Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Hairyloon

Recommended roofer SE London?

I had a slight accident on a job the other week and broke a roof tile. I would've fixed it, but somebody speaking for the customer said to not worry as their chap could do it no problem...
Turns out that somebody did not have that authority and now they've had a quote for £240, which seems to me to be a heck of a lot for one tile...
Enough that I at least want a second opinion.
dpack

it does seem expensive but what with working at height rules etc the tile is the smallest part

turn up with kit and 2 men in big van or small wagon with public liability insurance etc
erect tower or tube to ridge(legal requirement)
roofing ladder
pull broken tile
buy tile to match
fit tile
dismantle scaff
go home
do paperwork and wait to be paid

at least half a day for two blokes and some heavy overheads which need to be included in the price

a bloke with a ladder(or handy skylight) tile ripper , hammer and sticky boots could do it much cheaper for cash unless owt went wrong.

for a legal job at london prices it seems plausible as a fair quote
Hairyloon

The tile is near bottom of a single storey roof.
I can believe that the law may require all that you have said for that, but I don't believe it is needed in reality.

Apparently they are saying it needs to be stripped back to the ridge...
I am not entirely convinced...
dpack

single story would still need a gutter line platform of some sort, actually a one story fall can be worse than a higher one as you tend to land head first rather than flat

most tiles and slates can be done by removing the broken one and fixing the new one, with a strap if needs be.

for a no show job stripping back is sometime needed it depends if they are nailed or hook over fit

seems a bit steep for a low roof job but london prices etc
vegplot

Apparently they are saying it needs to be stripped back to the ridge...
I am not entirely convinced...

Concrete roof tiles (if that is what they are) are easier to replace than slate.
Hairyloon

Concrete roof tiles (if that is what they are) are easier to replace than slate.

Is what I thought...
Maybe I'll pop down and deal with it. There were a couple of things I didn't manage to do last trip, so I was wanting an excuse to go again. Wink
dpack

hope you can find a matching tile,some builders merchants keep a stock of reclaimed ones for such jobs but my knowledge of which ones is very out of date . Pilsbury

Is what I thought...
Maybe I'll pop down and deal with it. There were a couple of things I didn't manage to do last trip, so I was wanting an excuse to go again. Wink a curry with me for one lol.
Woild you beleive my uncle wanted to try a new restaurant last week and took us to the yak place, wow its pricy, glad i wasnt paying....
Hairyloon

Woild you beleive my uncle wanted to try a new restaurant last week and took us to the yak place, wow its pricy, glad i wasnt paying....
Recently voted best curry house in SE London I heard...
Pilsbury

Recently voted best curry house in SE London I heard... god i hope not, i really didnt rate it and so over priced.
Anyway, back on for the search for a roofer lol.
Treacodactyl

hope you can find a matching tile,some builders merchants keep a stock of reclaimed ones for such jobs but my knowledge of which ones is very out of date .

I would expect a competent roofer to have loads of old tiles to choose from. I don't know what area of SE London we're talking about but where I used to live it was quite common for people to get a re-roof done when most of the tiles had many years life left. I've still got loads I picked up FOC from a job near my old house and roofers will often keep good old tiles as spares. In fact if the property has tiles that are common in an area a mooch about an area could easily lead to finding a spare tile in a skip.

If it's a cement/clay tile job with two lips on the edge of the tile they are very easy to replace.
Hairyloon

I don't expect finding a matching tile to be the main issue. Colin & Jan

Sounds like the sort of job that any competent jobbing builder/DIYer would undertake. I would expect to charge (without seeing the job of course) about £60 + materials. Might be worth having a look in the local shops to see if anyone has a card up. Hairyloon

Might be worth having a look in the local shops to see if anyone has a card up.
If I was local then I'd just go do it myself.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home