Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Hairyloon

Refferal scheme for Free Solar energy.

I am still in two minds about this kind of deal: where you effectively rent out your roof to a PV company in exchange for whatever electricity you can get off it.

The line at the bottom is that it is probably a good deal for some people, and the reason I bring it up now is that one of the companies offering this deal (A Shade Greener) are now offering a referral scheme where you can earn money by finding them appropriate roofs .

They say they are mortgage friendly: they comply with the guidelines of the Council of Mortgage lenders, which I know is one of the big concerns with this kind of deal.

But I thought I'd mention it. See what we all think.
vegplot

It's a individual's choice. There are benefits but also downsides one of which is unless the company is local it's money being spent outside the area.
RichardW

I think that my posts in previous threads about this subject make my position clear.

If not I am against it.

The small gains are not worth the long term risks.
Hairyloon

I think that my posts in previous threads about this subject make my position clear.

Do you want to give us a link for a reminder?
RichardW

Not really Confused

Just balance the very small savings (about £100 per year) you will make on your elec bill against the very long term contract that you will have to sign & times that by the likely hood of the roof needing a repair during that time.

Having their kit on your roof will increase the cost of the actual repair & you will have to compensate them for the lost production whilst the repair is done. Take a look at the BG contract, they stop just short of asking for your first & second born.

Most roofs need some sort of a fix over a 25 year period. Having the panels fitted will increase the likely hood of a repair being needed.

Then add in the extra problems if you want to sell the property.

So far the only good deal I have seen was the barn one that a member on here got. I dont think that is available any more.
pyrotech

Produce just on 3MW, estimate only actually use about 1MW, and I'm disabled and home all day, and make an effort to use it.

If no body is at home during the day... your just renting out your roof very cheaply .....

Give serious consideration to paying up front .

Or add a solar water system... at least you benefit from the hot water.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home