Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Barefoot Andrew

Quickbooks is great until...

...you need to do something in a complicated order.

I hired a car in March, where the initial fee was paid by me, and the deposit by me via an advance from the client. The deposit was refunded to the client in error (should have come to me), and the relative timings of incomings and outgoings were in a funny order. And because I wasn't expecting the deposit refund to go the wrong place, I hadn't accounted for it in Q1, so I've had to fudge transactions in Q2 - with appropriate memo comments - to avoid breaking Q1's closed VAT period....

It all adds up, shows the correct income and expense, the out-of-order transactions are documented, but it's all taken an age to work out how to do it...

A.
Rob R

I've had a few of those - it's so simple when you finally work out how to do it!
Barefoot Andrew

Indeed. Cussing may have occurred en route though Wink
A.
Nell Merionwen

Indeed. Cussing may have occurred en route though Wink
A.

cussing? that's putting it mildly! Laughing
Barefoot Andrew

Embarassed
A.
Rob R

You can always get your own back on them by helping me claw out £500 of their money Wink All you need to do is set up 46 new e-mail addresses
Nick

And three months for it to register.
Rob R

Perhaps it needs some techy to hack in and direct all the votes to one...
vegplot

I have trouble coming to terms with the words "Quickbooks is great".
Shan

Quickbooks is great until... it gets to 2 years old and becomes so unstable that it crashes and creates a second VAT control accounteven though you have locked down your VAT quarters (apparently) and you have to try and figure out what the flock has happened with lots of memos and journal adjustments..... and it looks like an absolute mess!

Then you move on to Microsoft accounts, which is not quite as intuitive as QB but you think, what the hell, at least it is not QBs. Microsoft then send you a letter 3 months later saying they have decided to stop supporting the software and if you want payroll, company X is now dealing with that functionality provided you pay them £££.... and through this all, you think hmmmmmm.... should have gone with Sage.
vegplot

should have gone with Sage.

is a wise choice. Expensive and not very intuitive (getting better) but trusted and stable.
Shan

Problem is I need the one that will do a bill of materials.... REALLY expensive. Mistress Rose

I have been using Sage for some years, but in spite of doing a basic course still have trouble remembering where everything is to be posted. Probably simple if you are an accountant, but as a mere engineer and forester, it is beyond me.

Sigh. Sad
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home