Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
judith

Rebellion in the ranks!

OH has finally rebelled. He is refusing to eat any more eggs for a while - claims he has reached saturation point!

I'm going to freeze a load, and we will have a houseful of people at the weekend, so that will help with the backlog. But I am considering this a challenge to sneak eggs past him without his noticing. Lemon curd certainly works, and I can use a few to make some more icecream.

Any more ideas for sneaking eggs onto the menu?
tahir

Laughing

No ideas, I'll have a think
sean

Egg liaison sauces, hollandaise, bearnaise etc.
Carbonara

How heavily disguised do they need to be?
judith

I think if it looks or tastes eggy, then it won't wash.
Bugs

Enriched dough things - brioche, panettone etc? Freeze really well, sliced up and ready to toast from the freezer.

With your lemon curd I saw a recipe in the Telegraph for a Victoria sponge with half a jar of curd mixed in to the mix and the rest splodged on top (you might want to check the exact instructions). Sounds nice and what with eggs in the cake and the curd would see off a fair few.
Nanny

rebellion

custard tarts
custard
custard ice cream
salad cream
quiche (if you must)
scotch eggs (they don't have much egg in them)
Andy B

Pickle them !
Bugs

Sorbets could use up spare egg whites?
Treacodactyl

Lemon Meringue Pie?
judith

Re: rebellion

Nanny wrote:
scotch eggs (they don't have much egg in them)

Laughing
Jonnyboy

You can freeze egg whites.

Make some custard and freeze that as well, how about a luxury bread and butter pudding or even creme brulee.

Souffle's use a fair few as well.
judith

Got a whole menu here, excellent.

Twice-baked souffles to start
Then I'm toying with either a pasta carbonara or something and bearnaise sauce (tarragon has just started to come up)
Love the double-whammy with the cake & lemon curd - that will definitely work

Keep 'em coming!
Andy B

Andy B wrote:
Pickle them !

On reflection not much of a disguise! Embarassed
bagpuss

cake!
chocolate moose?

I have a lovely recipe for an middle eastern orange cake which uses a lot of eggs I could dig out for you if you want
joanne

He's eggbound is he Rolling Eyes Very Happy

I'm sorry but this has tickled me - The thoughts of your OH sitting there poker faced with arms folded declaring "Tha's not making me eat any more eggs"

Why he should have a broad northern accent I've no idea - but you know how things pop into your head

Sorry I'm not being very helpful

Joanne
Bugs

Andy B wrote:
Andy B wrote:
Pickle them !

I don't know, it might be so obvious, that he won't realise Laughing

Bagpuss, I'd love to see the recipe for the orange cake.
tahir

Andy, that's quality Laughing
judith

jocorless wrote:
I'm sorry but this has tickled me - The thoughts of your OH sitting there poker faced with arms folded declaring "Tha's not making me eat any more eggs"

Well, if you translate it to a Chelmsford accent, the conversation went pretty much along those lines!
tahir

Judith wrote:
Well, if you translate it to a Chelmsford accent, the conversation went pretty much along those lines!

I might be moving to his (ex) hood soon.
judith

Have you found somewhere then?
tahir

Not yet, offer's going in tomorrow, hope to know on Friday (sealed bids)
joanne

Ooh Chelmsford - Does anyone remember Chelmsford 123 - one of the best historical comedies ever

Yes I know its off topic but I'm desperately trying to avoid stuffing 200 envelopes with AGM minutes and dog schedules

Joanne
tahir

jocorless wrote:
Ooh Chelmsford - Does anyone remember Chelmsford 123 - one of the best historical comedies ever

Why don't they repeat that?
Nanny

rebellion

well if you move to chelmsford, you are more or less on the doorstep for the contents of my goatshed tahir

good veggies from the contents of my goat shed, you may rest assured of the blue ribbon quality of this product.................

and it will be free to you
Bugs

I'm sure you were offering tea and biscuits last time, Nanny. Is that inflation?
Nanny

rebellion

i might rustle up a cup of something

in fact i shall be cleaning it out on tues next so tahir will be first in line for next years exciting offer.......

think of the size of the pumpkins!
tahir

Laughing

can't wait nanny, the missus is keen on goats so we might have to take a look at your goat emporium
sean

Andy B wrote:
Andy B wrote:
Pickle them !

But you could draw little lines on them using food colouring, then they'd look like onions. Especially if you cut a little bit off at the top and bottom.
Nanny

rebellion

tahir, if you get that far i will put the kettle on in your honour
nora

Heres a good one to use egg yolks
Truffles
8oz (1 big bar) plain chocolate, I use bourneville
4 egg yolks
2oz butter
4 dessertspoons spirit, brandy or rum are good
4 dessertspoons double cream

Melt chocolate in basin over hot water. When melted, add egg yolks, butter, cream. Mix together. Add spirit and stir in.Beat together until smooth. Either leave to cool ond shape into balls and roll in vermicelli or drinking chocolate OR line a small cake tin with foil, pour in mixture while still warm, put in fridge and when cool, coat with milk chocolate. :icescream: You could also pour it over the ice cream that you're making as a luxury topping.
tahir

Re: rebellion

Nanny wrote:
tahir, if you get that far i will put the kettle on in your honour

Look forward to it
dougal

And use whites for meringues.
Sponge cake is excellent cover.
All sorts of batters, not just Yorkshire Pud
Beefburgers and "croquettes" bind together nicely with a bit of egg.
Bread rolls, scones, whatever without an eggwash glazed top?
And I remember seeing an 'article' on home made pasta (1 egg per 100g flour) on some website or other...
nettie

I'm a Chelmsford girlie!!!

Anyone mentioned mayonnaise yet?
wellington womble

Choux pastry with curd in would be nice, and choux pastry with cheese in (gougere, I think - cheesy profiteroles, anyway) are fantastic, plus I'd imagine the would freeze.
ButteryHOLsomeness

how about egg nog? i know it's technically the wrong time of year but it's soooooo lovely and it doesn't taste like eggs at all Very Happy
nettie

Ah yes and home made Bailey's, I can provide you with a fab recipe if you like!
Bugs

wellington womble wrote:
choux pastry with cheese in (gougere...

Oooh yes. Gougere recipe I use (only TD finds it too rich) is a cheese choux ring in a dish, and the centre filled with a mushroom sauce. So I think you could do that with virtually any sauce centre you fancy, and no taste of eggs at all Very Happy
wellington womble

Any chance of the mushroom sauce recipe? I'm allowed out now!
Bugs

Hmm, I mightn't be about for a couple of days but I'll try to sort it out for you at the weekend if that's OK?

As I recall it was mushrooms, onions, grated carrot (disappears but adds colour and flavour)...possibly celery...cooked until soft in oil and then add flour and milk etc to make a white sauce - plus herbs, s&p etc - what I can't remember is if there's cheese in the sauce too. I don't think so though. It's very nice and looks lovely as well. Yum.
thos

Following Jonathan Swift, might I suggest roast chicken?
judith

Laughing

Thanks everyone for all the inspiration. That should help reduce the backlog. I can also slip a couple of egg boxes into our guests' luggage this weekend!
wellington womble

[quote="dougal"]
All sorts of batters, not just Yorkshire Pud
quote]

I know about frying things in batter, but what else did you have in mind? I'm a bit behind with the eggs too!

Bread pudding - has anyone mentioned that yet?
footprints

eggs

We bought 6 point of lay a couple of weeks ago. we were quite suprised to have a couple of eggs on the first day and then perhaps 4 a day for just over a week. Then the weather went cold and windy and we have had no eggs since. In fact somebody used the "shop" word yesterday with reference to eggs.

These hens (read chicken dinners) have either found a good way of disguising their eggs. Aquired a clingon cloaking device and they are piled in the corner of the nest box, or they have just stopped laying. My wife has bribed them with boiled potato concoctions and I talk paxo and spatchcocked. Still no eggs.

Never mind. Having read through 3 pages of ideas to disguise eggs
Iv'e gone off eggs anyway Smile

(What happened to the cholesterol/ 1 a week egg limit?)
judith

There is no cholesterol in a home-grown egg - didn't you know that Very Happy
dougal

wellington womble wrote:
dougal wrote:
All sorts of batters, not just Yorkshire Pud ...

I know about frying things in batter, but what else did you have in mind?

I was thinking generally, from pancakes to fritters/beignets/onion bahji (pakoras?), and then there's toad in the hole...

And if no one else mentioned it, there's never a bad time to keep the neighbours 'on-side'...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home