Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
moggins

Remains of Apple Tree

Been talking it over with XDH and the apple tree is definitely coming down next weekend. I've grown tired of the apples rotting on the tree before they have even ripened, and with it gone I will get about another 10 feet of growing room and more sun to the veggies.

Is there anyone who wants the wood? It's a fair sized tree and if there's anyone on here who makes things from wood and wants it and is able to come and collect it then it's all yours. XDH is talking about shredding it and using it as mulch for the garden but I'd much rather it was recycled in a more productive way.

I'm going to plant two more to replace it but not right in the middle of the garden this time.
Sarah D

Apple wood is sought after by woodturners, and carvers of spoons, etc, so you should find someone who can use it. Still at teh extremely early stages of spoon carving, so not for me this time. Failing that, burn it, it has a lovely scent. Wasted as a mulch, I think.
Bugs

You can presumably use apple wood for smoking, too?

If you don't have any luck on here Moggins (though there are plenty of people in your area) there is quite probably an organisation in your area of wood turners/other craftspeople etc - maybe you'd even get a little something in return for it?
Sarah D

There are the Gloucester Association of Woodturners, and the Avon and Bristol one.
moggins

Thanks for that Sarah, I've sent them an e-mail.
Sarah D

Be interested to know how you get on.
moggins

LOL got e-mail bounced back this morning marked as undeliverable Very Happy Looks like I shall be burning it after all Sad
judith

moggins wrote:
Looks like I shall be burning it after all Sad

Season it for at least 2 years - apple wood makes a lovely bright fire.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home