Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
tahir

Rabbit proof gates???

Are there such things? I'm going to put rabbit proof round the veg plot but I eed tractor access into it, how can I secure the gates?
Jonnyboy

Bury the bottom of it six foot in the ground.
tahir

Jonnyboy wrote:

Righto... Rolling Eyes
Mary-Jane

Jonnyboy wrote:

Laughing
tahir

Mary-Jane wrote:
Jonnyboy wrote:

Laughing

Don't encourage him
Behemoth

Put flagstones or gravel in front of the gate...and remember to close it.
Treacodactyl

Places we've visited with rabbit problems put chicken wire at the base of the gates and let it drag on the ground as you open the gate. Wisley's veg garden does this.
tahir

Not a bad idea, BUT what about that stuff they use for erosion control on banks etc? It's like a rigid plastic cellular material that the grass grows through, mifght help with getting rid of the ruts the tractor leaves too?
Behemoth

Or those pavers they use in carparks that allow grass to grow through and water to soak in.
tahir

Thanks B I'll investigate.
Jonnyboy

tahir wrote:
Not a bad idea, BUT what about that stuff they use for erosion control on banks etc? It's like a rigid plastic cellular material that the grass grows through, mifght help with getting rid of the ruts the tractor leaves too?

Tractor will kill it, paving our poured concrete sounds good.

Mind you, I don't rate your chances of excluding them, but good luck farmer pickles.
tahir

Treacodactyl wrote:
Places we've visited with rabbit problems put chicken wire at the base of the gates and let it drag on the ground as you open the gate. Wisley's veg garden does this.

Just got off the phone ordering a couple of gates, the guy at Jacksons says I need to mesh the entire gate and then attach a thick strip of rubber sheeting to the bottom of the gate. Plus something like Bs suggesting
tahir

Jonnyboy wrote:
Mind you, I don't rate your chances of excluding them, but good luck farmer pickles.

Why not? Stock proof all the way round, the only weak points are the gates, if I get 'em sorted then I'm secure aren't I?
Jonnyboy

How deep did you bury it?
tahir

Jonnyboy wrote:

Haven't done it yet, Rich the tractor (who's doing it with his digger) said 12"down and 6" out
Mary-Jane

tahir wrote:
Jonnyboy wrote:

Why not? Stock proof all the way round, the only weak points are the gates, if I get 'em sorted then I'm secure aren't I?

You could try charging them a toll to come in... Wink

(Sorry - I'm in a silly mood).
Behemoth

No movement sensors and scatter guns?
judith

I was thinking more like drawbridge and moat of burning oil.
tahir

judith wrote:
I was thinking more like drawbridge and moat of burning oil.

Judith, I expected more of you Rolling Eyes
Mary-Jane

Behemoth wrote:
No movement sensors and scatter guns?

You could blast 'em with a full volume taped rendition of 'Bright Eyes' each time the movement sensor is activated.
judith

You try to be helpful, and look what thanks you get Rolling Eyes
Mary-Jane

judith wrote:
You try to be helpful, and look what thanks you get Rolling Eyes

Blokes eh? *Tsk*
tahir

Mary-Jane wrote:
You could blast 'em with a full volume taped rendition of 'Bright Eyes' each time the movement sensor is activated.

It's within earshot of the house...
Mary-Jane

tahir wrote:
Mary-Jane wrote:

It's within earshot of the house...

You could make earmuffs out of the rabbits that die with the shock (or your appalling bad taste in music)...
Andy B

get a fox, apparently a number of them are unemployed at the mo !
Behemoth

You could stand there menacingly and say to the rabbits:

Do you see any squirrels?
Do you see an hares?
Do you see any muntjac?
Why do you feel so lucky, bunny?

etc

But you probably have better things to do.
mochyn

I still say the BV6000 is your best plan...
tahir

Behemoth wrote:

Do you see an hares?
Do you see any muntjac?

etc

But you probably have better things to do.

That's the best suggestion so far, strangely appealing (or should that be appalling?)
Treacodactyl

Put a cat flap in the gate with a slide right down to your house - instant dinner. Cool
sean

Spreading ferret shit round the perimeter helps to keep them out. Or you could keep free-range ferrets in your veg plot.
tahir

Treacodactyl wrote:
Put a cat flap in the gate with a slide right down to your house - instant dinner. Cool

Also appealing Laughing
Mary-Jane

Behemoth wrote:

Do you see an hares?
Do you see any muntjac?

Aren't you supposed to add on the end... "and do you feel lucky bunny?" in a gravelly voice, whilst pointing a Magnum (isn't that an ice lolly?) or some such overly masculine firearm at the hapless bunny (who is so dim he clearly thinks he can make a run for it).

Or is my imagination just going into overdrive now?
Jonnyboy

tahir wrote:
Jonnyboy wrote:

Haven't done it yet, Rich the tractor (who's doing it with his digger) said 12"down and 6" out

Shouldn't he be Dick the Digger then?
Treacodactyl

Mary-Jane wrote:
whilst pointing a Magnum (isn't that an ice lolly?)

I thought that was a hairy private eye, still it might work.
Mary-Jane

Treacodactyl wrote:
Mary-Jane wrote:
whilst pointing a Magnum (isn't that an ice lolly?)

I thought that was a hairy private eye, still it might work.

Can eyes be hairy?
Andy B

Picture Tahir in his wellies pointing said ice lolloy at Thumper. Not Nice !!
mochyn

Mary-Jane wrote:
Can eyes be hairy?

You should try some of the hangovers I've had...
tahir

Jonnyboy wrote:
Shouldn't he be Dick the Digger then?

Nah, he's multi purpose is Rich
Mary-Jane

Andy B wrote:
Picture Tahir in his wellies pointing said ice lolloy at Thumper. Not Nice !!

When I was a kid and went out rough shooting with my late Pa, I shot my first rabbit and promptly burst into tears and sobbed "Daddy, I've shot Thumper..."

Didn't last long though, by the time we got home and the said bunny was skinned and in the pot I'd forgotten all about it.
Mary-Jane

So let me get this straight for anyone who might be joining the thread at this point in time. We have suggested the following to Tahir:

He needs to bury his gate 6' in the ground, then sit on it wearing furry ear muffs, along with his mate Dickie Digger (who has hairy eyes), pointing a Magnum ice lolly and shouting "Do you feel lucky boy? But if you don't feel lucky that'll be 50p for you and a quid each for your mates - oh, and if you're after any squirrels, muntjac, hare or other such yobbos you'll not find 'em in here ".

And this will solve his rabbit problem.

Was that about right? Wink
Treacodactyl

Why can't you just take out an ASBO on the bunnies?
mochyn

An elegant summary, M-J. The legal training wasn't completely wasted, then?
Mary-Jane

Treacodactyl wrote:
Why can't you just take out an ASBO on the bunnies?

They're not entitled to Legal Aid.
Mary-Jane

mochyn wrote:
An elegant summary, M-J. The legal training wasn't completely wasted, then?

Aw shucks - this is what I spent years revising and sitting law exams for.
dpack

electric makes em cautious Cool
Andy B

Mary-Jane wrote:
So let me get this straight for anyone who might be joining the thread at this point in time. We have suggested the following to Tahir:

He needs to bury his gate 6' in the ground, then sit on it wearing furry ear muffs, along with his mate Dickie Digger (who has hairy eyes), pointing a Magnum ice lolly and shouting "Do you feel lucky boy? But if you don't feel lucky that'll be 50p for you and a quid each for your mates - oh, and if you're after any squirrels, muntjac, hare or other such yobbos you'll not find 'em in here ".

And this will solve his rabbit problem.

Was that about right? Wink

You would have to be mad to go within a mile of that. or a rabbit !
Nick

To steal someone's daft suggestion and ask a question.

How much of a moat would you need? I guess the width would be an issue, as would depth, but if you've a digger bucket, it should be a quick job. Line with liner, or half-pipe, or something and you've got rabbit proofing, irrigation supply and a trout stream all in one. Possible somewhere to grow watercress, too.

Is this a really daft idea? Or just a lot of work?

Will rabbits swim to nibble on Tahir's protruding bits?
Bugs

Oh, that's what's missing from my fantasy house. Walled garden. Library. Moat.

It might be a whole lot of work (and maybe not fit Tahir's undulating slopes) but as you said it could be practical as well and provide a wildlife refuge too.

Rabbits don't strike me as enthusiastic swimmers?
Treacodactyl

Bugs wrote:
Rabbits don't strike me as enthusiastic swimmers?

Even if they are fill the moat with piranhas and if they still make it across at least they'll not be able to breed. Shocked
dpack

they can swim
Penny Outskirts

dpack wrote:
they can swim

I'd agree - well they did in Watership down......
dpack

time to learn firearms drill tahir .
i see bunny , i shoot bunny , i eat bunny .
you wont get rid of them but you can share Smile and they are good food .
how to eat your neighbours crops and then your neighbours thank you for it Laughing Wink
Lozzie

One technique I am pretty sure does NOT work is using a Knight of the Round Table to guard your land -

tahir

Lozzie wrote:
One technique I am pretty sure does NOT work is using a Knight of the Round Table to guard your land

How do you know that?
Lozzie

Embarassed Sorry I thought you were a Python fan ...?
tahir

Lozzie wrote:
Embarassed Sorry I thought you were a Python fan ...?

Aha, not really, like 'em but not a fan as such.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home