Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
MornieG

Re-purposing..........

Having just read the thread with the DIY pole lathe and the brilliant use of a toilet seat for the treadle, I was wondering what other items the creative amongst you have ever re-purposed for something else that was completely unrelated to the original intent of the item.

Mo.XX
dpack

various bits of a car as tunnel lighting/ventilation
dead bicycles,railway track,huge drill bits etc etc etc as rebar for mass concrete
oil drums as shoring in dropshafts
stone cutting room rollers as a the bolts of an underground portcullis
those are a small sample of repurposing ,scrapheap challenge is one of my favourite activities ,most kit can be made from a good scrap pile

one of my favourites that are quite usual is the gas cylinder wood burner but as a dpack original i recon my best is helicopter cargo net into ceiling storage rack
12Bore

I grow garlic in a toilet bowl.
Rusticwood

washing machine drum as a patio heater
MornieG

washing machine drum as a patio heater

Like that Rusticwood.

Mo.XX
pookie

I made an old coat into a backpack yesterday

from this.....

to this.....

Rusticwood

Mistress Rose

The washing machine drum heater has been used for a few years in coppicing circles. What we tend to sit round in the evenings in places we aren't allowed to light a fire on the ground. If you put a grid over the top you can cook on it too. Yours looks a particularly smart conversion Rusticwood; we mostly prop it up on bricks.
Rusticwood

The washing machine drum heater has been used for a few years in coppicing circles. What we tend to sit round in the evenings in places we aren't allowed to light a fire on the ground. If you put a grid over the top you can cook on it too. Yours looks a particularly smart conversion Rusticwood; we mostly prop it up on bricks.

I did it a few years ago and just reversed the pulley to make the stand
Mistress Rose

One of our members started them, and they have taken off round here. Not sure where he got the idea from; may have seen one of yours, or come up with the idea himself. He did ones with stands for a while and tried to sell them, but don't think he does now. He sticks to trug making and a bit of light thatching spar making.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home