Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Behemoth

Quids in in Bristol

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-16852326
Jamanda

They did this somewhere in South Devon. Not sure if it worked or not.
dpack

did i hear of legal issues about a similar scheme ?
baldybloke

It's part of the Transition Bristol Initiative. Other towns currently running with their own currency are Totnes and Lewes. From what I have read it seems to work fine. It keeps the money circulating within the community and supports local business, craftsmen and food suppliers.
arvo

I think its a fab idea. And if ever a city was going to grab hold of an anti-establishment idea like that then its Bristol.
Nick

I think its a fab idea. And if ever a city was going to grab hold of an anti-establishment idea like that then its Bristol.

Yep, a city built on slavery and tobacco is so anti establishment.
wishus

Yep, a city built on slavery and tobacco is so anti establishment.

They aslo had the Bluestockings like Hannah More and her protegé Ann Yearsley, who spoke out against slavery.
sean

I don't really see the point of it. If you want to keep money in the local economy then spend it with locally owned/run businesses. Why do you need a made up currency to do that? wishus

I think it helps people to allocate their spend locally, as you can't spend the money outside the 100 businesses involved.

They have this sort of thing at science fiction conventions. You swap money for Groats. The groats can be spent at some fannish merch tables or the real ale bar. If you have any left at the end of the con it can be changed back.

It's money that doesn't go to, say, the hotel bar or external businesses. In a way it's a way fans can make sure they spend sensibly and help each other out.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Array Home Array Home Array