Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
ian1001

reusing engine oil?

hi
I just changed the oil in my car last week and I now have a basin full of old black oil. I was just wondering if there are any uses for it?
thanks
oddballdave

Paint the bottom of your wooden fence posts. Don't grow anything near the fence that you are planning to eat.
Bernie66

Alot of the guys on our plot paint their sheds with it, it protects the timber from the elements.
dpack

it kills tree stumps
dougal

Bernie66 wrote:
Alot of the guys on our plot paint their sheds with it, it protects the timber from the elements.
Its pretty good against rot, but I'm not sure about weatherproofing.
Its generally a bit nasty, acidic and full of 'interesting' compounds.

It can be burned (preheating and jetting to vaporise should help make for more complete combustion) but I'd rather not be close downwind.

There are commercial operations that will clean up old oil (extracting useful things like carbon black) and dose it with a fresh shot of additives so that it can have a second go at being a lubricating oil.
They'll usually collect it from councils and recycling bins.

Don't think of disposing of it in any naughty way. But I'm sure you wouldn't.

And for the sake of your engine, in future, change it before it goes utterly nasty black... Smile
Colin & Jan

Mix it 50/50 with parrafin and it becomes a top quality paintable preservative.

Colin
alison

Fill a barrel or half barrel with sand then pour in the oil. When you have finished with a tool, dip it in the barrel and help protect it. Spades, hoes etc.
Bernie66

Good idea!!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Array Home Array Home Array