Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
JB

Recycling batteries

What do you do with any batteries you have? Looking at the WEEE regulations it seems that the acceptable options are recycle, blow them up or launch them into space but I know nowhere where I could recycle them and the other two options seem a tad extrame / expensive.

Anybody ever seen a battery recycling point?
bibbster

Currys stores have a recycling container for used batteries (or at least they do in Aberystwyth
oliveoyl

Hope the Currys near me does... I've been keeping hold of mine and ones from work for ages. I'll see if they also take ink and toner cartridges as well... I'm building up quite a collection.
Treacodactyl

Doesn't you local tip, sorry "Community Recycling Centre", take them? Ours in Surrey do and I'd guess other councils are the same.
JB

Nearest which would take them would be a 15 mile round trip, so it wouldn't really be very green to take them there. For the same reason I will often throw plastic in the bin as the overhead of taking it somewhere that would recycle it would dwarf any benefit.

Might try currys in future as I'm moving the office and the new office will be in walking distance of a Currys.
oliveoyl

I don't drive, push bike only, and my local recycling centre is on an industrial estate the other side of town, so if Currys do take them that will be much easier for me.
Treacodactyl

JB wrote:
Nearest which would take them would be a 15 mile round trip, so it wouldn't really be very green to take them there. For the same reason I will often throw plastic in the bin as the overhead of taking it somewhere that would recycle it would dwarf any benefit.

I quite often drive past my nearest one so not a problem for me. I think they've not long started collecting them as I'm kept hold of my old batteries for years so must remember to take them next time.
kidzrags

our local council collects these alongside with our household recycling, would it be worth seeing if your council could do the same? failing this I dont mind if you want to post them to me and I can put them out for recycling here (not ideal and would probably work out to be quite expensive but the offers there if you want to)
Jim
Sherbs

For some reason best known to the facilities department, there is a battery recycling collection bin just inside the main staff entrance to our building where I work.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home