Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
RichardW

Recycling is good

Today I finally got round to sorting out all the old bits of plumbing pipe & fittings that were no good for further use. Ended up with about 2 buckets full. 1 of copper & 1 of brass.

I was quite pleased with the 45.10 I got.
Lorrainelovesplants

oooh, we have a whole sackful of copper and a bucket of brass, and tons of left over and scrap steel from blacksmithing and welding classes - maybe I should send John to the scrappies? Would make for a good night out!
Nick

Steel is worth a disappointing amount when weighed in, but, copper and brass is very rewarding.
Liz in Ireland

Steel is worth a disappointing amount when weighed in, but, copper and brass is very rewarding.

There was a lady on the radio last week who was burgled whilst she was at the theatre - they took her copper water tank and all the piping, flooding the house in the process and making it uninhabitable, as water flowed through from the tank in the roof for about 7 hrs Shocked Sad
Rob R

Steel is worth a disappointing amount when weighed in,

It depends how much you take...
RichardW

I am about to strip a static caravan so asked about the aluminium sides & roof.

He said that some are galv steel sheets & was quoted just over 100 per tonne if it was or 530 per tonne if it was ali.

I guess it would amount to the same amount of cash as the ali would weigh much less than the steel.

Copper was 3600 / tonne & Brass 1800 / tonne.

Dam forgot to ask him about lead acid batteries & house hold wires (flex not twin & earth).
Ty Gwyn

Copper has come back a bit from what it was,

Last year 5,500 per Ton.
RichardW

Depends on the copper. Mine was scraps whilst I am guessing that yours was large & heavy.

This is a good site for national prices linky
Ty Gwyn

[quote="RichardW:1308675"]Depends on the copper. Mine was scraps whilst I am guessing that yours was large & heavy.

No,the price last year was for clean bright wire,from 2in armoured cables.
onemanband

And whether you would have to otherwise pay to dispose of it.
I wouldn't actively collect steel, but will seperate it from my business waste. If I scrap a ton of light iron (general mixed low grade scrap) I will get 120-150 .... but if I had sent that to landfill it would cost me IRO 160.
Nick

Same disappointing rate for a kilo as for a ton.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home