Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
selfsufficientish

Reduce unnecessary plastic packaging and bags petition

Online petitions have come a long way since I first heard of them and it seems like an ideal place to get your voice heard. With this in mind I have just started one up to introduce a green tax. I am aware that it is an idealistic notion but if even met half way it could make a real difference.

Here is the statement -

Quote:
Dear Prime Minister

We call for you to tax major retailers as about 80% of our waste could be reused or recycled. Most will agree that it is plastic packaging that makes up for the bulk of our household waste.

Ireland introduced a tax on carrier bags back in 2002 and it has reduced bag use by over 90%.

So why do we not introduce it here and take it further so that all retailers will have to pay a tax on packaging? It is about time that the major retailers are forced to make a real difference to what is unnecessarily produced and ultimately ends up in a landfill for centuries.

The tax should pay for environmental projects around the country and not into the chancellor's pocket.

The U.K. Could lead the way for much needed environmental reform.

and you can sign the petition by visiting here.
mochyn

OK, Andy, done that.
2steps

signed Smile
selfsufficientish

Thankyou, I just hope it at least raises the question of packaging. I hate the stuff.
cab

Excellent idea Andy. Signed.
bagpuss

This might be a better place for the petition

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/

argubly more likely to be seen by someone in government then
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home