Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
judith

Reintroducing chicks to their mother

One of my broodies has just hatched out 3 chicks. One of these appears to be having trouble keeping up with the others, and it hasn't got the hang of diving under the hen when it is feeling cold. I went outside a couple of hours ago to find it lying on the floor about 6 inches from the hen, half-dead with the cold. I've had it under the heat lamp and it is perking up now, but still a bit wobbly on its feet. I was thinking of keeping it indoors until tomorrow and then trying to reintroduce it to the hen.
Is this likely to work, or will the hen have forgotten about it by then?
jamanda

Is it eating?
Bodger

Slip it back under the hen tonight and hope for the best or the hen might bnot take to it.
judith

bodger wrote:
Slip it back under the hen tonight and hope for the best or the hen might bnot take to it.

Thanks Bodger - that's what I did and the hen seems fine with it. I'm not sure about the chick though. It doesn't seem quite right in the head. Might have to go Crying or Very sad
Bodger

I've revived chicks that have gotten chilled on numerous occasions but sometimes its not worth it. Nature can be cruel but she has her own ways of weeding out the weak and defective.
judith

I've just had to bring it indoors - found it chilled again. I don't think it will make it on its own, so it will have to go.
I do hate this part though.
pookie

aww sorry to hear that Judith, It is the worst part of keeping chickens Crying or Very sad
saffranne

judith wrote:
I've just had to bring it indoors - found it chilled again. I don't think it will make it on its own, so it will have to go.
I do hate this part though.

i know exactly how you feel,we had one who was paralyse from hatch,thinking it might get better but did not,in the end john had to dispatch on sunday,it was only a week old,it was the kindest thing to do,although very hard,we both still feel really awful about it
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home