Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
towerhill

Rabbits

Hi all,

I've noticed that our cats are bringing in rabbit kittens about once a week now (they are dead good mousers/ratters). We have never had rabbits. The nearest I've seen them is 1/2a mile up the lane.

Also I've had a fox around a lot more than usual - probably a mum looking for food - had to shout it away from the cat food bowl (next to our doorstep) at 5.30am this morning because it work me up with it's barking.

I figure that..

1) Rabbits will decimate the plants in the veg patch.
2) The scent of the rabbits spraint is attracting the fox who will then find our chickens.

While feeding the horses I have just found the burrow in the Pembrokeshire Bank next to the field gate.

What are my options as I do not wish them to breed?

1) Piano wire snare at burrow entrance - then dinner or fox food.
2) Poison - may kill cats.
3) Carbon monoxide the lot of them with exhaust fumes.

I can't afford the fencing and hassle of having them and I figure that they have only just moved in - I don't want them to get a foothold.
towerhill

Please !! Any ideas? Otherwise the lot of them withh get gassed in the morning. I'm not even sure that is legal!
Penny Outskirts

Do you know anyone with Ferrets?
sean

PM Brownbear. He murderises bunnies for a living.
towerhill

No but I knew a guy with the clap once.
towerhill

sean wrote:
PM Brownbear. He murderises bunnies for a living.

Yeah - but he's miles away and this is just the beginnings of a warren. If it becomes a problem I'll get in touch with him.
sean

I meant that he may not have seen this thread and would probably have some useful advice to offer.
towerhill

sean wrote:
I meant that he may not have seen this thread and would probably have some useful advice to offer.

Sorry my mis-understanding.....
Tavascarow

Re: Rabbits

towerhill wrote:

I figure that..

1) Rabbits will decimate the plants in the veg patch.

Yep
Quote:
2) The scent of the rabbits spraint is attracting the fox who will then find our chickens.

The fox will find your chickens in a months time when its cubs are weaned & starting to eat meat, regardless of whether there are rabbits or not.

Quote:
While feeding the horses I have just found the burrow in the Pembrokeshire Bank next to the field gate.

What are my options as I do not wish them to breed?

1) Piano wire snare at burrow entrance - then dinner or fox food.
2) Poison - may kill cats.
3) Carbon monoxide the lot of them with exhaust fumes.

Snares may catch your cats as well.
I think you have to be a registered pest operative to poison or gas.

Quote:
I can't afford the fencing and hassle of having them and I figure that they have only just moved in - I don't want them to get a foothold.

feed your cats less & learn to shoot.

Laughing
towerhill

Tavascarow - I love common sense.
Brownbear

Gassing with CO from an exhaust pipe is effective and relatively humane, but illegal. For gassing, you should use Talunex, but it has just been withdrawn by the manufacturer. Natural England have designated themselves the protectors of ikkoo fwuffy bunnies from impertinent attempts to kill them.

I'd personally go and buy a .17HMR - you can lose a few veg to the bunnies, and eat some of them in exchange. Whistle the foxes in and head-shoot them with the HMR at about 50-75 yards if your marksmanship is up to it.
towerhill

HMR - I wish - unfortunately I went through a bad patch a few years ago and the doctor would definitely not let me have one.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home