Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Mrs Fiddlesticks

quick honey bottling question

do you have to do anything to the jars before filling? They're brand new, in the box. Sounds obvious but do they need sterilising/washing out, or warming or anything? Can't see anything in my books about the jars at all.
Rosemary Judy

I'd wash them out for jam and chutney and then dry off in a warm oven for 30 mins or so....

so I suppose I'd do the same for honey .....

don't know really......
Mrs Fiddlesticks

Rosemary Judy wrote:
I'd wash them out for jam and chutney and then dry off in a warm oven for 30 mins or so....

so I suppose I'd do the same for honey .....

don't know really......

Thats what I'd do for jam too, but honey must be in a dry container or it'll ferment, so I can see that extra care is needed but like you not sure how to prepare the jars if they need preparing.
joanne

I washed mine out and dried them off with kitchen towels and then gave them a quick blast in the oven but let them cool to blood heat before bottling the honey
Mrs Fiddlesticks

jocorless wrote:
I washed mine out and dried them off with kitchen towels and then gave them a quick blast in the oven but let them cool to blood heat before bottling the honey

that sounds sensible. Its just odd its not mentioned in the books anywhere.
joanne

I know and I had the same questions as you last week - I just did what I thought was best
alison

That is what I am going to do. Better safe than sorry.
lottie

Do jam jars in oven---but brand new honey jars from a sealed box I just wipe with new teatowel and fill.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home