Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Hairyloon

Raw meat dog food.

I went shopping with a friend today and she took me to a place that sells raw meat for dog food: everything from squirrels to venison (didn't spot any horse).
I'm rather surprised that it is such an unusual thing to find, since it is obviously the natural thing for them to eat.
The chap said that the squirrel fur acts as a natural wormer, which I am less than convinced about.
Rob R

Dogs & cats really need Paleo
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Where is this magical wonderland?
Hairyloon

Back side of Hillsborough.
I can give an address if anyone is interested... or I can possibly take orders for folk I'm likely to be passing near.
TTouch Homestead

Any squirrel I get with the air rifle go into the freezer for a few months, and then go to our dobes.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I can give an address if anyone is interested... or I can possibly take orders for folk I'm likely to be passing near.

Address/opening hours would be good thanks Smile
Hairyloon

Address/opening hours would be good thanks Smile
I'll get back to you with the address, but it is tucked up behind the big "Towsure" centre.
Don't know opening hours, sorry.
kirstyfern

You can also try this guy

www.Honeysrealdogfood.com
0844 6561566

Darlings House, SalisburyRd, Pewsey, Wiltshire SN95 5PZ

All his meat is free range / grass fed and he also wrote a book on natural feeding (I got a copy at Crufts).
NorthernMonkeyGirl

You can also try this guy

www.Honeysrealdogfood.com
0844 6561566

Darlings House, SalisburyRd, Pewsey, Wiltshire SN95 5PZ

All his meat is free range / grass fed and he also wrote a book on natural feeding (I got a copy at Crufts).

Thanks for the link, fired off an enquiry Smile
At this rate dog will be eating better than me Laughing
Rob R

Call me cynical, but I've never seen a dog chewing on a carrot Wink

ETA - yes, I'm well aware that some people have dogs that regularly chew carrots, but it's not common
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Maybe not, but if I can fob her off with 1/3 carrot then it'll be cheaper... Wink Rob R

Indeed, it was just that the first thing I read on their website was;

Quote:
Honey’s is a small, ethical, family-run working dog food company. We believe that working dogs should eat the same sort of diet that they would enjoy if they lived in the wild.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I'm also choosing to ignore the homeopathy mentions Wink Nick

Homeopathic meat would be miles cheaper. NorthernMonkeyGirl

Homeopathic meat would be miles cheaper.

Can you imagine the disgusted looks I would get from the dog Laughing Laughing
Rob R

Laughing Nick

Feh, he drinks it all tthe time anyway. Your failure is in convincing him. Hairyloon

"Real Pet Grub", Jerico Works, S6 4JR
Cathryn

Why don't you just talk to your local butcher? Is this some sort of special raw meat for dogs only? Confused

I use to buy boxes of very cheap free range chicken carcasses for our dogs. I used to make soup with quite a lot of it for us and feed the rest to the dogs.

Our current dogs get a lot of lamb but it is always cooked. Jack feels that feeding any raw meat to dogs is asking for trouble, so it gets cooked for them.
Hairyloon

Jack feels that feeding any raw meat to dogs is asking for trouble...
What sort of trouble?
Cathryn

I think he is superstitious about feeding lamb to sheepdogs. jamanda

I know what the trouble is if Milo gets it! And it ain't nice to have to clear up! Cathryn

Smile

Decayed dolphin does that to ours.
Rob R

One of mum's customers insists on giving Chester biscuits - but she's not the one who has to live with him for the following few days! Cathryn

Smile How's Bru? Discovered biscuits yet? Hairyloon

I think he is superstitious about feeding lamb to sheepdogs.
Give 'em squirrel then.
Rob R

Smile How's Bru? Discovered biscuits yet?

He's discovered everything that drops from the high chair. The kitchen floor also has rather more pee on it than it used to have but he eats bones like an old pro. Also sticks, newspapers and babies feet if you're not careful - she tells him to get down now, though. Had his first jabs & was chipped the other day - he never flinched!
Rob R

Oh, and he rounds Chester up, and tries with us, so there's promise for the sheep.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home