Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Bugs

Quickly quickly, how do I make a cream cheese topping?

I have some Sainsbury's soft cheese ie Philadelphia in all but name, which I was hoping to turn in to cheesecake a la Mrs Tahir. But I can't see that working in a cream cheese topping (for carrot cake)?

And I have mascarpone which seems more likely.

Kilos of icing sugar - what should I flavour it with? There are lemons but no oranges as far as I know.

I've also got a banana bread that smells nice but is a little pale (I had to take it out before it was coloured) - could I top this with the same or similar mix, or how do you think it would take to icing? Or even a chocolate topping might go well with bananas.

Anyone who gives me an idea this evening I will love forever. Maybe Wink
tahir

What are you on about? What do you want to do with your Sainselphia?
Bugs

I want to make a cream cheese topping for a carrot cake and possibly a banana cake. You know like you get in Pret a Manger, for example. Embarassed

The options are philadelphia thingy, which I don't think is right, or mascarpone. But I can't find the recipes I had for mascarpone.
tahir

I was just leaving work but I'll ring the missus for you.
tahir

She says:

30g softened Butter
80gCream Cheese
Lemon rind
250g Icing Sugar

Beat butter, rind and cheese together, add sugar beat some more.

I think there's way too much sugar there, doesn't sound right to me, but she's out so can't check the recipe book

Night night
Sarah D

Beat the cream cheese with just enough icing sugar to sweeten it - you don't want it too sweet. Add a squirt of ornage/lemon juice if you like, it does help it. That's all you need for topping a carrot cake, although it is traditionally orange - lime works well too.

For banana cake, glace icing (icing sugar and water) is enough - drizzle it over rather than covering. Powdered ginger is quite nice for this one too, or cinnamon. Hope this helps in time Laughing
Treacodactyl

Thanks Mrs & Mrs T, I'll tell the cook and perhaps get some dinner before midnight. Wink
Treacodactyl

...and thanks MrsL.
Sarah D

You could always give her a hand............. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Treacodactyl

Sarah D wrote:

I'm banned from the Kitchen when she's baking. Laughing
Bugs

Treacodactyl wrote:
Sarah D wrote:

I'm banned from the Kitchen when she's baking. Laughing

Quite right too - although admittedly there's not a lot of room for anyone else in the kitchen when I'm baking.

I think I'll go for the glace icing for the banana cake then, much simpler and nice to offer a choice.

Regarding the cream cheese - we are talking about using the philadelphia like thing I have then? I suppose I'll taste it before it goes on at least Shocked

Thanks to all of you - Tahir, Mrs T and Sarah Very Happy (but not TD who is mainly just getting in the way and saying "is that burning Rolling Eyes )
Leonie

Bugs, on a carrot cake I make the topping as said above but I also sprinkle chopped walnuts on top. Banana cake you can do the same, I decorate with halved pecan nuts.
Sarah D

Nuts a luxury, depending on the person/people you are serving, but IMHO these don't need them.

Cream cheese is cream cheese - can be made savoury or sweet according to taste. Even better is home made cream cheese - very easy and you will never buy Philadelphia etc again, I guarantee.

Let me know if you need the recipe, which also makes the superlative cheesecake, by the way.
tahir

Sarah D wrote:
Cream cheese is cream cheese - can be made savoury or sweet according to taste. Even better is home made cream cheese - very easy and you will never buy Philadelphia etc again, I guarantee.

Let me know if you need the recipe, which also makes the superlative cheesecake, by the way.

Don't tease, you know we want it...
Sarah D

You should be in bed by now.................... Laughing

I'll try and find it. If I don't, then blame the peach wine............. Laughing
tahir

Sarah D wrote:
You should be in bed by now.................... Laughing :

I'm round me mum's for dinner, leaving now.
wellington womble

I'm not a fan of banannananas, but people who are tell me chocolate is good with them - you could cheat and add nutella! It's probably too late now!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home