Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption
 


       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Jamanda

Rabbit traps

has been temporarily moved.
Silas

To where and why?
sean

To the staff room because it had degenerated considerably overnight.
Bebo

And it wasn't me this time Laughing
Silas

oooh - what have we missed then?
Bebo

So it wasn't you either..........
Silas

I don't think so. Trying to think what I posted now.
Brownbear

It's probably my fault for failing to respect diversity ('the Hare Coursing Community') again. No telling-off by PM this morning though.
Silas

Ahhh....

Not me then....
Brownbear

Silas wrote:
Ahhh....

Not me then....


You started it Wink
Bebo

Now now boys, no arguing or you'll get this thread locked as well!
Silas

Brownbear wrote:
Silas wrote:
Ahhh....

Not me then....


You started it Wink


Sounds like you finished it Wink
Brownbear

Bebo wrote:
Now now boys, no arguing or you'll get this thread locked as well!


Who's arguing? I find myself in the unnerving position of being totally in agreemant with Silas over this.
Silas

Brownbear wrote:
Bebo wrote:
Now now boys, no arguing or you'll get this thread locked as well!


Who's arguing? I find myself in the unnerving position of being totally in agreemant with Silas over this.


Don't worry Brownbear, its probably not you. I have been agreeing with Cab a lot just recently too.

I think I must be coming down with something.
vegplot

Do you think we'll get our thread back?
Brownbear

vegplot wrote:
Do you think we'll get our thread back?


Doubt it. If so, they'd have just deleted everything since the enquiry from the New Zealand sadist.
Silas

Brownbear wrote:
vegplot wrote:
Do you think we'll get our thread back?


Doubt it. If so, they'd have just deleted everything since the enquiry from the New Zealand sadist.


Errr... had your PM yet?
vegplot

Silas wrote:
Brownbear wrote:
vegplot wrote:
Do you think we'll get our thread back?


Doubt it. If so, they'd have just deleted everything since the enquiry from the New Zealand sadist.


Errr... had your PM yet?


Did you get detention?
SheepShed

So did the Kiwi return then ?
crofter

Brownbear wrote:
It's probably my fault for failing to respect diversity ('the Hare Coursing Community') again.


If I remember correctly, you stated earlier in the thread that you do not have a problem with people hunting with dogs for food, they just become sadists when dogs are used to hunt for sport. Do you consider the breeding of large numbers of ducks and pheasants specifically for the purpose of being shot (and people who shoot for sport rather than food) as sadistic also?
Silas

crofter wrote:
Brownbear wrote:
It's probably my fault for failing to respect diversity ('the Hare Coursing Community') again.


If I remember correctly, you stated earlier in the thread that you do not have a problem with people hunting with dogs for food, they just become sadists when dogs are used to hunt for sport. Do you consider the breeding of large numbers of ducks and pheasants specifically for the purpose of being shot (and people who shoot for sport rather than food) as sadistic also?


Eyup- I think we all know where this one's going....
vegplot

Moral maze.
Brownbear

crofter wrote:
Brownbear wrote:
It's probably my fault for failing to respect diversity ('the Hare Coursing Community') again.


If I remember correctly, you stated earlier in the thread that you do not have a problem with people hunting with dogs for food, they just become sadists when dogs are used to hunt for sport. Do you consider the breeding of large numbers of ducks and pheasants specifically for the purpose of being shot (and people who shoot for sport rather than food) as sadistic also?


A good and interesting question. Firstly, as far as duck are concerned, I had no idea any one bred them for release as a quarry species. If that is the case, then what I say about pheasant applies to released duck also.

For pheasant shooting, I don't think the majority of people take part for the pleasure of killing (it would be a lot cheaper and easier just to buy a dozen guinea pigs, take them home and hit them all with hammers, or set the dog on them), though I have heard of cases (on shoots where wealthy idiots demand high bags on shoots in order to impress their guests, or to satisfy some obscure willy-waggling desire to 'bag' more than other shoots) where an excess of birds have been shot and their remains buried in a pit. I've never seen it or seen actual 'evidence' of it, but I have heard it reported anecdotally and do not consider it impossible.

In this case - where the birds are shot and then wasted, it is certainly pointless, and therefore immoral. The method of killing - shotgun fire - is a more humane one than being torn asunder by hounds, so I would not go so far as to call it sadistic. I would however say, wherever it has happened or might in the future happen, that it is absolutely disgraceful behaviour, and all involved should hang their heads in shame (or as they would have no shame, in abject apology for the foul name they give all responsible Guns), and should sell their guns and take up airsofting.
vegplot

There's a wide gulf between enjoying shooting as a sport (with the bonus of having something for the pot) and apposed to simply killing for enjoyment. Bystanders can confuse the two.
Brownbear

On th topic of releasing birds into the wild with the intention of later shooting them for food, I would point out that it is a sweeter life and less stressful death than farmed meat animals get, however well they may be cared for.
crofter

Personally, I enjoy shooting. I do not enjoy shooting because it involves killing things, but I do enjoy eating whatever I might shoot. This morning for an hour or so before dawn I was lying in a swamp waiting for a chance to shoot a goose, but they decided to visit somebody else's fields today. I would have preferred to have one hanging up as I type this, but it was a good way to start the day regardless. Thanks to Brownbear for a considered reply, I thought there might be an inconsistency in your argument, but I see there is not!

Brownbear wrote:
On th topic of releasing birds into the wild with the intention of later shooting them for food, I would point out that it is a sweeter life and less stressful death than farmed meat animals get, however well they may be cared for.


I am not going to argue with this point, although I do not entirely agree... (battery cages?!)
gil

crofter wrote:
Brownbear wrote:
On th topic of releasing birds into the wild with the intention of later shooting them for food, I would point out that it is a sweeter life and less stressful death than farmed meat animals get, however well they may be cared for.


I am not going to argue with this point, although I do not entirely agree... (battery cages?!)


Does this depend on where the birds are being raised and who by ?
For small shoots round here, the people who organise them rear pheasants from chicks in large runs in the woods with huts in. When the birds are older, they are let in and out of these pens morning and evening like domestic poultry, and allowed to free-range (hopefully tempted back at night by feeding time). Then they are released as the shooting season gets closer.

Is there some kind of pheasant 'battery farming' goes on, then ?
vegplot

I would guess that were profit is the prime motive then this would occur, as opposed to an ethical business.
crofter

Is there a legal framework under which game birds are reared? I don't know much about it, but would agree that SOME game birds have a better life and death than SOME farmed animals. Which is meaningless. What about birds which are shot and winged? How humane is their death?
Treacodactyl

crofter wrote:
What about birds which are shot and winged? How humane is their death?


Funny you should say that, just the other night there was someone on one of those TV vet programmes that had a winged goose in. They said it was quite common and her views of bird shooting was similar to other people's views on coursing.

Back to reared game birds, round here they did import many from France and, IIRC, some are reared in less than what I would say are ideal conditions. You often see crates of the young poults being driven about, released and then shot by people who certainly don't shoot for the pot.
vegplot

crofter wrote:
Is there a legal framework under which game birds are reared? I don't know much about it, but would agree that SOME game birds have a better life and death than SOME farmed animals. Which is meaningless. What about birds which are shot and winged? How humane is their death?


Organisations such as BASC work very hard to improve shooting in the UK and by raising awareness and standards. One hopes the message gets through to shooters.
shadiya

and there I was, thinking, ooh, marvellous, rabbit traps! having seen the picture of the dead bunny sent in by Frewen and jealous as can't shoot for toffee so certainly can't try aiming at anything more alive than a tin can but it's not, how very disappointing....
Brownbear

shadiya wrote:
and there I was, thinking, ooh, marvellous, rabbit traps! having seen the picture of the dead bunny sent in by Frewen and jealous as can't shoot for toffee so certainly can't try aiming at anything more alive than a tin can but it's not, how very disappointing....


But rabbit traps DO work - just not well enough to clear a farm. You can get a regular supply for the pot with a rabbit trap.
dpack

how many would clear a farm ?
i aint got a clean shot at one yet and i can get close or at more distance Embarassed
Brownbear

dpack wrote:
how many would clear a farm ?
i aint got a clean shot at one yet and i can get close or at more distance Embarassed


If it's a farm, I'd suggest rabbit netting and drop traps. Use good netting and there's your bunnies taken care of for 20 years.
dpack

would 30 ltr barrels make drop traps ?
Brownbear

dpack wrote:
would 30 ltr barrels make drop traps ?


Yes, and then you need to build the wooden part that goes on the top. I have a design somewhere, I think. the important thing is to let the bunnies through most of the time, and only activate the traps once a fortnight at the most. Otherwise, they'll see the danger and never ever use the tunnels.
dpack

ooooh Twisted Evil
dpack

at the mo they are getting fat and giggling
operation rolling thunder looks appealing
farmerbrowne

effective rabbit trapping

I have discovered recently that several local butchers will pay up 1 per trapped rabbit... seeing as we are inundated round here with the sex-mad little blighters I thought I might have a crack at trapping a few (or a lot) to sell... can anyone recommend a good way of trapping them.
I have come across several different styles of trap - noose traps, cage traps, etc, but I am not sure which would be the most effective for a novice. Any advice on the matter would be much appreciated.

f-b
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home