Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
T.G

Rain

When???? If it carries on this dry spell we'll have lovely hay making weather but no grass to make it!! Anyone know of a tired and tested rain dance or is prone to singing out of key? Laughing
Mrs R

Very stressful for us, especially after two harsh winters and a dry summer last year Rolling Eyes we're eyeing up potential cull candidates - no room for passengers anymore!

All our land is adapted for sopping wet conditions, this really is a curveball for our pastures!
Hairyloon

Re: Rain

When???? If it carries on this dry spell we'll have lovely hay making weather but no grass to make it!! Anyone know of a tired and tested rain dance or is prone to singing out of key? Laughing

Wait 'till we've got the roof back on...
gil

Thursday should sort you out. By nightfall.
Jo S

Are you a rain god?
earthsoul

I am on annual leave from Thursday believe me we will have two weeks of rain from then on........
Katieowl

Laughing I've resorted to the sprinkler Rolling Eyes otherwise there will be no food come later in the year.

There are cracks in what passes for a lawn like I've never seen...and this is WALES! It's supposed to rain all the time!

Kate
gil

Are you a rain god?

Laughing
No, that's the forecast for here. Heavy rain by Thursday night.
Because I won't have finished digging over the veg plots by then.
Treacodactyl

I've been wishing for rain for the last couple of months. On the other hand, if there was any rain likely for tonight we might wake up to a dusting of snow in the morning. Shocked Jamanda

Laughing I've resorted to the sprinkler Rolling Eyes otherwise there will be no food come later in the year.
Kate

BW referred to our little veg plot as "the grocery patch" the other day. (He was retrieving a football from it Rolling Eyes )

We've had the sprinkler on too - otherwise the seedlings that are just poking through won't have a chance.

The rivers and streams are all very low too.
T.G

but of course! Bound to; we turf the nags out Friday Rolling Eyes
Jamanda

And it's Mayfair here. I reckon the Maypole dancing is actually a rain dance.
Mrs R

just looked at bbc weather - we were told rain at the end of the week yesterday, now that's changed to overcast and the rain (light) apparently shunted to the weekend. After that it looks dry dry dry with (maybe) some light rain Confused Sad Sad Sad Rob R

That doesn't work this year - we turned the cows out a fortnight ago... Sad
T.G

That doesn't work this year - we turned the cows out a fortnight ago... Sad

oh eck .. it's normally a sure fire side effect Rolling Eyes
Jo S

I was hit by three drops of rain whilst cycling home. Do I win a prize? HenX

I was hit by three drops of rain whilst cycling home. Do I win a prize?

Sure it was rain, and not someone washing their windscreen??!
Rob R

We had six last week...
Chickem

might have been a bird having a pee Wink
Laughing Laughing
Jo S

Laughing Laughing

I was going to aim this at CF but it's all for you!

Thrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrpt! Baggage!
Behemoth

Rain would be good. Very good. sean

Are you under pressure at the waterworks then? Behemoth

Not yet but it wouldn't hurt otherwise things could get interesting. Chickem

Laughing Laughing

I was going to aim this at CF but it's all for you!

Thrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrpt! Baggage!
Oooooh yes
bootyshake
Laughing Laughing Laughing
dpack

west yorks and york are both very dry robkb

west yorks and york are both very dry

So's London. My allotment's like a dustbowl at the moment, never had to use a hose in April before. Now I'm torn between hoping for rain and hoping it holds off until after weekend (my eldest is doing her Duke of Edinburgh hike on Sat/Sun).
Chickem

wav
we had some rain last night........not alot but it was wet Cool
Spruengli

We have rain! Now! I'm so excited!!

(I wonder if watering the garden yesterday had anything to do with it...)
Nick

How long til hosepipe bans, Elephant? Nicky Colour it green

just got soaked... trying to move a brutal broody (Attila the hen) to a coop.

its stopped now im back in...
marigold

We had some rain in the night, but not enough. It's much cooler today though, which may help with retaining what moisture there is left. earthyvirgo

Yay, rain (a bit).
Love the smell of summer rain.

EV
earthsoul

splits and splots here need more...... Katieowl

It's raining quite heavily here now Laughing

I was just in the garden centre and the mood was very happy Very Happy

Kate
Hairyloon

Thanks a bunch folks. Sad
At least we'd got it felted.
SheepShed

And here, at least I assume that's what the colourless liquid falling from the sky is - it's been so long I'd almost forgotten Laughing
Couldn't have come too soon, the pasture was really starting to suffer with brown patches appearing and very little growth.
Of course, the trick with rain is getting it to stop after you've had enough ...
Behemoth

How long til hosepipe bans, Elephant?
Don't know but some will if it continues, May needs more than average rain to avoid them. My guess that somewhere down south in early/mid june.
Green Rosie

We had a touch of rain a couple of days ago - enough to fill the water butts once but not enough for a second time once OH had transferred the water to the jerry cans. There is a bit forecast for the week-end but nothing substantial. Worrying times. earthyvirgo

Splendid, splendid, wonderful rain here now Smile Smile
Better do a slug-patrol later ...

EV
Mrs R

A tiny pathetic smattering here Sad judith

Splendid, splendid, wonderful rain here now Smile Smile

Yep. It has just arrived here with a vengeance.
Back to normal now!
Rob R

A tiny pathetic smattering here Sad

That didn't even cover the windscreen, never mind the fields.
Mrs R

I hate living in the East *sulk*. Jo S

Raining here. T.G

not a drop, not one lousey dribble,nowt, nadda, pfft... sally_in_wales

been raining most of the day here, although its very welcome for the garden I could do with saturday being dry when we are at an event if the weather gods can possibly manage that lettucewoman

nothing down here...grass verges look like high summer...all brown and dry Sad gil

Just the slightest spits earlier; very warm and mostly sunny.

Still digging ! Very Happy
Got the broad beans sown; brassicas direct into a seedbed; peas going in next.
More beans tomorrow (french dwarf, and climbing french), and second pack of peas.

Need need need to sort out muck for the spuds !
lettucewoman

According to my weather forums, there is a distinct possibility of severe thunderstorms from the Midlands north at the weekend...along with some high temperatures...Everywhere is likely to get heavy showers and possiblt thunderstorms, but the main risk atm is as above.

This weather could continue for much of the week.... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
T.G

According to my weather forums, there is a distinct possibility of severe thunderstorms from the Midlands north at the weekend...along with some high temperatures...Everywhere is likely to get heavy showers and possiblt thunderstorms, but the main risk atm is as above.

This weather could continue for much of the week.... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Thunderstorms and lashingsof rain will do .. i simply adore thunder,,, and the rain is more than welcome Very Happy
earthsoul

told you as soon as I am on leave the rain comes.... T.G

it's SPITTING!!!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Mrs R

GOOD!

I'm trimming up the longwools and would like to leave them out in the rain then so the good bits of fleece get washed - not to mention the grass!
Jo S

Raining here.

Stopped 5 mins after I got the laundry in.
sally_in_wales

forecast is currently for it to hammer down all day on saturday when we are up north Sad Oh well, suppose we have to find out of the new tent is waterproof at some point. Shame, was hoping we might actually get some visitors to the show Sad gardening-girl

Whats rain?
I`ve forgotten.
Jamanda

Looks like we might all get some at the weekend - with associated flashes and rumbles.

It did rain here today.... for five minutes just as the May Queen was crowned Sad
Mrs R

where in the glorious North are you going sally?

*happy dance* raining here, and I got all but one of the longwools clipped! Now going to turf them out on some good clean grass and let them have a wash...
northmoor

We got rain!!!! I am wet through, its great, I hope it keeps up, we have no grass, and so desperately need this rain, the place has been like a desert. T.G

Rain overnight Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

and forecast on and off all week - that'll do nicely Wine
Nick

Can I doomsay about floods? We don't need too much rain, too soon. the ground's like iron, and it won't sink in, but run over the top. Flash floods are a nightmare.

Lots, but spread out would be nice.
T.G

Can I doomsay about floods? We don't need too much rain, too soon. the ground's like iron, and it won't sink in, but run over the top. Flash floods are a nightmare.

Lots, but spread out would be nice.

Quote:
and forecast on and off all week - that'll do nicely Wine
wayyyyyyy ahead of you there olde sport Wink Jo S

We have rain. And thunder. lettucewoman

We have really dark clouds and constant rumbling over the channel...but apart from a really strong gust of wind nothing else...no rain or lightning Sad catbaffler

It's p****ng down - WOOHOO! blob1

Perhaps it'll close up the chasms that have appeared on my allotment!
Penny Outskirts

Just dark, and very muggy here Sad gardening-girl

It has piddled down for about an hour.A bit of thunder.
Everthing smells fresh.
Penny Outskirts

We had some wonderful thunder and lightening and a tiny sprinkle of rain, nowhere near enough for the farmer though Sad gil

Been raining on and off all day. Thunder just started; seems quite close.

I don't think we've suffered from the lack of rain up here as much as some of you further south - the fields and hills have greened up nicely in April, it was all looking lush even before this rain, and all the livestock is outdoors by now.
gardening-girl

Still raining,lots of thunder and lightening. cir3ngirl

We had some wonderful thunder and lightening and a tiny sprinkle of rain, nowhere near enough for the farmer though Sad

Hammered down here and somebody needs to take dog out Rolling Eyes
Penny Outskirts

We had some wonderful thunder and lightening and a tiny sprinkle of rain, nowhere near enough for the farmer though Sad

Hammered down here and somebody needs to take dog out Rolling Eyes

Really? stupid weather, it was chucking it down in stroud too, just seems to skirt round us Rolling Eyes
T.G

Bliss, five out of eight are out Very Happy ... nice drizzle most of lastnight and a bit of drizzle now Chickem

Absolutely persisting down here.........
Bloody washing is still out Rolling Eyes
Nicky Colour it green

just had a thunder storm pass over.. with loads of rain.

not for long though
Behemoth

Tipped down for a while last night. Missed the allotment a mile away. Rolling Eyes Green Rosie

Literally 5 seconds of raindrops when I put the birds to bed. This morning the top mm of soil is wet and there was enough to fill water butts between 1/4 and 1/3 depending on the roof size.

And the well has just run dry. With luck it will refill but if not then we are on metered water Sad
Green Rosie

Really? stupid weather, it was chucking it down in stroud too, just seems to skirt round us Rolling Eyes

Sounds like us - there was lightening to the West and it certainly SMELT like rain but it just never arrived in any useful quantity.
BadgerFace

We had rain last night, well this early this morning. Woke me around three, splashing on the Wisteria. I slipped outside in PJ's, wellies and hat for a quick walk about- lovely Very Happy Marionb

Heavy rain here now... and it sooo dark in the house... Green Rosie

"Sigh"

Will it ever rain here properly again?
SandraR

Terrific storm and heavy rain last night, still raining now. Jo S

The rain has stopped, but judging by the clouds, more will come later. 12Bore

Couple of downpours during the night, now just started to rain again. T.G

It's rained most of the morning on and off between fine drizzle and belting it down, thunder storm lastnight knocked the power off for the whole village Shocked

Told ya - soon as the nags went out it would piddle down Laughing
Chez

It's raining again. I can hear it coming down the chimney - it's a very comforting sound, since I am curled up in bed Smile Rob R

A good drop of rain for about 10 hours overnight Sat/Sun - was working outside in the morning but didn't mind getting wet, it was just nice to be wet for a change. sean

Lashing down here now. Just in time for me to go and get the dog from the hairdresser. Evil or Very Mad judith

My washing is getting a very handy second rinse atm! earthyvirgo

Lovely rain and very warm air is bringing on the PSB and black kale plantlets here wonderfully.

Could do without the slugs but doing regular patrols which seems to be working.

Also spotted the first cabbage white's so will have to get Elf cat on catching duty soon.

For the first time I've got parsley to germinate really well and have five patches coming along nicely, along with a couple of coriander.

EV
robkb

Bah, still nowhere near enough here. A few showers at the weekend just about half-filled my empty water butt and barely penetrated the surface of the ground Sad judith

My grass appears to have shot up several inches over the weekend too - the sheep are very happy. gil

Loads of rain here, ongoing; ground thoroughly soaked.
No need to water anything.
More worried about the soil surface compacting in the downpours and preventing the seeds from germinating.
giveitago

..it actually rained in surrey today, started at 4pm...still drizzling now...just about wet the ground.

Not a hope of growing any veg...not in clay anyway!
Jamanda

Actually had about twelve hours of soft persistent rain last night/this morning.

Hopefully the veg will take off a bit now.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home