Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Cathryn

Redmite question

I thought they only appeared at night. The broody had left her (pipping) eggs today. Don't blame her, they were crawling with tiny brown mites. Everything in the coop was.

Might they be something other than redmite? I have never seen them before to identify them (and I don't want to believe that I've got them now).

I am just about to treat all the hens with some drops. The broody is still in a separate run (not the coop) so there is some hope I've contained it.

Now what to do with the four chicks that hatched but she doesn't want anything to do with. One or two had pipped so are probably mite ridden as well.
alison

Pop the chicks under a lamp, with enough room to move away from the heat if they want to. Feed and water down for them. They will be fine. Not sure what age you can treat for red mite, will look it up tomorrow, on the pot.
OtleyLad

Pop the chicks under a lamp, with enough room to move away from the heat if they want to. Feed and water down for them. They will be fine. Not sure what age you can treat for red mite, will look it up tomorrow, on the pot.

As I understand it, the mites hide away during the day in nearby cervices. So maybe put something nearby in the evening that they can hide in (like an old peice of rough bark) when daylight comes. Then burn it! Repeat until you have cleared them all. Don't think you have to treat the birds directly.
chez

A combination of diatomous earth and a liberal smearing of Vaseline, particularly on the perch ends, works well for me. You can use the diatom on the hens as well.
Cathryn

I don't need to use this coop ever again and it can be left for a year or so to be completely clear. I just want to make sure I don't carry it into he other coops.

The chicks are fine next to the rayburn under a lamp.
Lorrainelovesplants

cardboard box is good for a broody - use once then burn.

Red mite can be seen during the day if you uncover them, but you say they are brown....possibly Northern Fowl mite?
Id check your broody - if there are tiny fast mites round the vent area then its probably NFM. You could wash the broody with puppy flea shampoo - this is what I use for mine, then follow up with some Eprimex (5 drops per LF hen).
Personally Ive never had it in chicks.
As for the house - Id scorch (if you have a blowtorch) and then liberally douse everywhere inside & out with real creosote (we can get it here) or failing that Jeyes diluted 1 pt Jeyes to 5 parts water and leave to dry out for a month.
Woodburner

As I understand it, the mites hide away during the day in nearby cervices. So maybe put something nearby in the evening that they can hide in (like an old peice of rough bark) when daylight comes. Then burn it! Repeat until you have cleared them all. Don't think you have to treat the birds directly.

Unfortunately it takes a bit longer than that for them to get used to a new hidey place. I do find that corrugated cardboard, underneath the bedding, and religiously removed every few weeks does help massively though.

I don't need to use this coop ever again and it can be left for a year or so to be completely clear. I just want to make sure I don't carry it into he other coops.

The chicks are fine next to the rayburn under a lamp.

Just leaving it for a year won't clear them, although a really hard winter might. Cleaning with Jeyes, painting with creosote or substitute (not the emulsion, supposedly good for sheds, that's useless), dosing with insecticide or quite likely a good wash with a strong solution of detergent, will work wonders though. Smile

In the meantime, what everyone else has said.
Nicky cigreen

blow torch the coop, I'd also blow torch the main house and perches too.

also find diatom works here - we use it as a preventative these days
dpack

in extremis the spray for budgies etc works but has a 60 day withdrawal for eggs or meat iirc.the diatom stuff is good TTouch Homestead

If you need any DE Cathryn, I have a large bag of it I can let you have some of.

I also discovered a link to someone who uses an essential oil to help control mites on the bird, but it was a bit time consuming for more than just a couple.

Must dig out my dyna-mite spray and do my coops, got 4 sitting and very determined they are!
perlogalism

I don't need to use this coop ever again and it can be left for a year or so to be completely clear.

If you want some REAL creosote, let me know. It's the only thing i've ever found which gets rid of mite and keeps it away as well. Problem is, you can't use it when the chickens are in the coop.
dpack

my gran was a creosote user ,wood sheds ,no mites . frewen

A wash of paraffin around the hen house keeps the redmite down here Smile chez

blow torch the coop, I'd also blow torch the main house and perches too.

Blowtorching is my favourite part of poultry-keeping. I like they way they glow green and pop. I may even let an Evil Cackle (tm) creep out as I do it.
dpack

Laughing

life is to be respected but some vermin deserve a cackle
perlogalism

Blowtorching is my favourite part of poultry-keeping. I like they way they glow green and pop. I may even let an Evil Cackle (tm) creep out as I do it.

Yep, it's fun but the eggs still hatch later on Twisted Evil
Cathryn

Thanks everyone. I have kept the hen away from the others until I have chance to have a really good look at her. She's in an run with a cover over one end so she'll be okay for a day or two. I'm not completely convinced that they are red mite yet. marshdaisy

we use dethlac spray every month to ensure our houses are kept clear. works for us. Lorrainelovesplants

Also, please remember that red mite can live for 36 weeks or so without a blood feed and can travel 50yds in a night to some poor unsuspecting victim.

....and they do and will come and live in your house (I speak from personal experience).
girlracer265

i just had to creosote a coop, the heat caused a population explosion of red mite, normal cleaning and powders just were'nt enough to keep them at bay
i smell delightful lol Confused Confused
Very Happy
Woodburner

I've just had a population explosion in the cockerels boxes. Such wonderful timing . . .
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home