Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Rob R

Regional section

As this site is dedicated to more sustainable living, perhaps it is time for a 'local' section whereby we could talk about things that are pretty specific to local areas (ie several counties) and make it more easier for visitors to find the relevant information?
tahir

I think it's a good idea but very difficult to make work, we're still trying to think of a way to make a foreign section work. the problem is that making a pond in Leicestershire, Essex or anywhere else uses all the same skills and knowledge. We really run the risk of losing a lot of useful posts in the regions pigeonhole.

If we manage to resolve these issues we'll definitely look at it.
Rob R

tahir wrote:
I think it's a good idea but very difficult to make work, we're still trying to think of a way to make a foreign section work. the problem is that making a pond in Leicestershire, Essex or anywhere else uses all the same skills and knowledge. We really run the risk of losing a lot of useful posts in the regions pigeonhole.

If we manage to resolve these issues we'll definitely look at it.

Surely digging a pond would stay in the land management section though, just as most other topics self-regulate or get nudged across by some helpful soul? I just get a bit miffed sometimes seeing something advertised for sale/swap only to find its down in the South Crying or Very sad
Jonnyboy

Likewise trying to by beef from someone who is miiiiiiles away is a pain. Wink
tahir

Rob R wrote:
Surely digging a pond would stay in the land management section though, just as most other topics self-regulate or get nudged across by some helpful soul?

Its inevitable that people will gravitate towards sections aimed at their region, is it do-able? Maybe but I think it imposes a greater work load on (as you know) a totally unpaid volunteer team, we trys our hardest already.

Anyway thats not a definite no, it took Gil more than 4 months to get the green light for his community matters forum.
Joey

yes, but local contacts and knowledge for local people is bound to be a good thing.
Although I live in Cambridgeshire, I really don't know it well but conversely I have been able several times to point people living in Ireland in the right direction because I'm from there and still have a lot of contacts and know the "lie of the land".
gil

Maybe a regional directory / what's on, but not regional boards. One of the great things about Downsizer is being able to discuss with folk in different areas. And share info, which is often relevant all over the country, such as tree nursery details

Perhaps if we wanted a regionally-oriented discussion (for example, when do people in Scotland put their tatties in ?), the thread title should be clearly labelled, not to exclude others, but to make clear, e.g. 'tatties in Scotland - when do you sow ?'

Edit : And it would be good if more members put some indication of where they live, even if it's only 'south-east', 'north'.
tahir

Well its worthy of serious discussion, lets see what other people think.
Rob R

tahir wrote:
Its inevitable that people will gravitate towards sections aimed at their region, is it do-able?

Maybe not, without a lot more effort, and you do work hard Cool You certainly couldn't replicate the forum for each region, but if you could talk about suppliers from a certain region (the egg box question prompted this)/specifically local issues, then perhaps it could. On second thoughts I'll start a poll & see where all these people come from...
bernie-woman

I can only see any benefit from selling and tradng those things that cannot be posted

I just cannot see what else would benefit from being regionally specific.

Or am I missing something?
ken69

regional

Could create a clique......I found the location as marked near the post count sufficient....
judith

bernie wrote:
I just cannot see what else would benefit from being regionally specific.

I'm with you, Bernie. Nothing that has been said so far has convinced me there is any benefit at all. Certainly nothing that would outweigh the divisive nature of artificial barriers between members.
Jb

Strike me as a bad idea, after all the boundary between something being a regional topic and a simply a topic which just happens to apply to a particular region in this instance seems a bit grey.
tahir

JB wrote:
Strike me as a bad idea, after all the boundary between something being a regional topic and a simply a topic which just happens to apply to a particular region in this instance seems a bit grey.

Thats my own personal view.

I can see what Rob's saying about the trading side of things but unfortunately thats still far too small a part of what we do.
Rob R

tahir wrote:
unfortunately thats still far too small a part of what we do.

Reason or result Rolling Eyes We're back to a chicken & egg situation. It's certainly not easy this regional thing.
tahir

Rob R wrote:
It's certainly not easy this regional thing.

No, and that's why we'll carry on debating it until we find a sensible solution.
jema

I'm against. I think everyone is liable to have an input to topics about anywhere, and aside from that I do not think it could get enough traffic to justify itself.
Rob R

I'm inclined to agree- all regionalism seems to have created this afternoon is nonsense about 'opposing' counties. Rolling Eyes
cab

Regional sections for traders seems like a good idea on the face of things... Maybe having a cross referencing tool to see how close you are to a trader might be a way forward, if its doable? Search by proximity?
jema

cab wrote:
Regional sections for traders seems like a good idea on the face of things... Maybe having a cross referencing tool to see how close you are to a trader might be a way forward, if its doable? Search by proximity?

Only with post code software, which last time we checked was £450 (and I think that was yearly)
tahir

jema wrote:
Only with post code software, which last time we checked was £450 (and I think that was yearly)

And a bit of hard graft. We're averse to neither as long as it's going to serve a purpose. Speaking purely for myself and Jema (and hopefully all the rest of us), we'd be very happy to see hugely increased trading activity here, and if that meant working harder we'd do it.
Cathryn

Has the site grown by word of mouth so far plus the odd references in newspapers? Do you want individuals to actively look out local traders or is this just a gently growing thing? I bet there is something about this on the site already isn' there!

At the moment don't think there is enough for regional. There are actually Welsh members but on other sites we are so thin on the ground... I am also far more likely to link/trade with people in England than South Wales for example (someone made that point earlier I think)
tahir

Well we're only really after traders that fit in with what we try and do, mostly small scale businesses doing something ethical, it's also nice if they contribute to the site in some way.
Cathryn

Laughing Sorry got back in from work feeling all dynamic for a change. I am happy for it to grow quietly - but thats cos I am selfish. (You have only just felt the need to add the bit about behaving yourself on line) It just struck me that most of the traders in Machynlleth my next door town would be appropriatte for downsizer. It is largely a downsizer town.
tahir

ruby wrote:
It just struck me that most of the traders in Machynlleth my next door town would be appropriatte for downsizer.

Well any traders from Machynlleth would be most welcome, cos its probably my favourite place name in the whole British Isles Laughing
tahir

ruby wrote:
You have only just felt the need to add the bit about behaving yourself on line

Mostly because we're generally a remarkably well behaved site
Shane

tahir wrote:
Well any traders from Machynlleth would be most welcome, cos its probably my favourite place name in the whole British Isles Laughing

It's not as good as Pratt's Bottom though, is it?
cab

Shane wrote:

It's not as good as Pratt's Bottom though, is it?

Or Wetwang.
tahir

There's a place in Bucks called Egypt Shocked Laughing
cab

I presume, along with traders details, we could store the county they're in? Or that the county would be in their details already? Then, presumably, that would be searchable? Just thinking aloud you understand; the postcode thing is something we've discussed in the past and probably isn't yet justified, so finding a simpler solution is appealing.
pricey

Edit :
Quote:
And it would be good if more members put some indication of where they live, even if it's only 'south-east', 'north'
.[/quote]

I agree with gil on this, couldn't this be made a compulsory part of the signing in processes.

Just a idea Confused
tahir

pricey wrote:
I agree with gil on this, couldn't this be made a compulsory part of the signing in processes.

Just a idea Confused

Difficult, forums revolve around trust and privacy, it's up to the individual how much information they want to share and who with. I don't mind people knowing I'm from Essex, others might.
pricey

I see what you mean Embarassed
Blue Sky

cab wrote:
Or Wetwang.

I'll have you know, I used to live near "Wetwang" and in fact my Grandad was a "Wetwanger" no joke!
Rob R

tahir wrote:
I don't mind people knowing I'm from Essex, others might.

Yes, I am greatly offended by the fact that you are from Essex Laughing Laughing
Rob R

simon wrote:
cab wrote:
Or Wetwang.

I'll have you know, I used to live near "Wetwang" and in fact my Grandad was a "Wetwanger" no joke!

What is so amusing about Wetwang anyway? Rolling Eyes
Shane

simon wrote:

Maybe you should have bought him a towel for Christmas instead of socks? Laughing
Blue Sky

Embarassed

Now you are just being silly
Blue Sky

IT'S A PLACE! honestly. In East Yorks ...
tahir

Rob R wrote:
I am greatly offended by the fact that you are from Essex Laughing Laughing

Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home