replace it.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home