Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Welshy

Rabbit hutch made out of pallets?

Hi all

has anybody out there made a rabbit hutch out of pallets as I am trying hard to find somewhere online how to build one or free rabbit hutch plans.

All the ones I saw cost a fortune and I would really like to build one large enough so I can keep three rabbits in them, each with their own floor and box.

Any ideas are welcome, thank you.

Welshy Smile
Dogwalker

Hello
Have a look at a few and make it up, usually works for me. Smile

Where abouts in Wales are you?
Welshy

Hello
Have a look at a few and make it up, usually works for me. Smile

Where abouts in Wales are you?

Well, I looked some up but they are all made from normal wood rather then from pallet wood.

I am in North Wales Smile
Jamanda

No views on rabbit accommodation, but welcome to the site.
Bodger

There's no problem building hutches with reclaimed wood from pallets but if I were you I'd use half inch plywood for the floor. This will make things much easier to clean out.
If I wanted to make a super duper rabbit hutch and I didn't have any plans for one, I'd go along to one of the pet centres, find what I wanted and simply use that as a blue print. You could even take a tape measure with you on the pretense of making sure that your possible purchase is going to fit in the space that you have a available. Cunning eh? Rolling Eyes
Welshy

No views on rabbit accommodation, but welcome to the site.

Thank you Smile
Welshy

There's no problem building hutches with reclaimed wood from pallets but if I were you I'd use half inch plywood for the floor. This will make things much easier to clean out.
If I wanted to make a super duper rabbit hutch and I didn't have any plans for one, I'd go along to one of the pet centres, find what I wanted and simply use that as a blue print. You could even take a tape measure with you on the pretense of making sure that your possible purchase is going to fit in the space that you have a available. Cunning eh? Rolling Eyes

Thank you for the tip, I will go and have a look at the hutches at the local pet shop and as always I carry a tape measurer with me Wink
kirstyfern

My rabbit hutches are
4' x 18" house over 4' x 4' run
5' x 2' house with 5' x 3' run

No problem using reclaimed pallet wood, but the hutch will be heavy!
T.G

Just make sure you include plenty of ventilation as pallet wood tends to be much thicker and can get the hutch rather hot in warm weather, also consider that pallet wood is very heavy and so if you are making somethign to house three it is likely to require two people to lift it so maybe some sort of ability to split it for ease or including some form of handles

Smile
Welshy

My rabbit hutches are
4' x 18" house over 4' x 4' run
5' x 2' house with 5' x 3' run

No problem using reclaimed pallet wood, but the hutch will be heavy!

Good point! Pallet hutch would be on the heavy side Sad
Welshy

Just make sure you include plenty of ventilation as pallet wood tends to be much thicker and can get the hutch rather hot in warm weather, also consider that pallet wood is very heavy and so if you are making somethign to house three it is likely to require two people to lift it so maybe some sort of ability to split it for ease or including some form of handles

Smile

I guess I will make a stand out of pallet wood and get some plywood from the store Rolling Eyes
Bodger

I wouldn't worry about the weight of your DIY hutches if I were you. Once you have them where you want them, you aren't going to be moving them very often, if at all. Pel

I wouldn't worry about the weight of your DIY hutches if I were you. Once you have them where you want them, you aren't going to be moving them very often, if at all.

But it is handy if you can move them, as they might be ok in one point for winter but come summer the sun might be too hot where they are and you have to move them to a shadier spot.
Bodger

Thats at least one move a year then ? Laughing Welshy

I wouldn't worry about the weight of your DIY hutches if I were you. Once you have them where you want them, you aren't going to be moving them very often, if at all.

But it is handy if you can move them, as they might be ok in one point for winter but come summer the sun might be too hot where they are and you have to move them to a shadier spot.

Well, we live up in the rugged hills, mainly windy and not much sunshine, so no problem there Smile
Bodger

Thats North Wales for you Welshy. thumbup Welshy

Thats North Wales for you Welshy. thumbup

...and wouldn't change it for anything else Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home