Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Rob R

Raw Milk

I was trying to find a previous thread on this subject, but to no avail. Anyhow, Ixy found this link, so if you live in the Hailsham area, there is a supplier for you:

www.hookandson.co.uk

Edited for geography
jamanda

Lucky Banbury. I wish someone near here did it.
Rob R

Nearest I can find is;
Guernsey cows:
Olive Farm
Babcary
Somerton
Somerset
TA11 7ES

Who seem to sell mainly at London farmers markets Confused

Friesian cows:
Dykes Farm
Slough Lane
Stoke St Gregory
Taunton
Somerset

01823 490349

Available from the farm.

I'll keep looking...
dpack

treen ,illogan Wink
Rob R

Jamanda wrote:
Lucky Banbury. I wish someone near here did it.

You may be interested in this website.
Mutton

Ooh, jersey milk. In my teens our milkman was also the dairy farmer and he kept Jersey cows. At the right time of year you had to use a tea spoon to get the clotted cream out the top of the gold-top milk bottle before you could pour out the double cream, then finally the milk.
Mmmm
tarabella

Banbury? The link takes you to a farm in the South.
Rob R

tarabella wrote:
Banbury? The link takes you to a farm in the South.

Bah, you're right- they need their google map link fixing Rolling Eyes
tarabella

And I was getting all excited about putting gold-top on my cornies tomorrow Laughing
Rob R

Gold top is channel islands milk isn't it? Do you mean green top?
tarabella

Yes, green top,sorry. The dairy across the road used to do it; un- pasturised but TB tested. They couldn't sell it and only produced it for their own use. They could always be persuaded to barter for duck eggs though. Sadly they closed earlier this year. I don't think there are many small dairies left Crying or Very sad
Rob R

Rats- I've just found their details!
maryf

There's a farm less than 2 miles from me that sells Jersey milk - raw or pasturised, it's excellent we get some most weeks. His beef is good too!
milkmaid

your lucky it's illegal to sell in scotland Crying or Very sad
Rob R

maryf wrote:
There's a farm less than 2 miles from me that sells Jersey milk - raw or pasturised, it's excellent we get some most weeks. His beef is good too!

Pure Jersey beef?
Mrs R

Jersey milk is truly a milk apart.
wellington womble

oops, just seen this thread. I'll see if I can merge them.
Rob R

Just got an e-mail from Big Barn with the following in:

Quote:
Raw milk, dangerous or medicinal

The story of raw milk may sum up the food industry. The Food standards agency say it is dangerous, whilst many others, including some scientist, say it is the only milk to drink. Read on and we welcome your feedback.

Raw milk is fresh from the cow, cooled and has a shelf life of about a week. All of the milk in the shops is pasteurised and or homogenised and lasts for about 3 weeks.

Raw milk is said to cure many allergies, including eczema, and can be made in to cheese or yoghurt as it sours naturally. Other milk last for 3 weeks and if not consumed turns putrid.

Pasteurising means heating the milk to kill any bugs and homogenised means passing the milk through tiny holes at pressure to emulsify the fat in to tiny bubbles. This means the fat stays in the liquid and does not separate with the cream rising to the top.

Pasteurisation ALSO; destroys enzymes, denatures anti-microbial and immune stimulating components, diminishes nutrient availability, denatures fragile milk proteins, destroys vitamins C, B6 and B12, kills beneficial bacteria, promotes pathogens and is associated with allergies, increased tooth decay, colic in infants, growth and behavior problems in children, osteoporosis, arthritis and heart disease. www.realmilk.com

So why is raw milk banned in Scotland and only available in this country direct from the farmer? A dairy farmer is not even allowed to sell his raw milk to a local farm shop!

This a classic UK ‘food industry’ fix for the milk industry. Ignore the positive effects of raw milk and enforce pasteurisation.

This means that small dairy farmers cannot poison anyone, increase shelf life of all milk to allow a longer supply chain and make milk a commodity to reduce price, and stop people making their own cheese and yoghurt.

All very interesting, and why I am signing up raw milk producers to sell through our MarketPlace. I will be buying in bulk and freezing some for later use, and hope to see the slight rash on my right arm disappear. We of course, welcome your comments below.

Comments:

Marion Fordy says:

Great article and typical of this nanny state. Did you know we spend £180m on health and safety compared to £0 in France.

I am worried that the fat bubbles in homogenised milk are like hydrogenated vegetable oil and actually pass through the intestinal wall in to the blood. All leading to heart disease and skin problems. Why can’t we just have natural food and drink! Please encourage more dairy farmers to sell their raw milk.

Angela Adderson says:

Hi,
My name is Angela Adderson and i am married to Gary who produces the most amazing raw milk. As the article above states, we can only sell raw milk to the actual consumer, not to a shop to re-sell. We sell at Olney farmers market on the 1st Sunday of every month and Woburn farmers market on the 3rd Sunday of every month. We also do a doorstep delivery to the villages surrounding North Crawley, Nr. Newport Pagnell, and we sell directly from the farm. We have numerous customers who are prepared to travel quite a distance to collect raw milk from us. Usually because of intolerances to pasteurised milk. We have one customer who hasn’t been able to drink milk for 20+ years without feeling ill. Since finding us, she now drinks raw milk, with no adverse effect. She phones and orders 110 pints a month, which we fill into 2 pint and 4 pint plastic bottles, which she then freezes. Please give us a call on 01234 391250 if you think we can help you.

John Barron & Kate Hart say:

We sell unpasteurised milk produced by our small herd of jersey cows in Herefordshire. We sell it direct from the farm and also at farmers markets in Ludlow, Cheltenham, Malvern and Worcester. Many customers travel miles to collect it. As well as helping with a variety of health conditions, it also tastes great. The jersey milk has extra cream and for the ultimate indulgence, we sell extra double unpasteurised jersey cream! Vist our website at http://www.johnsjerseys.co.uk or call us on 01531 640 275
maryf

Hear hear, I like raw milk for making cheese, don't need a "chemical" starter then, and we just like it to drink too, didn't realise about the homogenised fat stuff - ugh, we like real dairy fat!!! Embarassed
vegplot

Nat S wrote:
Jersey milk is truly a milk apart.

I know, it's what we used to produce (along with Guernsey and some Friesian). Always had it unpasteurised.
AnnaD

I really hope that they'll one day make it legal in Scotland. Funny that raw milk is illegal, yet alcohol and tobacco isn't.
Rob R

AnnaD wrote:
Funny that raw milk is illegal, yet alcohol and tobacco isn't.

Quite. There is nothing rational about it at all, even looking at the stats and risk factors involved. But then if milk were to become taxable then the situation would likely change very quickly...
Nicky cigreen

you can buy pasteurised milk that is not homogenised. Riverford (the veg box people) sell it, for example.
AnnaD

colour it green wrote:
you can buy pasteurised milk that is not homogenised. Riverford (the veg box people) sell it, for example.

We get unhomogenised milk from a farm in the Borders and it's lovely. Unfortunately we can only buy it once a week and 5 bottles only last us a few days.
Nicky cigreen

AnnaD wrote:
colour it green wrote:

We get unhomogenised milk from a farm in the Borders and it's lovely. Unfortunately we can only buy it once a week and 5 bottles only last us a few days.

freeze it?
Rob R

Interestingly, Anna, I have just found this website: http://rawmilkscotland.webs.com/
AnnaD

That's interesting, thanks for the link. It would be good if they get somewhere with it.
susanna

we still have raw milk at www.thegoodsshed.net trial period for 3 months only - please support it if you're nearby to keep it going only 40p/pint - bring your own clean bottle
Rob R

40p/pint really is cheap Smile What breed(s) of cows do you milk?
chez

Thanks for these, Rob - I am going to give them a ring today.

Rob R wrote:
Nearest I can find is;
Guernsey cows:
Olive Farm
Babcary
Somerton
Somerset
TA11 7ES

Who seem to sell mainly at London farmers markets Confused

Friesian cows:
Dykes Farm
Slough Lane
Stoke St Gregory
Taunton
Somerset

01823 490349

Available from the farm.

I'll keep looking...
shadiya

From a quick squint, it looks like black and whites.... Don't know why they don't get some proper cows! Wink

Still, they have a 180 cow herd, I expect their raw milk sales are a tiny fraction of what they produce.

I am still waiting for Patch to do her bit towards my raw milk production, ie lay a calf... Confused
Mrs R

black and whites can be great - i adore rob's uncle's black and whites and keep trying (and failing) to get my greedy mitts on some! Evil or Very Mad

patch seems to be taking her time Confused
Duckhead

To get here we had to drive through France, we camped along the way and took our time. One of the nicest things we came across was fresh milk that had nothing done to it other than being passed through a filter of some sort. It was lovely. It reminded us of when we were young.
Rob R

Found another one featured in the paper, although for some reason the online version says 'gold' in place of green. Confused

Anyhow, their website says they're not actually supplying raw at the moment while there is some sort of dispute about samples with the FSA, but it is non-homogenised and usually available raw.
gardening-girl

We buy our raw milk from a farm between Ilminster and Chard,can`t remember the name though.
Unfortunatly,the farm is a Somerset county smallholding,and they are waiting to see if it will be sold next year. Sad
Green Rosie

Here in France most supermarkets stock a small amount of lait cru ie raw milk. There are also milk vending machines that sell raw milk in either bottles you bring or you can buy a bottle from the other half of the machine.

Linky to a picture
Rob R

Thanks for making it sticky Very Happy
Rob R

For anyone looking for raw milk Hook and Son are now doing nationwide delivery!
AnnaD

For anyone looking for raw milk Hook and Son are now doing nationwide delivery!

Shocked Finally! I can get raw milk! Thanks for the link Very Happy
Barefoot Andrew

Ooh, I might give that a whirl.
A.
AnnaD

Out of interest, how do they get round the law when selling it in Scotland?
Rob R

Presumably the same way as if you were physically taking it over the border yourself? They're selling it in England... dontknow

It's from black and whites but it is organic, which I think is noticeably different even when pasteurised, so raw should be worth getting.

We'd run out and I was wondering what we were going to do for milk this morning (as we milk in the afternoon) until Nat pointed out that we have a cow! Embarassed
joanne

Ooh, I might give that a whirl.
A.

Me too - would be interesting to see if that makes any difference to me
Jools

I'd like to give raw milk a try again. When I was a kid and visited my uncle's farm, I used to avoid the milk because I thought it tasted like the smell of cowpats! Laughing

There's a dairy farmer down the lanes. Wonder if he sells milk at the gate.
Rob R

We buy our raw milk from a farm between Ilminster and Chard,can`t remember the name though.
Unfortunatly,the farm is a Somerset county smallholding,and they are waiting to see if it will be sold next year. Sad

Could this be the following?;

Friesian cows:
Dykes Farm
Slough Lane
Stoke St Gregory
Taunton
Somerset

01823 490349

Available from the farm.

I'll keep looking... Rob R

http://www.johnsjerseys.co.uk/ is also doing mail order now! Rob R

I've also just stumbled upon www.rawjerseymilk.co.uk

In the North London area they deliver weekly.
gardening-girl

The one we buy from is.

Greenway Farm,
Dowlish Ford,
Ilminster.

They milk Black & Whites.l
chez

Friesian cows:
Dykes Farm
Slough Lane
Stoke St Gregory
Taunton
Somerset

01823 490349

That's who we get ours from. I go over once a fortnight, roughly, and come home with fifty pints. I can't recommend it enough - the children are so much less snotty.
Rob R

I'll get everyone drinking raw milk at this rate Laughing AnnaD

Friesian cows:
Dykes Farm
Slough Lane
Stoke St Gregory
Taunton
Somerset

01823 490349 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              01823 490349      end_of_the_skype_highlighting

That's who we get ours from. I go over once a fortnight, roughly, and come home with fifty pints. I can't recommend it enough - the children are so much less snotty.

Do you freeze some of it or just drink a lot of milk?
chez

Chest freezer Laughing

It's a thirty mile round trip, so I combine errands.
gardening-girl

Usually to see me! chez

Awww. I never think of you as an errand Smile Rob R

I've found another one! Southview Farm Dairy, in West Sussex. Rob R

I've found another one! Modbury Organic Farm, in southwest Dorset.

Raw and Jersey - result! Cool Unfortunately the only outlet is their on-farm shop and no mail order, though.
chez

I would just like to add to this thread - we ran out of our raw milk about a week ago and simply haven't been able to get the car out to get more from the local place. The children are now STREAMING with mucus. This is the third time since we have been using it that we have had to 'go back' to pasteurised; I am convinced that it makes them considerably more snotty. gz

Anywhere near here?

I used to have green top from near Llanrhaeadr Dyffryn Clwyd when I worked near Denbigh. No sinus problems then.

Non-homogenized is better than "ordinary" organic, for drinks or cooking.

I haven't seen any green topsince I moved south Sad
Rob R

I'm onto it Cool Rob R

Unfortunately it seems to be a bit of an empty area, but I'll keep looking, the nearest in Wales seems to be on the West Coast, Taunton in Somerset or Herefordshire. Will keep it in mind, though. Rob R

Whilst looking I came across this article. Where do these people get off? Two kids struck down by E coli, both in a country where raw milk is banned and that same country has higher levels of E coli and England & Wales, and somehow raw milk is to blame for that! Confused This is a prime example of how illogical the anti-raw milk lobbyists are - even the evidence against them is used as justification. Green Rosie

Quote:
Now it needs to go further and ban altogether a product that kills

I cannot believe that end of article statement. Every house is full of any number of potentially killer substances - add onto that under-cooked food and on the basis of that quote we should ban everything Mad
chez

Oh for goodness sake! Rolling Eyes. That article's 2006, too, so clearly they haven't had much luck so far. Luckily! Rob R

I've also been reading about how the Welsh want to ban it. The stats I have seen say 0.01% of milk is consumed raw yet it's (according to some) a 'massive public health issue'. I've seen the list of all dairy establishments (brought about due to the 2006 regs) but they don't indicate which ones produce Raw Cows' Drinking Milk, so it can't be that much of an issue. Thankfully the FSA have a little more of a sensible approach on it and have managed to stave off Labour's attempts to get a ban.

And raw milk is the only foodstuff in the UK required to have a health warning. Surprised
Rob R

Raw milk sales double Mustang

So I've found a local farm which sells raw milk. Are there any sensible questions I need to ask them about the quality and safety of their milk before buying? Rob R

You could ask them about their feeding and grazing regimes - cows fed a high proportion of the dietary needs as forage inherently have healthier milk and better hygiene (within reason, though obviously it doesn't avoid post milking contamination).

Asking to see their cows and milking facilities (all the better if you can see a milking) will tell you more by their reaction than any technical knowledge. If they're passionate to talk openly about it and give you a guided tour you can be pretty sure that they are worthy.

You could ask about their TB testing (if registered as a raw milk producer they will be tested annually) but providing they are registered then you will be pretty safe there - the rules are so tight that TB hasn't been contracted from drinking inspected raw milk for a couple of generations - it's just used as scaremongering based upon very old precedents. Like most things that are 'different' the bar is set much higher than for the conventional. However you're probably best not going into their testing unless you know all about it - providing they are licensed and inspected (and passed!) that is all you need to know.

Quote:
1. The current controls on the sale of raw cows' drinking milk in hygiene and food labelling regulations are:

a) the milk may only be sold direct to consumers by registered milk production holdings (at the farm gate or in a farmhouse catering operation) or through milk roundsmen. Sales through other outlets have been banned since 1985 (although sales by the farmer at farmers markets are allowed);

b) the supplying animals must be from a herd that is officially tuberculosis free, and either brucellosis free or officially brucellosis free;

c) the production holding, milking premises and dairy, must comply with hygiene rules;

d) the milk must bear the appropriate health warning;

e) compliance with a) to d) above is monitored by inspections twice a year; and

f) the milk is sampled and tested quarterly under the control of Animal Health Dairy Hygiene to monitor compliance with standards for total bacterial count and coliforms.

2. The sale of raw drinking milk from sheep, goats or buffaloes:

a) is not subject to the restriction at 1a) above;

b) raw drinking milk from buffaloes has to comply with the herd status requirement at 1b) above;

c) raw drinking milk from sheep and goats must come from animals belonging to a production holding that is either officially brucellosis free or brucellosis free;

d) raw drinking milk from these 3 species must comply with dairy hygiene rules and microbiological standards;

e) In England, raw drinking milk from sheep and goats, but not buffaloes, has to carry the health warning. In Wales, raw milk from all three species has to carry the appropriate health warning; and

f) compliance with these requirements is monitored at inspections programmed on a risk basis.

3. The sale of raw cream:

a) is not subject to the restrictions at 1a) and d) above;

b) must comply with all the requirements that apply to milk based products under dairy hygiene rules and microbiological standards;

c) must be made with milk meeting the herd status criteria described in paragraphs 1b) and 2b) and c) above;

d) raw cream is not required to carry the health warning; and

e) compliance with these requirements is, again, monitored at inspections programmed on risk.

http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/guidancenotes/hygguid/rawmilkcream

Good advice can also be sought here; http://www.naturalfoodfinder.co.uk/unpasteurised-raw-milk-uk
Mustang

Thanks for the tips Rob. I went along to the farm today, and collected my milk. Jersey raw milk, fresh from the cow. They had just finished milking so it was very fresh.

They told me about their grazing/feeding regime without me asking. Even which fields they were using. In summer they put them on naturally reclaimed coastal flats (ready salted beef maybe?) but after they cut the fields for silage. They aren't certified organic, but farm to organic standards. They were more than happy for me to wander over the farm to see the cows, even pointing me at a large barn where some cows had just given birth the day before.

They make raw cream, butter, ice-cream as well. They make runs into London, stopping at a number of locations for pick-ups.

Very occasionally, they have Jersey Beef available. They hang it for 4 weeks. My name is down for some of the next order.

The milk itself tasted really nice. Creamy but still with a 'clean' and fresh taste. Takes a bit more work to create my micro-foam for my coffee though than 'normal' milk.
Rob R

Ah, yes, I think I know the supplier you are talking about. As a general rule raw milk producers have to be so much better than your average dairy farm as they have to be or the milk won't keep long enough to sell, unless they really are trying cash in on it, in which case it's unlikely they'll be registered. Mrs R

Jersey beef is very good Cool hanging for 4weeks though? Hope it's got a good fat covering Confused and I'm wondering what they'd feed a jersey to get it that fat Laughing Rob R

Maybe they're just producing "instant jerky"? Laughing Rob R

Today we visited Wheelbirks for some raw Jersey milk - if anyone is in the Northumberland area they are well worth a visit for raw milk, cream and ice cream.

We've even smuggled some across the border into Scotland. Wink
Rob R

We've even smuggled some across the border into Scotland. Wink

And it's still going after all this time out of the fridge!
jamanda

We had raw milk from the super-market while we were in France. It was very good! First time BW has ever tried it - once he had it was the what we had to get! rachelk

anyone sell it it the northants cambs area! I used to get fresh goats milk, for my imaginary dog but can't any more. Rob R

I'll consult my list & get back to you tomorrow Rob R

I'll consult my list & get back to you tomorrow sean

You could pop a note in with the cheese. Wink jamanda

and tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow. Still none near us Sad Mustang

We've got it down near Ipswich if you can come down this way? My local farm is getting in a cheesemaker soon to start Jersey raw milk cheese production as well. Rob R

Damn GPRS...n Rob R

Another farm offering raw milk for delivery in the UK, and from Jerseys too! http://www.foulgersdairy.co.uk/ TTouch Homestead

Not sure if this thread is just for cows, but raw goat milk is available from these peeps, and I think they have a delivery option.

http://www.chucklinggoat.co.uk/

just up the road from us...
Rob R

Any milk, as long as it's raw, is welcome on this thread. Very Happy TTouch Homestead

Thanks- we have our own milking goat and are complete converts to raw milk. Friends who come to stay also comment on how well they feel, how their skin is better etc! Our dogs think of it like the doggy version of cocaine...they will do anything for it. Laughing dolmen

Sadly I'm unable to source any raw milk, but I'd want the organic label too, for me I see such a difference in our health over this past few years by growing and buying organic when possible.

Cheers
Smile
Rob R

I always buy organic milk if I can't get raw, unhomogenised - I think that is what product where you really can see the difference between organic/non-organic.

It's nice to see more dairies supplying nationwide now though - I think this one is the fourth that I know of.
Mustang

They appear to be selling milk that comes from another dairy though. It comes from the one I use, which is down on the coast.

Very nice milk tho.
Rob R

Beware, contents may make blood boil; Raw milk sales under review dpack

i like raw milk

moo ,bucket ,sorted

tis the industrial i have doughts about
Rob R

Surrey/Hampshire border Rob R

Not raw, but interesting none-the-less; Maple Field Milk [PDF]
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home