Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Authors Corner
cab

Recipes for Ground Elder... What else?

In a fit of insomnia on Friday, I penned and submitted via the 'news' route an article with recipes for ground elder. Next I was considering nettle recipes (after the February Wild Food one, which I must get round to).

What other wild food basic recipe primers do we need in place for Spring?
tahir

Are there any other wild spring greens?
cab

tahir wrote:
Are there any other wild spring greens?

Dozens, if not hundreds. But the ones we would most benefit from having recipes for are the ones that poeple are most likely to be confident picking. Dandelion might be a good one?
tahir

List a few and we'll see what we think?
jema

Dandylion and nettle are two that no one would have doubts about identifiying or problem finding.

jema
cab

tahir wrote:
List a few and we'll see what we think?

Dandelion, nettle, ramson, water mint, sorrel, chervil, burdock, chives, rape, lime, beech, watercress, alexancers, sea beet... They're among the more versatile spring greens.
Treacodactyl

When do the spring 'shrooms start appearing? Also is there a season for seaweed?
cab

Treacodactyl wrote:
When do the spring 'shrooms start appearing? Also is there a season for seaweed?

You'll still find the occasional blewit now, and you'll find the 'all year' mushrooms (oyster shrooms are the most common). The first spring mushrooms are normally morels and the like, I've known them to appear in February, but the first big harvest we get most years is in April, when we pick St. Georges mushrooms and chicken of the woods. Last April was odd in that we also had huge hauls of the Prince and horse mushrooms.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Authors Corner
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home