Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
dkba

removing sodium content in groundwater

morning all,

pardon me if i've missed any forum-etiquette, this is my first.

my old man recently sunk a borehole in ghana (about 300ft deep, will confirm). water flow is good. however, sodium content appears quite high (will confirm level). alternatives are sink another borehole elsewhere on the compound, go deeper on the first or desalinate water from the first well. he's able to produce and use carbon granules as part of the filtration process but complete purification will be achieved (hopefully) after employing reverse osmosis. question is, what's the most cost effective way of achieving this?
is there a better way of removing sodium?
basically, i'm exploring all avenues for the most cost effective way.
Flamin'Panda

how is he testing for sodium content, and what are the levels. It is surprising how high a level can be before it either tastes strange or is detrimental to health. As we run a water maker on our boat we always test before committing to the tanks.
dkba

i'm yet to obtain actual readings from lab reports but i believe taste to mouth is salty and causing utensils and other metals to rust.
Hairyloon

Re: removing sodium content in groundwater

pardon me if i've missed any forum-etiquette, this is my first.

Other than posting twice, it all seems fine... Wink
If you get to the other post before anyone replies, then you can delete it.
mochyn

Needs a full analysis of the water.
Flamin'Panda

We use an x-tec hand held tester. As long as you use a micron 5 filter before drinking you will be fine. If you are concerned, boil all water first. Years of dodgy anchorages and we are still standing.
mochyn

I've asked the old chap. He advised on groundwater for Qatar.

Basically you'll need a complete test for mineral and biological contamination. Although you can taste salt it doesn't mean there aren't other contaminants there.
Mistress Rose

As Mochyn's old chap is an expert, I would go with what he says, but it doesn't sound like suitable drinking water. As she says, there are almost certainly going to be other chemical, and perhaps biological contaminants.

Although it isn't ideal, a good way to purify water is a solar still. Reverse osmosis may do a good job too, but will need power.

I would have thought that there were people around your father who have experience of the local water situation; the best place and depth for bore holes for instance. Perhaps he should also talk to them.
Nick

You can run RO from solar, of course.
Flamin'Panda

Solar stills are very ineffective. You might as well have a hand held desalinator, and yes, I do have experience of these as well, and they take a very long time to achieve a very small amount. They, like solar stills are an emergency piece of kit.
dpack

desalination is an energy expensive game however you do it

as above i would wait for the full results before drinking the stuff or giving it to stock
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home