Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
foggy

Quick 20 ideas

I need to come up with 20 asap for joining the local allotments.

Any quick tips?
judith

Sell vegetable futures?
lettucewoman

Sell something on ebay, sell books on Amazon, offer to tidy a neighbours garden, or do the cleaning , offer a car washing service or walking dogs.... Very Happy
mochyn

And never underestimate the 'chucking all the cushions of the sofa' manoeuvre. Laughing There could be a fortune down there.
marigold

Miss a week's food shopping and eat from your stores?
sally_in_wales

Ebay something, or put some things up for sale on the trading post here?
Katieowl

Re: Quick 20 ideas

Any quick tips?

Offer to be responsible for cutting the communal areas of the allotment, for the whole year, in exchange for getting the plot free. And do it.

Kate (ex-allotment site secretary)
Rob R

Any quick tips?

Enter into an elaborate deal whereby you promise to pledge, say, 40 towards a crowdfunding bid in exchange for the immediate loan of 20? Smile
Nicky Colour it green

car boot sale? faerienono

Babysitting/childcare for friends?
Cleaning out animal cages for someone?
Window cleaning?
Taking stuff to a rubbish tip for someone?
Garden tidying/oddjobs?
Busking????????
Sitting on the pavement with a sad dog and a hat.......????
Nicky Colour it green

'invest' the children's piggy bank Nick

Any quick tips?

Enter into an elaborate deal whereby you promise to pledge, say, 40 towards a crowdfunding bid in exchange for the immediate loan of 20? Smile

Jesus threw people like you out of the temple.
foggy

I seem to live in a village where everyone already does everyone else's gardens/child minding/dog walking etc...

& the thought of taking my manual cylinder mower around the patch Shocked

DS's moneybox is full.

of IOUs

I shall try the sad dog & hat routine.

(OH just found some shares she'd forgotten she had, worth a bit more than what she remembered them being)
vegplot

Can someone lend or give me 20 please? Nicky Colour it green

sell the lamb chop whiskers in a fund raising event?

edit for spelling
Pilsbury

Cancel sky movies!! Wondered why my bill had rocketed this month and it turns out the 6 months free we got at Christmas ran out, 16 a month..... Lorrainelovesplants

Grass cutting, moving furniture for a friend, not going to the pub for a night? alice

Well, I have heard there's good money to be made down the docks, doing favours for sailors..... Nell Merionwen

Well, I have heard there's good money to be made down the docks, doing favours for sailors.....

folding their sails and carrying their kit bags?
marigold

Thinking more about this - if you can't lay your hands on 20 when you need it you should probably mosey over to the MSE forums and have a look round. There are loads of brilliant ideas for saving/making money.

Some forums are friendlier than others - Debt Free Wannabe and Old Style are good. DFW will help even if you are not in debt - doing a statement of affairs and keeping a spending diary are useful for getting to grip with your finances and squeezing a bit more out of your budget.
foggy

20 borrowed from a friend. She gets paid the same day as me too, so no excuses.

We're squeezing all we can out of our budget & check MSE regularly, have spreadsheets etc. It's just all very tight this month. Am working extra shifts next month, so August won't be so bad!

Now to fill up the allotment on the cheap...
foggy

PS

sell the lamb chop whiskers in a fund raising event?

by pure coincidence I shaved off my side burns the morning you posted this!
Chez

Now to fill up the allotment on the cheap...

I have quite a lot of seeds left from the ds seed-swap. I will dig them out if you pm me your address.
Nick

Don't think we have any seeds lying about, but if I do, what's on your wish list?

I'm sure we had a seed swop running, too...

Eta cross posted.
sgt.colon

I too have seeds you can have. Pleasse PM me your address and I'll get them in the post to you. mochyn

I too have seeds you can have. Pleasse PM me your address and I'll get them in the post to you.

Ditto.
gardening-girl

Ditto
Laughing
oldish chris

Now to fill up the allotment on the cheap... Whats this allotment like? Typically he first few weeks are spent trying to make it look vaguely like an allotment. Plan on putting in stuff in the autumn - Jap. onions, spring cabbage etc. No further expenses until August?

(Dissenting opinions welcome, I've got a bare patch on my plot!)
foggy

Hi Chris,

It's a field at the moment - so fences being erected, land being dug etc.

Can't see much getting planted before autumn.

Thanks everyone, pms being sent now!

Foggy.
Nicky Colour it green

I imagine its a bit late for any planting then - but you could start saving your pennies towards things that want to be planted when dormant - say rhubarb.

prolly have some spare seeds going when you are ready - and if you want some gooseberry bushes, you can have them now!

well done on getting the lottie Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home