Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
nature's child

Rescued Hens

Well yesterday was a busy day up at 5.30 to help with the rescue,but 200 miles later and 152 girls safe. We have had 6 of the rescue hens, they seemed to cope very well when you consider what they had been through.

All our girls are in the broody run at the moment giving them chance to recover and gain confidence before we put them in with the other girls, they can see the others so hopefully they will get to know them over the coming weeks. They appear to have settled well and are doing the things that chickens naturally do. We even had one egg yesterday and two today, one from today however had got broken and they persisted in eating it, but as they have probably not seen their own eggs before I left them to it (but hope that it doesn't become a habit). They seemed a bit confussed this morning when I opened the door and didn't quite know what they were meant to do but gradually they came out (when they realised that I had put fresh food and water in the run).

Trying to put some pictures on but not having much success at the moment.
Cathryn

that souonds good. Must be such a thrill seeing them start to potter around pecking at grass.

We have our name down for a couple of rescue hens but haven't heard anything for ages - do you think I should remind them? We have had one - a beautiful healthy black rock. But I am happy to take a featherless scrap - so that my daughter can understand what their life is really like.
nature's child

I don't think a call would hurt, but basically as I understand it they take names and then when they have enough numbers they organise the rescue (being in line with the farmer of course).

My 10 and 11 year old boys came with me yesterday and although I must admit this farmer was a good one it still put them off "battery eggs", the 11 year old was searching the net on the evening and found sites not only for chickens but other livestock too. He is now adament that he won't eat supermarket meat (not even the smokey bacon that he loves) but wants to know that his meat has had a good life. Looks like our local trader at the farmers market just increased his takings.

Some of the hens are in better condition than others, I have been trying to post some pictures of our girls but having problems at the moment. But when I get it sorted out you will be able to see the difference.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home